[bionet.general] Accessing BIONET via the ARPANET

daemon@ig.UUCP (11/06/87)

From: roy%phri@uunet.UU.NET (Roy Smith)

In article <3911@ig.ig.com> you write:
> Let me emphasize once again that to use these two protocols one must
> have access to a workstation, mini, or mainframe computer locally.  To
> the best of my knowledge, PC's, Mac's, etc., do not possess this kind
> of networking capability (yet).

	Not 100% true.  Using an AppleTalk/Ethernet bridge box made by
Kinetics (FastPath, aka KFPS-n, n=[123]) and Telnet from NCSA (National
Center for Supercomputing Activities, or something like that; they are at
U. Ill. Urbana-Champaign), you can run telnet from a Mac, and ftp as well
(although, for some reason I havn't yet figured out, you can't initiate an
ftp connection from the Mac; you have to telnet to the host you want and
then run ftp back to the Mac).  We use it all the time and love it.  The
telnet part provides a pretty decent vt-100 and Tek-401X emulation.

	Of course, just running telnet on the Mac on your desk isn't going
to help you much unless you're linked into a larger network with IP
connections to the outside world.  To the best of my knowledge, you can't
(yet) buy an IMP interface card for a slotted Mac. :-)

whom I should send submissions)?  At any rate, please forward the part
above this note to the BBoard/newsgroup.]
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

daemon@ig.UUCP (11/06/87)

From: David Kristofferson <KRISTOFFERSON@BIONET-20.ARPA>

In article <3911@ig.ig.com> you write:
> Let me emphasize once again that to use these two protocols one must
> have access to a workstation, mini, or mainframe computer locally.  To
> the best of my knowledge, PC's, Mac's, etc., do not possess this kind
> of networking capability (yet).

	Not 100% true.  Using an AppleTalk/Ethernet bridge box made by
Kinetics (FastPath, aka KFPS-n, n=[123]) and Telnet from NCSA (National
Center for Supercomputing Activities, or something like that; they are at
U. Ill. Urbana-Champaign), you can run telnet from a Mac, and ftp as well
(although, for some reason I havn't yet figured out, you can't initiate an
ftp connection from the Mac; you have to telnet to the host you want and
then run ftp back to the Mac).  We use it all the time and love it.  The
telnet part provides a pretty decent vt-100 and Tek-401X emulation.

	Of course, just running telnet on the Mac on your desk isn't going
to help you much unless you're linked into a larger network with IP
connections to the outside world.  To the best of my knowledge, you can't
(yet) buy an IMP interface card for a slotted Mac. :-)

whom I should send submissions)?  At any rate, please forward the part
above this note to the BBoard/newsgroup.]
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

Roy,

	I've passed along the whole of your message since the USENET
question is also of general interest.

	Thanks for the information about the Mac.  I had in mind Sun
workstations which have come down in price to the original IBM PC-AT
range and offer all these features plus 1152x900 resolution graphics,
multi-tasking (i.e., the ability to run several database searches
simultaneously on your desktop!), 141 megabytes of disk storage, etc.
Biologists are just beginning to learn about the workstation
environment and I think that people will discover soon that there is a
lot more to offer than the Mac can currently handle.  The Mac II is
getting into the workstation range and will eventually have these
features too, but workstations have them now,they are tested and are
known to work, and I'm >95% sure that they are standard features, not
add-ons from a variety of suppliers.

	Rob Liebschutz is our systems programmer here who set up the
USENET newsgroups.  My understanding (and I'm about 98% certain on
this) is that messages are "bi-directionally gatewayed" so that
posting to the appropriate USENET news group will also result in
distribution to ARPANET and BITNET readers.  However, I will cc Rob on
this so that he can correct me if I am in error.

Thanks again for your input.  We have been devoting a lot of time and
effort over the last 10 months to get the bboard systems up and
running and I'm glad to see people from outside BIONET starting to
participate.  We have been receiving a fair amount of traffic on our
EMPLOYMENT bboard lately in particular.  Users should be aware that
they can post any job openings (or requests for employment) to
employment@bionet-20.arpa (ARPANET or BITNET) or bionet.jobs on
USENET.  As with the rest of the bboards, there is no charge for the
service.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIONET Resource Manager