[rec.food.recipes] OVO-LACTO: Easy Crepes

laurahs@sco.com (Laura Segall) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr10.044046.23156@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
debs@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Deb Summa) writes:

>Greetings, all you Netland Gourmets! I'm looking for recipes for
>blintzes and crepes (what IS the difference anyway?) - both pancakes
>and fillings (fruit, cream cheese, mushroom, spinach,...), and of
>course whatever special techniques anyone has perfected for proper
>flipping, etc.  Thanks!

Here is a recipe for you that is very simple.

Easy Crepes

ingredients:

1 egg
1 cup flour
1 cup milk (+more for thinning as needed)

Beat egg.  Add 3/4 of the cup of milk and continue beating.  Add flour
and stir out all lumps.  Add the rest of the milk until you reach
desired consistancy.  Refrigerate, at least 1/2 hour.

Heat a non-stick frying-pan to med.  Cover the bottom of the pan with a
small amount of butter of margerine.  Pour a small amount of mix on the
pan, and then lift the pan up and move it around, attempting to cover
the entire bottom of the pan.  You may have to add a little more
batter, this is a trial and error thing.  Cook until the sides begin to
curl (you may have to help them with a knife) and then flip.  This is
not that hard, you can do it with your fingers.  WARNING:  Do not get
frustrated if the first crepe does not work!  It never does!  Throw it
out and start again.  Your second one will be excellent.

This recipe can be used for almost any filling.  Either dinner foods,
like mushroom crepes, or fruit.  I still prefer them rolled up with
maple syrup.

Variation:  Chocolate Crepes  add equal parts of powdered choc. (sweetened)
            and choc. syrup.  Cook the same way.  the crepes will be a
            little thicker.  Add perhaps 2 TBS of each.