[rec.food.recipes] OVO-LACTO: Basic Cookie Dough

andrea@mace.princeton.edu (Andrea Bertozzi) (04/19/91)

gerardo@wpi.WPI.EDU (Gerardo Leute) writes:

>I'm looking for a basic dough which can be supplemented with M&M's,
>chocolate chips, or made into sugar cookies (add sugar, right?)

basic cookie dough:

1-1.5 c sugar (brown is good too)
2 sticks butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1.5 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla and stir well, add rest
of ingredients (sifted if they are lumpy).  Mix well, and add chips,
M&Ms, nuts, what ever.  drop by teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheet
and bake at 350F for approx. 10 min.

Substitutions:

Peanut butter:  Substitute 1/2 c. peanut butter for 1 of the butter
sticks.  Brown sugar is good with this one instead of the white sugar.

Oatmeal:substitute 3c rolled oats for one of the cups of flour.  I use.
replace part of the sugar (1/2 cup) with molasses and omit one of the
eggs.  (also try peanut butter oatmeal---a great combo!!)

whole wheat flour : substitute one for one with with white flour.

ENJOY!!