[bionet.general] Distribution: line for Usenet

news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (08/24/90)

For some weeks, we have been chasing a problem that bionet.* newsgroups being
gated to Usenet were not propagating.  We have discovered the cause, very
unusual Distribution: lines on almost all of the messages.

Please please use the "world" distribution.

Over here, distributions such as eunet, bionet, ... are utterly unrecognized.
On Usenet, distributions are geographic, i.e. world,na,usa,pnw,or,pdx for
world, North America, United States, Pacific NorthWest, Oregon, and Portland.

Thank you.

randy
--
..!{uunet,qiclab,intelhf}!m2xenix!news

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (08/25/90)

news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) writes:
> Over here, distributions such as eunet, bionet, ... are utterly unrecognized.
> On Usenet, distributions are geographic, i.e. world,na,usa,pnw,or,pdx for
> world, North America, United States, Pacific NorthWest, Oregon, and Portland.

	Offhand, I would say that the sys file is set up improperly at your
site, or at one of the sites in the chain that feeds you.  Usenet, being the
anarchy that it is, has distributions that are whatever people feel like
using.  Given that the bionet groups are at least nominally "owned" by the
IG folks, it seems like it's up to them to pick the distribution code they
are going to use and everybody else should just set up their sys files
accordingly.  Getting the sys file right is not really a big deal, although
it can be a bit confusing.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"