[rec.food.recipes] VEGAN: Sauces for Vegetables

bgarrett@UCSD.EDU (Brett Garrett) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May01.170256.8937@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>,
6600arn@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (D.P. Gumby) writes:

> I'd like to get some recipes for sauces to accompany vegetables.
> Cheese sauce, lemon sauce, etc.  Any ideas and suggestions would be
> appreciated.

SAVORY SAUCE from the Spot Restaurant, Hermosa Beach, CA

3/4 cup almond oil (or safflower oil)
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup liquid aminos (I use soy sauce)
1/8 cup brewer's yeast
1/4 tsp kelp
1/4 tsp Spike seasoning		[herb/vegetable salt substitute]
1/4 tsp basil
1/8 tsp granulated garlic
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp tamari
1 pound firm tofu, rinsed well

Blend everything in the food processor or blender.  Heat & serve.  This
stuff is dee-licious on steamed veggies, and freezes okay.

PEANUT SAUCE

This is one of my personal favorites.  I never measure anything for
this, but it always seems to come out okay, if different every time.
Therefore, the amounts given are only approximate, and the last few
ingredients are optional.  Mix in order given:

1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter (or maybe a little less)
2 Tbsp sesame oil
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp lemon juice or rice vinegar (juice is best)
3 Tbsp honey
Curry powder and/or coriander
Green onions
Ginger (fresh)
Cilantro leaves
Garlic

I like to serve this over stir-fried or steamed vegies with tofu which
has been cooked with rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger... if
the veggies are very hot the sauce doesn't need to be heated.  I find
it loses some of its flavor if it is mixed into the veggies before
serving.

CHEESE SAUCE (Without the Cheese!)

This stuff really resembles nacho cheese sauce, at least to my
vegetarian taste buds that haven't tasted the real thing for years.
It's good with chips, veggies, or on pizza instead of cheese.  I think
the recipe originally came from one of the McDougall books.

1/4 cup raw cashews (or cooked potato)
2 cups water
4 ounce jar pimientos
1 tsp salt (optional)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup brewer's yeast flakes
3 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp lemon juice

Place the cashews in a blender and add just enough water to cover.
Blend at low speed until smooth.  Add the remaining ingredients and
blend again until smooth.  Pour into a heavy saucepan and cook at
medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 7-8 minutes, until it thickens
to the consistency of nacho cheese.  Serve hot.

GINGER SAUCE from Gary Lee's Chinese Vegetarian Cookbook

For some reason, I always find that this sauce makes
my veggies taste incredibly fresh... even if they're not.

Clove of garlic, mashed
3 slices ginger root--size of a quarter (I always chop it instead)
Stalk of celery--peel off tough outer layer and use the leaves
1/2 bell pepper
1/2 firm tomato
1 small onion
2 Tbsp catsup
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 cup water or broth
1 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 3 Tbsp water

Put 3 Tbsp oil in a wok.  When hot, add garlic & ginger and cook for 5
seconds to bring out their flavors.  Add the rest of the ingredients
(except cornstarch) and cood for 5 minutes at the boiling state.
Thicken with cornstarch and serve.

TERIYAKI SAUCE from the SPOT restaurant, Hermosa Beach, California

Boil	1/2 cup honey
	1/4 cup water
	1/2 cup tamari
	1/4 cup wine vinegar
	1 Tbsp chopped onion

Add	2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with
	1/4 cup water

Simmer 10 minutes.  Serve over veggies & optional "teriyaki tofu,"
prepared by baking the following for 45 minutes at 350 degrees:

1 pound firm tofu, cut into cubes
1 Tbsp tamari
1 1/2 tsp honey
1/8 tsp garlic