[rec.food.recipes] VEGAN: Lemon Poppy Seed Cake

bgarrett@UCSD.EDU (Brett Garrett) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.161055.10774@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>,
pam@augeas.cs.athabascau.ca (Pam Haukenfrers) writes:

> Believe it or not...I have about 10 cookbooks and not one has a recipe
> for poppy seed cake.  Can anyone help?

This recipe was printed about a year ago in the newsletter of the Ocean
Beach (San Diego) People's Food Co-op.  I made it last week, and
enjoyed it... since I don't eat dairy products, I frosted it with a
mixture of 1/2 pound tofu blended in a blender with 1/4 cup margarine
and maple syrup, vanilla and lemon juice to taste.  By the way, I think
it would be better with slightly fewer poppyseeds...

LEMON POPPYSEED CAKE

3/4 cup poppy seeds
1/3  cup lemon juice
grated peels of 3 lemons
3/4 cup apple juice
3/4 cup (canola) oil
3/4 cup (pure) maple syrup
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I'm sure white flour is fine)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp sea salt (or regular salt)

Mix dry ingredients.  Mix wet ingredients.  Fold gently together.  Pour
into greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan.  Bake in preheated 350
degree (F) oven for 1/2 hour or until toothpick comes clean.

This is a light, not too sweet lemon cake with a lovely snappy crunch
from the poppyseeds.  Makes a nice tea cake as is, or frost with cream
cheese/honey icing for a richer experience.

Brett Garrett        bgarrett@ucsd.edu