[bionet.general] Molecular Biology Techniques, Recipes

morrow@murdu.OZ (Christopher Morrow) (01/18/89)

What with waiting out here in the antipodes for a new version of
Maniatis (Molecular Cloning: A laboratory manual) to be published
and seeing alternative texts appearing I suggest that bionet think
about establishing a newsgroup for techniques similar to
alt.gourmand on usenet.

Alt.gourmand is a moderated newsgroup (that is all published items
have been reviewed by a moderator) that publishes food recipes.  It
was set up by Brian Reid as an experiment.  The idea was that modern
technology was going to make the world into a global village:
computer programmes could possibly help do this.  The suite of
programmes allows formatting  and printing of recipes in a device
independent manner (ie it does not matter what machine or printer you
have).  Brian will only post recipes that he thinks are interesting
and the submitter has tried themselves.

Well, My suggestion is that a similar group be set up for Molecular
biology recipes.   Information included could be the technique,
materials, suppliers, handy hints and advantages.  Readers could print
off those techiques that the thought of use in the standard format and
put them in their Lab technique folder.  Imagine having a laser
printed protocol that everyone could read.  Even the lab boss!

Chris Morrow
A Vet on UNIX

Check out Alt.gourmand.  It has an archive and even recipes for stout.

sys_ms@bmc.uu.se (Mats Sundvall) (01/19/89)

In article <1510@murdu.OZ>, morrow@murdu.OZ (Christopher Morrow) writes:

> Well, My suggestion is that a similar group be set up for Molecular
> biology recipes.   Information included could be the technique,
> materials, suppliers, handy hints and advantages.  Readers could print
> off those techiques that the thought of use in the standard format and
> put them in their Lab technique folder.  Imagine having a laser
> printed protocol that everyone could read.  Even the lab boss!
>
> Chris Morrow
> A Vet on UNIX

	Nice idea. But how do you make all type in a standard format?
 	Or is the reformatting done by the moderator?
--
		Mats Sundvall

		Biomedical Center		+46/18174583
		University of Uppsala		Mats.Sundvall@BMC.UU.SE
		Sweden				psi%24020019700620::MATS

kristoff@NET.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson) (01/20/89)

Chris,

	We have a newsgroup for posting molecular biology "recipes"
already.  As you get your postings via USENET, you should look at
bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts.  This is the USENET counter part of the
Internet/BITNET METHODS-AND-REAGENTS bulletin board.  Messages can be
posted on this USENET group or by mailing to any of the following
addresses:

methods-and-reagents@net.bio.net
methods@net.bio.net
methods-and-reagents@bmc.uu.se
methods@irlearn.ucd.ie
methods@daresbury.ac.uk

	Now some may object that almost nothing along the lines that
you request has happened here yet, and they would be correct.  A lot
of people do request information, and then get personal e-mail replies
that are never posted to the bulletin board.  EVERYONE PLEASE, if your
response is of general interest (not just "I can give you a stab of
such-and-such.") simply include the bulletin board address when you
reply or use a REPLY ALL feature if you have one in your mail program
(replies to all addresses listed in the message) to copy (cc) the
bulletin board on your response.  USENET software automatically posts
follow-up messages to the newsgroup if you use the appropriate
command.

	Of course, this alone will not start everyone posting their
favorite protocol on the network.  The funding agencies have given us
enough money to put the mechanism in place for scientists to use, but
we still don't have the in-house staff to "moderate" this kind of
effort.  We have to rely on public-spirited volunteers which in a
competitive area like science may be hoping for too much.  Being a
Peace Corps volunteer a long time back, I know that if people get off
their duffs and try to cooperate sometimes they are surprised by how
many fold their efforts can be multiplied.  At the expense of sounding
biblical (a real no-no in these arenas :-)!), you might be surprised
that if a few people actually took a little time to type up just one
of their favorite techniques and submitted it to the bulletin boards,
then others might follow suit, i.e., the old "casting your bread upon
the waters" technique.

Now how would one sort through the information posted in such a random
fashion?  Software for newsreading is still varied and of uneven
quality.  On BIONET, users can access the bulletin boards both at login
and through the MM mail program.  That program has the command

headers text xxxxx

where xxxxx is any keyword.  The command is used after the MM> prompt
and will display the numbers of all messages in the newsgroup that
contain the given keyword.  There are other options such as

headers subject xxxxx		and		headers from xxxxx

which display messages containing xxxxx on the Subject: line or from
user xxxxx.  The full range of options can be explored by entering

headers ?

at the MM> prompt.  This facility provides users with fairly powerful
access to relevant information.  If your local software does not have
such capabilities then the proper course to take is to ask someone at
your computer center to upgrade it if possible.  I know that this
takes time; I've been working on this system for over two years now
but the progress compared to two years back is noticeable.

"Ask not what the networks can do for you ... etc."

Dave Kristofferson
BIONET

kristoff@net.bio.net