[rec.food.recipes] OVO-LACTO: Spanakopitta

campbell@acsu.buffalo.edu (roger campbell) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun24.141300.981@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
cole@unix.sri.com (Susan Cole) writes:

>Does anyone have a recipe, preferably not too complicated, for
>spanikopita (sp?)  You know, the Greek dish that's got a flaky pastry
>crust with spinach in the middle.

 Susan,
    Here are a couple, each slightly different.  I like them both. One
is a bit richer, with more spinach and evaporated milk, the other with
more cheese.  Your preference...

SPANAKOPITTA  [The Complete Greek Cookbook, Theresa Karas Yianilos]

1 lb. filo (about 12-15 sheets)
     FILLING

2 pkgs (10 oz. each) frozen spinach, or 1 lb. fresh
1 lb. cheese: Feta, or cottage  (I really prefer the feta)
6 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 lb. butter

     If using frozen filo, defrost 2 hours ahead of time.

     Filling:  Thaw out frozen spinach.  If using fresh spinach, steam
for 5 minutes until wilted.  Crumble cheese, using fork to break Feta
cheese up.  If using cottage cheese, add 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix in eggs.
Set aside.

     Heat oil and butter in a small saucepan.  Unwrap file and smooth
creases out.  Plan to use half of the filo sheets for the bottom layer,
and the other half for the top. (Keep covered while using, file dries
out quickly). Using a square 9x9 or a rectangular 11x14 pan, oil the
pan generously, bottom and sides, using a pastry brush.

    Lay the first sheet of file in the pan, letting excess lap over the
edges. Sprinkle with warm oil-butter mixture. Lay a second layer and
sprinkle with a little more oil. Continue until half of the filo is
used.  Spread all of the spinach mixture evenly over the filo,
including the corners.  Cover with remaining filo, one sheet at a time,
oiling between sheets.  Do not discard any of the filo, include it
all.  Roll and tuck the filo around the inside edges of the pan. Brush
top and edges with remaining oil.

    Bake at 350 degrees F. for 50 minutes.  Serve hot, cut into squares
like a cake.  Reheat when necessary; never serve cold.

SPANAKOPITTA ME AVGA  [The Greek Cookbook,  Sophia Skoura]

3 lb. fresh spinach              1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 medium onion, chopped          4 - 5 eggs
1/2 cup chopped scallions        3/4 lb. filo pastry
1 cup butter                     melted butter as needed
1/2 cup chopped dill             1/2 lb. feta cheese, coarsely crumbled
1/2 cup chopped parsley          salt and pepper to taste

    Wash the spinach in plenty of water, and chop into small pieces.
Place in a bowl and salt it lightly; stir to distribute the salt
evenly.  Then take the spinach, a handful at a time, squeeze out the
excess water, and place it in another bowl.  Saute' the onion in half
the butter until it is a light golden color. Add the scallions and cook
until they wilt.  Add the spinach, stir until all the vegetables take
on a light color.  Stir in the dill, parsley, and salt and pepper to
taste. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat until all the water
thrown off by the spinach is absorbed.  Remove from the heat, turn into
a bowl, and immediately add the milk (to cool the spinach). Beat the
eggs in another bowl, and add the cheese to the eggs.  Add this mixture
to the cooled spinach, mix well.

    Line a pan with 8 sheets of filo, brushing each sheet with the
melted butter before topping it with the next sheet.  Do not trim the
overhanging filo. Pour in the spinach mixture, spreading it evenly over
the filo. Fold the overhanging filo back over the filling.  Lay the
remaining filo on top, again brushing each sheet with melted butter
before adding the next.  Tuck the overlap of filo on the inside of the
pan.  Brush additional melted butter on the top, and score it into
square or diamond-shaped serving pieces.

    Bake for 30 to 45 minutes in a preheated 300 degree F. oven, and
let it stand for 30 minutes before serving.

    Roger Campbell

    campbell@acsu.buffalo.edu