[rec.food.recipes] CHICKEN: Chicken with Garlic Sauce

ST602390@brownvm.brown.edu (Jodi Longobardo) (05/08/91)

Jeff Sorenson writes:

>I have been unable to find a recipe forthe Chinese garlic chicken dish
>that I've enjoyed in so many restaurants...

I believe that what you may be looking for is a recipe for Chicken with
Garlic Sauce.  Perhaps you have a problem finding a recipe because this
dish is often refered to by its Chinese name "Yu shan gai/Yu xiang
gai".  Here is the recipe we used at the restaurant i worked at.

*2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
*tablespoon wine
*1 teaspoon cornstarch
*1 teaspoon baking soda
*1 teaspoon vinegar
*a little chopped fresh ginger

Cut chicken breast into medalions about 1.5 inch "square" and fairly
thin.  Place in a bowl and add remaining ingredients.  Stir, cover, and
marinate for an hour or so minimum.

*1/2 cup veg. oil
*a few pieces of chopped scallions

heat oil in wok until a drop of water sizzles.  Add chicken down sides
of pan and cook until it loses its pinkness.  Remove, drain, reserve.
remove all oil except 2 teaspoons.

*3 cloves of garlic, minced
*1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
*1 can sliced water chestnuts
*1/2 cup mu er (black fungus/chinese black mushroom/wood ears)
*1 red pepper, diced large
*1 cup broccoli florets (optional)

add garlic and ginger to oil in wok and heat.  when drop of water
sizzles, add broccoli, water chestnuts, mu er, and red pepper. Stir to
coat with oil and add

*1/2 cup sherry or light cooking wine (unsalted pref.)

cover and let steam 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are at the peak
color.  return chicken to wok and stir.

*1/4 cup soy sauce
*1/8 cup sugar
*1/4 cup sherry
*2 teaspoons vinegar
*few drops hot oil
*cornstarch paste
*few drops sesame oil
*handful of chopped scallions

Make a well in food, add first four ingredients.  Let heat, then add
hot oil, and slowly the cornstarch paste.  Stir food to coat, cook
until sauce has thickened.  Finish with sesame oil and scallions.

Hope this is helpful!
          --jodi