[rec.food.recipes] VEGAN: Baba Ghanouj

mctst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Mary Tabasko) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May13.143520.5493@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
cmr@cvedc.Prime.COM (Chesley Reyburn) writes:

>I am looking for recipes for tabouli and babaganoush (sp?).
>[Tabouli recipes have appeared in digests 33, 34 and 36. -aem]

   ------------
   Baba Ghanouj
   ------------

   1 eggplant (about 1.25 lbs.)
   1/4 cup of olive oil
   1   clove of garlic, crushed
   1/2 cup of lemon juice
   1/4 cup of tahini
   2   T of minced parsley

 1. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and make several incisions in
    the flesh. Sprinkle the exposed meat with salt and let it drain for
    30 minutes.
 2. Coat a baking pan with the olive oil and place the eggplant
    face-down in the pan. Bake it in an oven preheated to 400F for
    about 20 or 30 minutes, until tender.
 3. Remove the eggplant and let it cool. Then scoop out the pulp and
    place it in a food-processor or blender. Discard the skin.
 4. Place the garlic in the blender with the eggplant and puree. Add
    alternately the lemon juice and the tahini. Finally, blend in the
    parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
 5. Chill before serving. Sprinkle with paprika to add a bit of color,
    if you like. Serve with raw vegetables and toasted pita
    triangles.

I got this recipe from my friend Monica Krueger. Thanks, Monica!

 -- Mary