[unix-pc.sources] ))))) WANTED : visual spell checker

ssa@mrsvr.UUCP (6607) (10/06/88)

	Does any one have the source (or SUN executable) for a visual spell
checker, similar to the "vspell" program that is available on the STORE for
the unixpc?  basically what I am interested in is a spell checker that
highlights the misspelled word and lets you change the word on the spot.

	Thanks in advance....

      /         /| |   |\ \   | |
     /__       /_| |   |_\ \  | |     ...att!uwmcsd1!mrsvr!ssa
       /      /  | |   |  \ \ | |        (414) 547-9429
      / o    /   | |__ |   \ \| |        (414) 521-6607 (work)

andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) (10/07/88)

In article <449@mrsvr.UUCP> ssa@mrsvr.UUCP (6607) writes:

>	Does any one have the source (or SUN executable) for a visual spell
>checker, similar to the "vspell" program that is available on the STORE for
>the unixpc?

Vspell from The Store can probably be ported to the Sun with no trouble.
It is a shell script and should execute without trouble.  It does call a
small C program (inspell.c) but the source is included in the package from
The Store.  It seems to me that all you need to do is get the vspell script,
compile inspell.c and it should run.

--
Andy Pitts andy@rbdc.UUCP  : "The giant Gorf was hit in  one eye  by a stone,
bakerst!rbdc!andy          : and that eye  turned  inward  so  that it looked

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (10/12/88)

From article <583@rbdc.UUCP>, by andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts):
:>
:
: Vspell from The Store can probably be ported to the Sun with no trouble.
: It is a shell script and should execute without trouble.  It does call a
: small C program (inspell.c) but the source is included in

Has anyone noticed vspell missing words that spell catches (happens on my
3b1 unixpc).  I haven't looked into it yet, but it effectively ruled out using
vspell to help my son (who is spelling dyslexic).  I'm trying to find something
on-screen that is useful for a unix novice.  (spell alone is hard to use and
has some hashing duplications if I remember rightly.)
--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc

	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) (10/14/88)

>: In article <449@mrsvr.UUCP> ssa@mrsvr.UUCP (6607) writes:
>Has anyone noticed vspell missing words that spell catches (happens on my
>3b1 unixpc).  I haven't looked into it yet, but it effectively ruled out using
>vspell to help my son (who is spelling dyslexic).

There is a minor bug in inspell.c that causes vspell to ignore the first line
in a file.  You can work around this by always leaving the first line blank,
or you can install the patch I am inclosing to inspell.c and re compiling.

----------cut--------------cut--------------cut-----------------------------

*** inspell.c.old	Thu Oct 13 14:45:27 1988
--- inspell.c	Thu Oct 13 14:45:34 1988
***************
*** 61,67
  char **argv;