[comp.terminals.tty5620] Windows for a 5620?

chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) (06/05/89)

Hello net-folk.

    I am soon to inherit a AT&T 5620 terminal to use on my desk.  I have no
idea of the full extent of the capabilities but someone has suggested that
it has X_Window potential.  Does anyone have any information on how to do
this, what info I need, hints, pointers, etc etc etc...

Please e-mail as I do not (yet?) read these groups.

Thanks folks.
--
Daniel Chaney
        	  Mail guy, archiver or Accidental Student..you decide.

gld@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gary L Dare) (06/05/89)

In article <11836@s.ms.uky.edu> Daniel Chaney wrote:

>    I am soon to inherit a AT&T 5620 terminal to use on my desk.  I
>have no idea of the full extent of the capabilities but someone has
>suggested that it has X_Window potential.  Does anyone have any
>information on how to do this, what info I need, hints, pointers, etc.

  Please cc: your replies to me, too!  I'm quite interested in making
more use of our 5620's since we no longer have 3B2s from which to
download the system code.

gld
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Gary L. Dare				> gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU
	"SLAINTE MHAITH!"		> gld@cunixc.BITNET

Fiacha of Glencar@hjuxa.UUCP (Fiacha of Glencar) (06/06/89)

From article <11836@s.ms.uky.edu>, by chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney):

>     I am soon to inherit a AT&T 5620 terminal to use on my desk.  I have no
> idea of the full extent of the capabilities but someone has suggested that
> it has X_Window potential.  Does anyone have any information on how to do
> this, what info I need, hints, pointers, etc etc etc...

If this has been done, I too would like to know about it.

hate
inews
and
its
linecounts
--
Nigel R Haslock		     | If you have to be warped to weave, __-------___
Manalapan NJ 07726	     | what do you have to be to forge?   |___ __ ___/

hundt@paul.rutgers.edu (Thomas M. Hundt) (06/06/89)

gld wrote:
|  Please cc: your replies to me, too!  I'm quite interested in making
|more use of our 5620's since we no longer have 3B2s from which to
|download the system code.

You could, of course, use a wimpy PC to d/l the code...

In article <11836@s.ms.uky.edu> Daniel Chaney wrote:

>    I am soon to inherit a AT&T 5620 terminal to use on my desk.  I
>have no idea of the full extent of the capabilities but someone has
>suggested that it has X_Window potential.  Does anyone have any
>information on how to do this, what info I need, hints, pointers, etc.

The 5620 is usually used to run 'layers', a unix-based system that opens
multiple windows on the 5620 screen.  Note, this is a two part deal.
The host must also be running a sort of 'multiplexing' software, to sort
out the data to/from the 5620 into each of the pseudotty windows.  I've
seen layers running only on System V machines (eg. a Vax 750 at
Bellcore).

I'd think X-windows would be a pain in the neck to get running; the 5620
doesn't have all that much horsepower!  (Anybody out there hacking
WE32000 assembly code? :-)

My 5620 is currently under my desk next to the PC I use; the tiny
(default terminal mode) characters drove me nuts.

-Tom Hundt