[aus.general] Bad TK52 CompacTape II cartridge tapes

tyers@trlluna.trl.oz (P Tyers) (04/06/89)

In article <179@hhb.UUCP>, leonh@hhb.UUCP (leon howorth) writes:
  Regarding bad batches of DEC TK52 tapes which can damage your drives and
  contaminate other tapes used in the drive.

> The Lot number is either stamped in the center
> of the back of the cartridge or it is the leftmost of two
> numbers stamped on the top rear of the cartridge. The defective tapes are
> those within the following ranges ( letter "x" denotes wildcard
> character):
>
> LOT #		TAPE #
> -----		-------
> 9x74x		xx5x
> 9x74x		xx0x
> 9x80x		xx09x or xx09xx
> 9x80x		xx10x or xx10xx
> 9x8xx		xx57x or xx57xx
> 9x8xx		xx58x or xx58xx

The DEC publication "DEC STUFF" JANUARY 1989 pp18 has an article by Stephen
Piazza Jnr about these tapes and indicates that DEC will replace free of
charge. The article also describes the coding scheme which leads to the
numbers. You may have some problems in getting access to the mag since it is
an internal DEC publication for field service staff, it seems. Our DECdirect
sales center had heard of neither the bad batch nor DEC STUFF!

Be warned out of recent orders for 40 tapes over the last six months we at
Telecom Research have found 24 tapes from these batches. Hence it may be
expected that many Australian sites are in a similiar situation.  The major
batch seems to be 57 ie the xx57x xx57xx out of the list.

--
P Tyers,	           JANET tyers%trlluna.oz@uk.ac.ucl.cs
ACSnet 	tyers@trlluna.oz   UUCP {uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trlluna.oz!tyers