[unix-pc.sources] Mines game for 3b1

mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) (10/03/89)

Seems to work fine for me, except that I can't tell where the mouse is
pointing. The arror shows up in the margins, but dissapears when it gets
onto the playing field. When I start it up, what appears to be part of
a terminal escape sequence appears in the upper left corner, but it is
then overwritten by the playing field.

--
Mark H. Weber ( mhw@Lock60.LS.Com  or  mhw%lock60@GVL.Unisys.COM  or
           uunet!lgnp1!lock60!mhw  or  gatech!psuvax1!burdvax!gvlv2!lock60!mhw )

robert@cbnews.ATT.COM (robert.a.littlefield) (10/14/89)

In article <341@lock60.UUCP> mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) writes:

>Seems to work fine for me, except that I can't tell where the mouse is
>pointing. The arror shows up in the margins, but dissapears when it gets
>onto the playing field. When I start it up, what appears to be part of
>a terminal escape sequence appears in the upper left corner, but it is
>then overwritten by the playing field.
>Mark H. Weber

I was having the same problem myself. Try running the program directly from
Unix, ( i.e, no window border) and it should work fine. I also get the
escape chars. as well, but after you move out of the top corner, you
don't notice it anyway.

Bob Littlefield
Sig? What sig?

tjl@cbnews.ATT.COM (Timothy J. Lipetz) (10/17/89)

>>Seems to work fine for me, except that I can't tell where the mouse is
>>pointing. The arror shows up in the margins, but dissapears when it gets
>>onto the playing field. When I start it up, what appears to be part of
>>a terminal escape sequence appears in the upper left corner, but it is
>>then overwritten by the playing field.
>
>I was having the same problem myself. Try running the program directly from
>Unix, ( i.e, no window border) and it should work fine. I also get the
>escape chars. as well, but after you move out of the top corner, you
>don't notice it anyway.

As the author of the program.  I would be interested if any unix-pc
graphics guru can tell me what is wrong in the program.  (The ONLY
way I can get the arrow to vanish is if I run mines with the ! from
my office.  Every other way I have tried works fine.  (On 3.51) ).

Since I have several other graphics programs waiting in the wings,
and the graphics in them was mostly yanked from mines, I
would like to correct the problem before I post them.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Timothy J. Lipetz
...!att!cbzoo!tjl

jarrett@gremlin.ucsd.edu (Brooke Jarrett) (10/18/89)

In article <10291@cbnews.ATT.COM> tjl@cbnews.ATT.COM (Timothy J. Lipetz,59365,cb,3d235,6148605439) writes:
>>>Seems to work fine for me, except that I can't tell where the mouse is
>>>pointing. The arror shows up in the margins, but dissapears when it gets
>>>onto the playing field. When I start it up, what appears to be part of
>>>a terminal escape sequence appears in the upper left corner, but it is

I have compiled Mines just as it came to me, and have run it both from
the shell prompt, and from the windowing system toybox (for my kids),
I have seen none of these problems in my version.
	I am running a 3B1 with 2Meg RAM, 67 Meg HD, and version 3.51 of
the OS.  Is it just dumb luck?  What's going on.
				Brooke Jarrett
				bjarrett@ucsd.edu		(work)
				ucsd!sdsu!berick!delbr!brooke	(home)

dts@quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) (10/19/89)

:
:I have compiled Mines just as it came to me, and have run it both from
:the shell prompt, and from the windowing system toybox (for my kids),
:I have seen none of these problems in my version.
:	I am running a 3B1 with 2Meg RAM, 67 Meg HD, and version 3.51 of
:the OS.  Is it just dumb luck?  What's going on.

A note - the terminal escape sequence which is appearing on some
people's screens is intended to clear the screen and turn the cursor
off.  But when it got to my site (and apparently to others), it was
goofed up.  It looked like the escape character had been embedded
directly in the source, as opposed to specified as an octal constant.
Big mistake... I suppose the escape character got stripped out at
some site along the line.

The original line in the source is:

	wputs(wn,"[2J[=1C");

and should be changed to

        wputs(wn,"\033[2J\033[=1C");

However, I had no problems with the mouse arrow even before I made
this fix.  The correct escape sequence just cleans up the display
a little better.

--
                                  David Sandberg - Quadric Systems
 "I began neglecting my shoes."   PSEUDO: dts@quad.uucp

jet@flatline.UUCP (j. eric townsend) (10/20/89)

In article <322@quad.uucp> dts@quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) writes:
>However, I had no problems with the mouse arrow even before I made
>this fix.  The correct escape sequence just cleans up the display
>a little better.

I'm running 3.5/3.51kit.  Maybe the fact that I don't have 3.51 is
doing it?

--
      *****  Note the new login id --> jet@flatline.UUCP *****
Skate UNIX(tm).