[bionet.general] Learning more about MM and E-mail on BIONET

KRISTOFFERSON@BIONET-20.ARPA (05/09/88)

From: David Kristofferson <Kristofferson@BIONET-20.ARPA>

The following tricks that I just sent to a scientist can help all
BIONET users get more out of the MM mail program by customizing it to
their needs.

Dave Kristofferson

	I have always found the default setting of MM (send at the S>
prompt by hitting just a <CR>) to be an annoyance.  You can customize
MM by using the PROFILE and SET commands at the MM> prompt.  For
example issuing the command SET SEND-RETURN-SENDS 0 will make it
necessary to explicitly issue the SEND command after the S> prompt to
send.  This prevents accidental mailings.  After using the PROFILE or
SET commands at the MM> prompt it is necessary to save the new
settings (to a file called MM.INIT).  This is done by entering
CREATE-INIT at the MM> prompt when you have customized the program to
your liking.

	A number of very useful things can be done to MM by this
means.  To explore the options enter HELP SET ? at the MM> prompt to
display all of the possiblities and then use HELP SET COMMANDNAME to
see how to change each option.  For example, I have my MM program set
to always go straight into EMACS (with the new Kermit more people may
want to explore this option).  This is particularly useful when
replying to a message like I am doing now.  After issuing the REPLY
command the mail program in EMACS mode goes into a split screen
display.  I can read through and excise text from the message to which
I'm replying in one window while composing my reply in the second
window!  The CTRL-X O command (or CTRL-F8 in the new IBM Kermit) in
EMACS lets one jump between windows (see also HELP ED-EMACS-REF on
BIONET for an EMACS command summary ... this is a HELP ME subtopic).

	EMACS is an editor that one initially hates compared to PC
wordprocessors (for example I would occasionally hold down the Esc key
too long and get dumped into the frigging "mini-buffer".  If you do
this, type Ctrl G once or twice to get out!  Ctrl G is the general
abort command in EMACS.).  However if one regularly uses it in the
mail program like I do and learns some of the options, one soon
discovers that EMACS is tremendously powerful.  Fortunately the
accessory files with the new version of Kermit that we are
distributing will make it easier to get started with this editor.

	Hope that this information is of use.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIONET Resource Manager

				kristofferson@bionet-20.arpa

-------

ricko@well.UUCP (Richard J Otter) (05/10/88)

In article <6218@ig.ig.com> KRISTOFFERSON@BIONET-20.ARPA writes:
>From: David Kristofferson <Kristofferson@BIONET-20.ARPA>
>

>	EMACS is an editor that one initially hates compared to PC
>wordprocessors ...
>                      ...  However if one regularly uses it in the
>mail program like I do and learns some of the options, one soon
>discovers that EMACS is tremendously powerful.

I might add that EMACS is available on many different computers
and operating systems, from micro to main frame. Once youv'e gotten
used to EMACS, you'll be able to edit text & sequences in many differnet
computing environments.

Richard Otter