[rec.food.recipes] OVO-LACTO: Poppy Seed Cake

bj@sumax.seattleu.edu (Brett Jones) (06/12/91)

pam@augeas.cs.athabascau.ca (Pam Haukenfrers) writes:

> Believe it or not...I have about 10 cookbooks and not one has a recipe
> for poppy seed cake.  Can anyone help?

 From Better Homes and Gardens "All-Time Favorite Cake & Cookie
 Recipes"; Copyright 1980 by Meredith Corporation, Des Moines, IA.
 ISBN 0-696-00620-0
 Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 79-93397; page 17:

Poppy Seed Cake
12 Servings

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3   cup poppy seeds
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2   teaspoon salt
3/4   cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups honey
1     teaspoon vanilla
4     eggs
1     small banana, mashed (1/3 cup)
1/2   cup buttermilk or sour milk
1/2   cup raisins

Grease and lightly flour a 10 inch fluted tube pan.  Combine all
purpose flour, whole wheat flour, poppy seed, baking soda and salt.
Beat butter about 30 seconds.  Add honey and vanilla; beat till
fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each.  Stir
together banana and buttermilk.  Add dry ingredients and buttermilk
mixture alternately to beaten mixture, beating after each addition.
Stir in raisins.  Turn into prepared pan.

  Bake in 350 deg. oven for 50 to 55 minutes or till done.  Cool 15
minutes on wire rack.  Remove from pan; cool thoroughly on rack.
Drizzle with powdered sugar icing if desired.

*** NOTE ***
  When I make poppy seed cake, I generally add some fruit flavoring to
the batter .... orange is a favorite.  You can also ice with a thick
fruit jam (raspberry .... num!) if you want.  Jeez ... now I want to
bake one again!

Brett Jones - halcyon!ds!bj@seattleu.edu

ST402676@brownvm.brown.edu (tamar more) (06/13/91)

 Poppyseed cake (from the Moosewood)}

3/4 Cup poppyseeds
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
juice and peel from half a lemon

Preheat over to 350 F

Heat the poppyseeds and milk to boiling point. Remove from heat and let
stand for 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the batter. Cream
butter and sugar till fluffy. Separate the eggs and beat in the yolks.
Add flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon. Mix well. Mix in the
poppyseeds and milk. Beat the whites till stiff and fold in. bake in a
greased 9X13 pan at 350 F for 35 to 45 minutes or till a toothpick
comes out clean.

this cake freezes quite well and can be thawed out by just leaving out
at room temperature.

sommer@venus.ycc.yale.edu (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.161055.10774@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>,
pam@augeas.cs.athabascau.ca (Pam Haukenfrers) writes:

> Believe it or not...I have about 10 cookbooks and not one has a recipe
> for poppy seed cake.  Can anyone help?

 From the best cookbook in the area, "Quick and Easy Cakes" by Ruth
 Jolle (Keter Publishers, Israel, you need to know Hebrew to read it):

 Poppy Seed Cake
 ---------------
Ingredients:
3 eggs
7 Oz margerine, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 1/2 Oz poppy seeds
1/2 cup milk
1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
2 table spoons brandy (optional)
1 apple, grated (or equivalent in chunky apple sauce)
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350 f. (180 c.)
2. Mix all ingredients except for apple in food processor. Add apple,
stirring with a spoon.
3. Grease springform pan, pour mixture in pan and bake one hour.

Anyone with an easier cake?

Hillel Sommer