[bionet.general] kalman filter

DBK@aberystwyth.ac.uk (06/02/90)

From:	"Computers in Biotechnology, 31-MAY-1990 06:50
To:	DBK
Subj:	kalman filter

Date:         Wed, 30 May 90 23:19:44 GMT
Sender:       "Computers in Biotechnology,
              Research and Education" <EBCBBUL@HDETUD1>
From:         GAM@ABERYSTWYTH.AC.UK
Subject:      kalman filter
To:           "Douglas B. Kell" <DBK@ABERYSTWYTH.AC.UK>

                Department of Biological Sciences,
                  University College of Wales,
                 ABERYSTWYTH, Dyfed SY23 3DA, UK

Telex: 35181 ABY UCW G                  Tel: 0970 622334 (direct)
JANET/BITNET/EARN: GAM@UK.AC.ABER            Telefax: 0970 622350

In our university an instrument was developed based on dielectric
spectroscopy which can measure biomass levels on-line and in real
time. We have alrady measured several types of fermentations (batch
fermentations of various organisms, turbidostat, biofilm). We now want
to start using it for measuring mixed cultures. We wanted to start
looking at the measurement of the onset of infections. The occurrance
of an infection will change the growth rate, which can be picked up.
As the data will be rather noisy due to fluctuations (mainly caused by
airbubbles) we need some routine to get an estimate of the growth rate
from noisy data. This routine would have to work on-line. We were
thinking of using a Kalman filter, but have no experience with this. I
want to ask whether 1. there is anyone who has experience in using a
Kalman filter for on-line estimations of growth rates and 2. whether
anyone has any other suggestions for other approaches.