[rec.food.recipes] MISC: Chilled Cucumber Dill Soup

epstein@sunc2.cs.uiuc.edu (Milt Epstein) (06/22/91)

In <1991Jun21.175331.4955@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
newton@convex.com (Vicki Newton) writes:

>if anyone has a really good recipe for chilled cucumber dill soup, i'd
>be interested.  the cukes in my garden have started to take over and i
>need some help!

OK, I've got mine now.  It's from "The LA Times California Cookbook",
edited by Betsy Balsley and published by The New American Library.
It's a wonderful cookbook.

3 medium cucumbers             1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter                  1 cup half and half
1 leek, chopped                juice of 1/2 lemon
2 bay leaves                   chopped dill
1 Tbsp flour                   sour cream
3 cups chicken broth
(I suppose you can use a non-meant broth if you want it to be
vegetarian)

Peel and thinly slice 2 (only two) cucumbers.

Melt butter.  Add sliced cucumbers, leek and bay leaves, and cook
slowly until tender but not brown.  Discard bay leaves.

Add flour and mix well.

Add chicken broth and salt and bring to boil, then reduce heat and
simmer 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Puree through a sieve or in blender container and chill soup in
refrigerator several hours.

Peel, halve and remove seeds from the third cucumber, then grate.
Add to soup with half and half, lemon juice and chopped dill to taste.

Serve in cold soup cups and top each serving with a dollop of sour
cream.

Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy!

Milt Epstein epstein@cs.uiuc.edu