[rec.food.recipes] CRAB: Crab Rangoon

eal0383@cec1.wustl.edu (Beth Lamon) (10/20/90)

I haven't had time to try this recipe...  Hope you enjoy!

CRAB RANGOON

1 or 2 packages (8 ounces) Neufchatel cheese, softened (or cream cheese)
     {amount based on how "cheesy" you want them}
1 can (6 ounces) crab meat, drained and flaked
2 green onions including tops, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon lite soy sauce
1 package (48 count) won ton skins
vegetable spray coating

In medium bowl, combine all ingredients except won ton skins and spray
coating; mix until well blended. (To prevent won ton skins from drying
out, prepare one or two rangoon at a time.) Place 1 teaspoon filling in
center of each won ton skin. Moisten edges with water; fold in half to
form triangle, pressing edges to seal. Pull bottom corners down and
overlap slightly; moisten one corner and press to seal. Lightly spray
baking sheet with vegetable coating. Arrange rangoon on sheet and lightly
spray to coat. Bake in 425 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until
golden brown. Serve hot with sweet-sour sauce or mustard sauce.

Makes 48 appetizers.

NOTE: Rangoon can also be fried in oil - the person from whom I got the
recipes said they taste better fried.

danr@ada1.SSD.CSD.HARRIS.COM (Dan Rittersdorf) (05/18/91)

   I would like to repost the reply I got last time I asked for a Crab
   Rangoon recipe.  I also add comments from the owner of a local Thai
   restaurant.  The two version are *very* different.

> From: eal0383@cec1.wustl.edu (Beth Lamon)
> Date: 20 Oct 90 05:52:51 GMT

> I haven't had time to try this recipe...  Hope you enjoy!

> CRAB RANGOON

> 1 or 2 packages (8 ounces) Neufchatel cheese, softened (or cream cheese)
>      {amount based on how "cheesy" you want them}
> 1 can (6 ounces) crab meat, drained and flaked
> 2 green onions including tops, thinly sliced
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
> 1/2 teaspoon lite soy sauce
> 1 package (48 count) won ton skins
> vegetable spray coating
>
> In medium bowl, combine all ingredients except won ton skins and spray
> coating; mix until well blended. (To prevent won ton skins from drying
> out, prepare one or two rangoon at a time.) Place 1 teaspoon filling in
> center of each won ton skin. Moisten edges with water; fold in half to
> form triangle, pressing edges to seal. Pull bottom corners down and
> overlap slightly; moisten one corner and press to seal. Lightly spray
> baking sheet with vegetable coating. Arrange rangoon on sheet and lightly
> spray to coat. Bake in 425 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until
> golden brown. Serve hot with sweet-sour sauce or mustard sauce.
>
> Makes 48 appetizers.
>
> NOTE: Rangoon can also be fried in oil - the person from whom I got the
> recipes said they taste better fried.

   I never made this either, because it didn't have the Curry flavor I
   was looking for at the time.  I eventually asked the owner of the
   restaurant what was in there, and he obliged!!!

   The Crab Rangoon I am accustomed to is a yellow, cheesy filling with
   shredded crab meat wrapped in a won-ton wrapper and deep fried.

   He gave me a description, but no recipe:

      Melt Creme Cheese and Danish Havarti (He said: "Some imported
      Danish Cheese") over low heat till creamy.  Add some curry powder
      (I suspect they used paste at the Thai restaurant) until the
      cheese has a definite curry flavor.  Add the crabmeat and let
      cool slightly.

      Take a won-ton wrapper in your palm, forming a bowl.  Put a glob
      of cheese mixture on the wrapper (not too much, but don't skimp)
      and gather the corners to make a little bag.  I call this the
      "Crab Bomb".  Now (very important!) refridgerate the bombs until
      the chese is solid.

      Heat your oil to the usual temperature for frying won-tons (I
      can't remember what is normally used -- he mentioned *low heat*,
      but if that's compared to the 700 degrees Farenheit they usually
      use...) Fry the bombs until golden and serve with a fruity sweet
      and sour sauce.

   Sorry I don't have more exact directions.  When I make them next,
   I'll pay attention to what I'm doing and let y'all know.  :-)

 -danr
  Dan Rittersdorf                           danr@travis.ssd.csd.harris.com