[bionet.general] For Bulletin Board

KBERG@BIONET-20.ARPA (05/28/88)

From: BIONET <BIONET@BIONET-20.ARPA>

The appended message was received from Donald Parsons of the High-Voltage
Electron Microscope Biotechnology Resource.  I have reposted it on the
BIONET-NEWS bulletin Board for the general public.

Kathryn Berg
BIONET Administrator
kberg@bionet
                ---------------

Date:         Fri, 27 May 88 11:07:40 EDT
From:         Donald Parsons <DFP10%ALBNYVM1.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject:      For Bulletin Board
To:           Kathryn Berg <BIONET@BIONET-20.ARPA>

NIH HVEM BIOTECHNOLOGY RESOURCE at Albany, NY
    The Resource is free and includes a 1.2mV High-Voltage Electron Microscope
and a 3-D graphics reconstruction (STERECON) facility. We also have HVEM tomogr
aphy and advanced light microscopy (including confocal scanning laser microscop
y) available for collaborative projects. The high penetrating power of the HVEM
 allows us to serial section with 10-20 sections through a whole cell and to co
ntour each section in stereo at 5-10 levels. The same multilevel contouring can
 be applied to whole cell mounts.
      Surfaces and volumes of cells and their compartments are obtained in abso
lute terms (not possible with conventional stereology) and reliable estimates o
f 3-D shape and connectivity can be made. Such absolute morphometry can be dire
ctly correlated with energy state, stage of cell cycle, metabolic perturbation
and pathology. Send outline of proposed collaborative project to Dr.Donald Pars
ons MD, Wadsworth Center, PO Box 509, Albany NY 12201-0509. (518) 474-7047
-------