[bionet.general] New SV40 mutant database on-line !

MAULIK@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (Sunil Maulik) (07/16/88)

      ANNOUNCING A NEW DATABASE OF SV40 LARGE T ANTIGEN MUTANTS

A database comprising of  five files of  SV40 mutant lists  (including
references)has been generously contributed to BIONET. The database has
been compiled and will be maintained by:

	James M. Pipas
	Department of Biological Sciences
	University of Pittsburgh
	Pittsburgh, Pa. 15260  USA
        (412) 624-4691
	JPIPAS@BIONET-20.ARPA

Here are the definitions of the five files comprising the SV40 large
T antigen mutant database:

TAGDM:
Listing contains  DNA  sequence  information  for  SV40  early  region
deletion mutants, including  base-pairs deleted,  parental strain  and
literature reference.

TAGDMNS:
Listing contains best estimate  of map position  of SV40 early  region
deletion mutants that  have not been  sequenced.  Parental strain  and
literature citations are also listed.

TAGPM:
Listing shows base-pair changes and  amino acid substitutions of  SV40
early region point mutants.  Literature citations are also included.

TAGPMNS:
Listing shows approximate  map positions  of SV40  early region  point
mutants that  have  not  been  sequenced.   Literature  citations  are
included.

TAGTM:
Listing shows  the  primary  sequence, molecular  weight,  source  and
literature citation for a series of truncated T antigens.

Please read the HELP topic HELP SV40  at the @ for information on  how
to  search  the  database,  and  for  an  explanation  of  the   data,
references, and notes that comprise the complete database.

We hope that  the SV40 community  in particular, and  BIONET users  in
general,  find  this   database  useful  and   thank  Dr.  Pipas   for
volunteering to contribute and maintain it on BIONET.

Sincerely,

Sunil Maulik
Senior Scientific Consultant
BIONET
(415)-962-7342
Internet:Maulik@bionet-20.arpa
-------

SYS_MS@bmc1.BMC.UU.SE (07/16/88)

From: sys_ms@bmc1.bmc.uu.se
Newsgroups: bionet.general
Subject: Re: New SV40 mutant database on-line !
Date: 16 Jul 88 17:01:32 GMT

In article 22DED725_1@bmc1.bmc.uu.se, IN%"MAULIK@BIONET-20.ARPA"  "Sunil Maulik" 16-JUL-1988 01:58 writes:

>       ANNOUNCING A NEW DATABASE OF SV40 LARGE T ANTIGEN MUTANTS
>
> A database comprising of  five files of  SV40 mutant lists  (including
> references)has been generously contributed to BIONET. The database has
> been compiled and will be maintained by:
>
>     James M. Pipas
>     Department of Biological Sciences
>     University of Pittsburgh
>     Pittsburgh, Pa. 15260  USA
>         (412) 624-4691
>     JPIPAS@BIONET-20.ARPA
>
> Here are the definitions of the five files comprising the SV40 large
> T antigen mutant database:

Is this database available for the world outside bionet? We would be most
interested to put it on line in Sweden.

	Mats Sundvall				+46/18174583
	Biomedical Center			mats@bmc1.BMC.UU.SE
	University of Uppsala, Sweden		psi%24020010020620::MATS

MAULIK@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (Sunil Maulik) (07/20/88)

Dear Mats et al.

In general BIONET does  not distribute contributed databases,  leaving
that function  to  be  performed  by the  curators  of  the  databases
themselves. In  future,  Dr.  Pipas  (jpipas@bionet-20.arpa)  will  be
maintaining and updating his SV40 database directly on BIONET, and  he
will be responsible for  its distribution. His  next update should  be
immeadiately after the SV40 meeting taking place this summer.

However, because  of  the small  size  of this  database  (five  files
comprising a  total of  about  41 kb)  it  is readily  distributed  by
E-mail. Initially, I will distribute it by this medium only.  Requests
for the database by  other media should  be sent to  Dr. Pipas at  the
E-mail address above, or at:

	James M. Pipas
	Department of Biological Sciences
	University of Pittsburgh
	Pittsburgh, Pa. 15260  USA
        (412) 624-4691

Please keep an eye on your mail file for the database arriving in the
near future. I hope this clarifies the matter.

cswarren@gershwin.berkeley.edu (Warren Gish) (07/29/88)

In article <12415619527.34.MAULIK@BIONET-20.ARPA> MAULIK@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (Sunil Maulik) writes:
>Dear Mats et al.
>
>In general BIONET does  not distribute contributed databases,  leaving
>that function  to  be  performed  by the  curators  of  the  databases
>themselves...
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Sunil Maulik
>Senior Scientific Consultant
>BIONET
>(415)-962-7342
>Internet:Maulik@bionet-20.arpa

Can Pipas' SV40 mutants database be obtained via anonymous ftp?
This mechanism would be of great service, for distribution
of public domain software & info maintained on bionet-20.arpa.
Perhaps contributing authors could be asked whether their work
may be distributed in this manner.

Warren Gish
Programmer/Analyst
Division of Biological Sciences
UC Berkeley 94720
(415) 643-9219
cswarren@enzyme.berkeley.edu
cswarren@ucbviole.bitnet

Kristofferson@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (07/29/88)

BIONET will be establishing anonymous FTP and a mail server in the not
too distant future.  Our development efforts have been delayed for the
last several months by the need to go through the renewal process for
the BIONET grant.  Now that this is out of the way we can start to get
these kinds of projects back on track.  Please stand by.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIONET Resource Manager

				kristofferson@bionet-20.arpa