[soc.culture.japan] Shogi

ssj@castle.ed.ac.uk (S Johal) (08/15/89)

A number of us here are anxious to promote interest in Shogi, i.e.
Japanese Chess.  Is anyone out there interested in playing e-mail
Shogi?  Does anyone have a Shogi playing program?

Colin Carruthers, Subindrao Johal,
SARI,
University of Edinburgh,
King's Buildings,
EDINBURGH  EH9 3JL.
Scotland.

Tel:   +44 31 668 1550.
Fax:   +44 31 662 4678.
Email: cc@uk.ac.ed.ee

lowerre@Apple.COM (Bruce Lowerre) (08/17/89)

In article <131@castle.ed.ac.uk>, ssj@castle.ed.ac.uk (S Johal) writes:
> A number of us here are anxious to promote interest in Shogi, i.e.
> Japanese Chess.  Is anyone out there interested in playing e-mail
> Shogi?  Does anyone have a Shogi playing program?

Does anyone know how to play it?  Is it a REAL game or just another
Fairy Chess game?

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (08/18/89)

In article <34077@apple.Apple.COM>, lowerre@Apple.COM (Bruce Lowerre) writes:
> In article <131@castle.ed.ac.uk>, ssj@castle.ed.ac.uk (S Johal) writes:
> > A number of us here are anxious to promote interest in Shogi, i.e.
> > Japanese Chess.  Is anyone out there interested in playing e-mail
> > Shogi?  Does anyone have a Shogi playing program?
>
> Does anyone know how to play it?  Is it a REAL game or just another
> Fairy Chess game?

Shogi is widely played in Japan but not much in the west. I don't care
for it myself but I sometimes think I'll take another look just as soon
as I have mastered go (a REAL game, not a toy like chess :-).

Books on shogi and equipment for it are available from

          Ishi Press International
          1400 N. Shoreline Blvd.
          Building A-7
          Mountain View, CA 94043
          (415) 964-7294

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>

lb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Louis Blair) (08/18/89)

Bruce Lowerre writes:
>Is [Shogi] a REAL game or just another
>Fairy Chess game?

Shogi sets can be purchased from Ishi Pres
International, 1400 N. Shoreline Blvd., Bldg. A7,
Mountain View, CA 94043.  According to the
rules that came with my set:  "Shogi, the
Japanese cousin of chess, is descended from
the Indian game Chatur-anga.  From India the
game spread to Persia and then to China and
Korea.  The Chinese and Koreans created many
variations of the original game, and some of these
came to Japan in the 8th century.  Early Japanese
Shogi scarcely resembled the modern game; some
versions had different types of pieces and boards
ranging in size from 9 x 9 to 25 x 25 grids, with
as many as 97 pieces to a side.  The modern 9 x 9
board was formalized in the 16th century by the
emperor Go-Nora.  Shogi became very popular
with some of the greatest generals of the 16th
and 17th centuries.  During this time the first Shogi
championship tournaments were held.  The second
champion, Ohashi, set the modern rules for Shogi.
Shogi has a ranking system similar to that used in
GO.  The lowest Shogi rank is 15 KYU and counts
backwards to 1 KYU.  After 1 KYU the next rank
is 1 dan, the dan ranks increase up to 9 dan.  In
Japan only professional players have reached the
highest dan levels.  Shogi enjoys great popularity
in Japan and has spread to over 30 countries
worldwide."

Ishi now also sells subsciptions to a Shogi magazine.