[bionet.general] BIO-JOURNALS newsgroup

WMBORMON@hlerul52.bitnet (04/11/89)

The organization of a BIO-JOURNALS newsgroup is an excellent idea,
but it will of real help only if the various journal contents will
be organized in the same format. As of now, there are as many formats
as there are journals who are willing to participate in this project.
You can't have software for each of them individually.
But otherwise, a laudable initiative.

Hans van Ormondt
Sylvius Laboratory
Leiden, NL.
WMBORMOND@HLERUL52.BITNET

Kristofferson@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (04/11/89)

The organization of a BIO-JOURNALS newsgroup is an excellent idea,
but it will of real help only if the various journal contents will
be organized in the same format. As of now, there are as many formats
as there are journals who are willing to participate in this project.
You can't have software for each of them individually.
But otherwise, a laudable initiative.

Hans van Ormondt
Sylvius Laboratory
Leiden, NL.
WMBORMOND@HLERUL52.BITNET

Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment.  Actually we are taking
steps to standardize on a format (a subset of Medline).  The last few
postings from J. Virol., Mol. Cell. Biol. and CABIOS are converging.
The publishers have been very cooperative to date, but I can not force
anyone to conform to a standard if it is economically unfeasible for
them.  We will do our best in this area, but it seems that it is
better to get the data at least for on-line browsing than not at all
if format is a sticking point.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIONET Resource Manager

				kristofferson@bionet-20.bio.net

-------

elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) (04/13/89)

In article <8904111128.AA22235@net.bio.net>, WMBORMON@hlerul52.bitnet writes:
> The organization of a BIO-JOURNALS newsgroup is an excellent idea,
> but it will of real help only if the various journal contents will
> be organized in the same format. As of now, there are as many formats
> as there are journals who are willing to participate in this project.
> You can't have software for each of them individually.
> But otherwise, a laudable initiative.

This is a very good point.  What format are we going to adopt for these
contents?  I think that my favorite is the EMBL-like form, where each line of
each entry  is preceded by a 2 letter field identifier.  It is rather primitive
but it allows everyone to easily write a little parser to convert it to whatever
format they are using.  In fact, someone could volunteer to write a little
for this type of conversion.

Another point...  what should we request as far as info included in the toc's?
I suggest that we try to get the journals to include the abstracts if at all
possible.  That would make searching them a whole lot easier.  I think that
this wouldnt be a whole lot of extra work for the contributors, as they must
have this stuff stored electronically anyway.

> Hans van Ormondt
> Sylvius Laboratory
> Leiden, NL.
> WMBORMOND@HLERUL52.BITNET

-Keith Elliston

Keith O. Elliston                        |  Usenet:  uunet!rob!elliston
Senior Information Scientist             |  Arpanet: rob!elliston@uunet.uu.net
Merck Sharp & Dohme Res. Lab.            |  Bitnet:  elliston%rob.uucp@psuvax1
Rahway, NJ  07065  U.S.A.                |   -or-    elliston@biovax
Disclaimer:  I can have no OFFICIAL comments about anything........

kristoff@NET.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (04/13/89)

Keith,

By now you have probably seen my follow-up message to Dr. van Ormondt
which states that we are going with a Medline format.  I have yet to
find a publisher that can easily give out the abstracts.  All have
claimed that this involves much more expense on their part than they
currently care to pay to separate this material out.  The fact that
the abstracts aren't here yet does not mean that we haven't tried to
get them.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIONET Resource Manager

				kristoff@net.bio.net
			     or	kristofferson@bionet-20.bio.net

elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) (04/14/89)

In article <Apr.12.20.00.23.1989.14858@NET.BIO.NET>, kristoff@NET.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) writes:
> By now you have probably seen my follow-up message to Dr. van Ormondt
> which states that we are going with a Medline format.  I have yet to

Dave:

Can we have the actual MEDLINE format posted, so that some of us...(me) can
work on our programs that read the various formats and parse them for our
databases?  I have a Hypercard stack (that interfaces ORACLE) that I use for
that purpose, and it currently uses the EMBL type format, and the BRS format.
If you could post the MEDLINE format, I could modify it to do that, and then
post that stack to the net for those who might want to use it.

Thanks...

> 				Dave Kristofferson
> 				BIONET Resource Manager
>
> 				kristoff@net.bio.net
> 			     or	kristofferson@bionet-20.bio.net

-Keith

Keith O. Elliston                        |  Usenet:  uunet!rob!elliston
Senior Information Scientist             |  Arpanet: rob!elliston@uunet.uu.net
Merck Sharp & Dohme Res. Lab.            |  Bitnet:  elliston%rob.uucp@psuvax1
Rahway, NJ  07065  U.S.A.                |   -or-    elliston@biovax
Disclaimer:  I can have no OFFICIAL comments about anything........

kristoff@NET.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (04/15/89)

Keith,

	I was going to post a request for somebody to do just that as
soon as the BIO-JOURNAL newsgroup was functional. We will be happy to
put any such utilities into our anonymous FTP directory.  In fact,
both versions (Medline and EMBL) would probably be of interest to
people since I know that Amos Bairoch's sequence analysis reference
database is in EMBL format.

	I would also encourage anyone else who creates similar
software to contribute it for the FTP software since I am sure that
people are probably using a variety of reference database software out
there.

	I hope that the BIO-JOURNALS bulletin board will be functional
this next week.  I am still waiting to hear back from some of the
other BIOSCI nodes on this.

	In a nutshell, the references are divided into three fields in
the current format.  The authors are the first field and this line is
preceeded by an AU identifier followed by a space, then the names.
Next is the title field identified by TI then a space.  Finally is the
reference itself identified by an SO.  Continuation lines for any
field are simply indented three spaces.  We don't have total conformity
to this between all of our submittors yet but will make the necessary
changes.  For example, right now CABIOS is terminating their
references with a blank line and the ASM journals are using a //.  ASM
is also using three spaces after the identifiers instead of one.  I
have had on my list of projects a note to resolve these differences
and this will be done soon.