[bionet.general] Electronic publication

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (10/03/90)

	What do you think about an electronic journal?  Not a newsgroup (even
a moderated one), but a real scientific journal in which manuscripts for
full-length original research papers are submitted by email, sent for formal
review by email, subjected to the same standards as for a (shall we say) old
fashioned hard copy journal, and distributed to the subscribers
electronically.  Papers (does the term still apply?) published in such a
forum would "count" as publications, and would be cited as original research
articles.

	Much as I think it's a neat idea, I realize the world isn't ready for
this quite yet.  How to deal with figures, for example, is just one of many
technical problems.  And I won't even touch the problems of peer acceptance,
or accesibility of archives via a conventional library.  Just thought I'd
being it up as food for thought, and as a teaser to start some discussion.

	Think about it.  Do you think it's a good idea?  Do you think it
could be made to work in a year?  Two years?  Five?  Ten?  Twenty?  What if
the technical problems could be solved today, say by magically putting a 10
MIPS Megapixel greyscale X terminal on everybody's desk, with universal T1 or
better connectivity?  Would you subscribe?  Would you submit manuscripts to
it?  Would your colleagues?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

westerm@aclcb.purdue.edu (Rick Westerman) (10/03/90)

>	Think about it.  Do you think it's a good idea?  Do you think it
>could be made to work in a year?  Two years?  Five?  Ten?  Twenty?  What if

10 years, at least.

>the technical problems could be solved today, say by magically putting a 10
>MIPS Megapixel greyscale X terminal on everybody's desk, with universal T1 or
>better connectivity?

A major problem is the connectivity and recovery of costs. Until the USA
has a fast universal network (such as Internet) where commerical interests are
allowed to recover costs (like CompuServe, Genie, etc.) -- and a commerical
interest is needed for a good journal; someone has to pay for the
editing/layup/etc. -- the journal won't be feasible. True, there is the
technical problems of a univeral format for figures and technical problem
of displaying the journal, but in my opinion, these problems pale in
comparision of the political problem of universal, cost-recovery, networking.

-- Rick

Rick Westerman                        AIDS Center Laboratory for Computational
Internet: westerm@aclcb.purdue.edu    Biochemistry, Biochemistry building,
(317) 494-0505                        Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN 47907

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (10/03/90)

I think an electronic journal is a great idea.  With the advent of easy to use
hypermedia, I think all the technical problems could be ironed out in a year or
two.  The format would most likely be HyperCard/Toolbook.  As for cost recovery,
aren't there on-line services right now for which you need to pay a fee to get
an account?  All you need is a mail list for which you need to pay a
subscription fee.

I see the biggest hurdle as acceptance by the scientific community.  Many don't
know the Net exists and most don't know what you can do with it.  The answer to
this (and I hate to say it) would be advertising.

*

gilbertd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (10/04/90)

Drosophila Information Service is switching from paper to electronic.
This was not a refereed journal, but a methods, notes and short
research article journal for Drosophila workers.  If you subscribe
to Genetics, you'll get a notice about it.  It will be January
or so until papers are distributed, but there is now an e-mailing
list for DIS.

If you are interested in subscribing to the DIS list, then send an
email message
  To:  listserv@iubvm
  Subject: sub dis-l@iubvm

If you want to unsubscribe to this list, send a message
  To:  listserv@iubvm
  Subject:  uns dis-l@iubvm

For more information on the details of this list, please contact the
moderator, Kathy Matthews at MATTHEWK@IUBACS.BITNET.

-- Don

Don.Gilbert@Iubio.Bio.Indiana.Edu
biocomputing office, indiana univ., bloomington, in 47405, usa

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (10/04/90)

There was a rather extended discussion of electronic publication on
the BIO-MATRIX (bionet.molbio.bio-matrix) newsgroup about a month back
and the subscribers on that newsgroup were quite interested.  In fact
at the MATRIX meeting in July, there was talk of starting an
electronic journal for the BIO-MATRIX organization, but the press of
everyday affairs appears to have kept much from happening since then.
I would suggest continuing this discussion in that forum since the
subscribers had many excellent suggestions and some may not subscribe
to BIONEWS (bionet.general).
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

davison@MENUDO.UH.EDU (Dan Davison) (10/04/90)

Dave Kristofferson sez:

> There was a rather extended discussion of electronic publication on
> the BIO-MATRIX (bionet.molbio.bio-matrix) newsgroup about a month back
> and the subscribers on that newsgroup were quite interested.  In fact
> at the MATRIX meeting in July, there was talk of starting an
> electronic journal for the BIO-MATRIX organization, but the press of
> everyday affairs appears to have kept much from happening since then.
> I would suggest continuing this discussion in that forum since the
> subscribers had many excellent suggestions and some may not subscribe
> to BIONEWS (bionet.general).

I have complete archives of these discussions.  I can make them
available if folks want.  I don't think they should be posted as they
are 58Kb in size.  Should I put them up on the UH Gene-Server?

dan
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU

"Comparing bad weather to rape: 'if it's inevitable, just relax and
enjoy it'"  Clayton Williams, Republican candidate for Governor of
Texas. ...And THIS is the kind of person and attitute most Texans find
acceptable...in 1990...very sad.

myself.

Robert.H.Gross@MAC.DARTMOUTH.EDU (10/04/90)

     I have actually discussed the possibility of electronic publishing with
several publishers of paper journals.  They are very interested in the idea,
but have no idea of how to proceed.  The problems with cost recover and
distribution are part of the difficulty.  Let me raise a couple of interesting
ideas.  I am not necessarily recommending these ideas, but merely pointing out
some interesting possibilities.  Hopefully, this will generate some
discussion.

* Costs could be (partially) recovered by having electronic advertising in the
  published electronic journal.  Advertisers would pay as they do now.
Readers
  would see the advertising when the look at the journal (as they do now).
* Readers could go to an online BBoard and read the table of contents of the
  journal (after seeing the electronic ads?).  If papers are of interest, they
  could be downloaded and a fee charged to the user.
* If hypermedia links could be implemented, it should be possible to have
  references in the text of the paper actually link to the referenced paper
  itself.  Clicking the reference in the text of the paper with a mouse would
  then open another window containing the referenced paper.  Obviously, this
will
  take many years and many electronic publications to become at all feasible,
but
  it might be an important long range goal.
* Again, utilizing hypermedia techniques, it would be interesting to allow
some
  (refereed) comments to be attached to the published paper.  These comments
or
  notes could be accessed as in the last point with a mouse.  For example, I
  might attach a comment to text in the paper suggesting an alternative
  interpretation of the data; the authors of the paper may attach new data at
  later date that relates to the original paper (or at least attach a pointer
  a newer paper).  Thus the original publication can be considered dynamic.
The
  old data always will be there, but will be put in the context of more recent
  information and will benefit :) from comments of knowledgeable readers.
* The previous point raises the question of what constitutes a paper and
  therefore what constitutes authorship.  If I attach to a published paper a 4
  page comment that contains experimental data and interpretive text, do I get
  "credit" for a publication?  Should the original authors be co-authors on
the
  added "comment"? etc.

                                        Bob Gross
                                        Biology & Molecular Genetics
                                        Dartmouth College

                                        bob.gross@dartmouth.edu

ldow@biosys.UUCP (Leslie Johnston-Dow) (10/04/90)

Bob.Gross@MAC.DARTMOUTH.EDU writes:
< lots of stuff deleted >
>* If hypermedia links could be implemented, it should be possible to
>have  references in the text of the paper actually link to the
>referenced paper  itself.  Clicking the reference in the text of the
>paper with a mouse wouldthen open another window containing the
>referenced paper.  Obviously, this will  take many years and many
>electronic publications to become at all feasible,but  it might be an
>important long range goal.
>* Again, utilizing hypermedia techniques, it would be interesting to
>allow some  (refereed) comments to be attached to the published
>paper.  These comments or notes could be accessed as in the last
>point with a mouse.  For example, I  might attach a comment to text
>in the paper suggesting an alternative  interpretation of the data;
>the authors of the paper may attach new data at a  later date that
>relates to the original paper (or at least attach a pointer to  a newer
>paper).  Thus the original publication can be considered
>dynamic. The  old data always will be there, but will be put in the
>context of more recent  information and will benefit :) from
>comments of knowledgeable readers.

Well, what the above says to me is that electronically published
papers might also be linked to the databases. or possibly included in
the databases. For example, would the sequence and the features of
the sequence ( in a DNA sequencing paper) really need to be included
in the papers or could they exist as a pointer to a location in
GenBank? This could help to solve the problem concerning
researchers submissions of published sequences to GenBank.

>Bob writes......>
>* The previous point raises the question of what constitutes a paper
>and  therefore what constitutes authorship.  If I attach to a
>published paper a 4  page comment that contains experimental data
>and interpretive text, do I get  "credit" for a publication?  Should the
>original authors be co-authors on the  added "comment"? etc.

I would not be too concerned with the authorship problem if all of
 this was contained inside a database. I could envision an electronic
journal existing initially as a separate entitiy. As newer 'volumes' are
 'published' the older ones would be included in a database . This
 woudl be the obvious place to add on the comment updates etc. That
way there would be different forums for the initial publication and
the subsequent, ah shall we say......'comments'   8-)   8-) .. So when
the 'comments become too extensive they could be published in a
different format, in an original electronic journal.

Would any of the GenBank people like to comment on the feasibility
 of this?

Leslie

Leslie Johnston-Dow
ldow@apldbio.com
Disclaimer "MINE MINE MINE"

UNASMITH@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Una Smith) (10/04/90)

> Roy Smith <

>        What do you think about an electronic journal?

[stuff deleted]

Sounds great.  But what you describe is mostly making the
mechanics of submitting to a journal electronic, which some paper
journals already are.  While it is nice to read stuff via email,
the pleasure is largely in the immediacy, not the act of looking
at a monitor.  Wouldn't it be nice to have extremely rapid
turn-around of submitted manuscripts, and immediate receipt by
subscribers be nice?  Wouldn't it be nicer to have all that _and_
a paper copy for passing on to friends who don't/can't get email,
or for filing away in existing filing systems?  If a document
isn't used often, there is little justification for keeping it on
a computer, and paper archives are often more convenient and
durable than computer tape archives.

>        Much as I think it's a neat idea, I realize the world isn't ready for
>this quite yet.  How to deal with figures, for example, is just one of many
>technical problems.  And I won't even touch the problems of peer
acceptance, >or accesibility of archives via a conventional
library.  Just thought I'd >being it up as food for thought, and
as a teaser to start some discussion.

Figures are not really a problem.  Let me explain with an actual
example.   You may have seen reports in the newspapers, whenever a new
fast computer comes out on the market, that give figures from the Dongarra
Report.  This report is a carefully written, typeset manuscript authored
by one Jack Dongarra at Los Alamos.  The latest version is always available
in a public archive from which interested readers can get a copy.  The
document is stored in MS Word format;  to read it, each user downloads the
paper to a Macintosh computer, and prints it from there.  It is now possible,
given agreement among the parties involved as to standard formats, for any
document to be made available (and received by its readers) as soon as it is
finished.  It is not uncommon in Physics for this to happen.  In countries
without an electronic network infrastructure, fax machines are a good
substitute.

>        Think about it.  Do you think it's a good idea?  Do you think it
>could be made to work in a year?  Two years?  Five?  Ten?  Twenty?  What if
>the technical problems could be solved today, say by magically putting a 10
>MIPS Megapixel greyscale X terminal on everybody's desk, with universal T1 or
>better connectivity?  Would you subscribe?  Would you submit manuscripts to
>it?  Would your colleagues?

Why would you need such hardware to read a document?  The document would
naturally be tranmitted in its entirety to your machine, not spoon-fed
across the ether.  However 'interactive' a document may appear to be, with
(let's imagine) sound and full color, it's still a static document.  The
personal computers sitting on most of our desks today, plus our better
printers, are adequate to match or better the quality of delivery of any
printed journal _today_, not n years from now.

  - Una            UNASMITH@PUCC                 : BITNET
                   unasmith@pucc.Princeton.EDU   : Internet
                   una@tropic.Princeton.EDU      : Internet

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (10/04/90)

> Would any of the GenBank people like to comment on the feasibility
> of this?

Paul Gilna at LANL is in charge of GenBank interactions with journal
editors and may care to contribute.  The concept of using the database
as a medium for publication has been suggested by the GenBank crew for
several years now.  GenBank's AuthorIn software is designed to provide
a certain level of "automatic review" to assist in this process, and
LANL is developing other sequence validation software for these
purposes.  There are also sociological issues that need resolution
here and Paul has been working with journal editors on a variety of
important issues for some time now.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net
--
				Sincerely,

				David Kristofferson, Ph.D.
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (10/05/90)

1.  What role do people imagine the Xanadu system to play in this publishing.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, look up Ted Nelson's book
"Computer Lib/Dream Machines" (or maybe another one of his books.)  Apparently
the Xanadu system should be coming out soon (in a recent BYTE article Ted
suggested next year, which I figure means 1992).  Theoretically, this system
would cover the technical details of general hypermedia publication.

2.  Given hypermedia publishing, what do people think of making the raw data
from experiments a part of the publication?

*

frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca (10/05/90)

I would like to offer my 2 cents worth concerning several threads of the
electronic journal discussion.  First, the concern has been expressed that
electronic journals will be hard to start because, at first, funding agencies,
tenure review committees etc. won't rank them as being equivalent in value to
'hard copy' journals, even if they subject to the same strict standards of peer
review.  Secondly, the issues of cost recovery and standardization have to be
addressed.  I, personally, am rather optimistic on these points, because I think
that the following scenario is a likely one for how electronic journals will
evolve.

First of all, it seems to me that rather than starting electronic journals
(EJ's) de novo (God knows we don't need any more journals!), the EJ's will
simply be electronic versions of the hard copy journals already in existence.
Much of the pieces of this are already in place.  Some journals (NAR, CELL)
prefer submission of manuscripts on diskette, and can read a number of word
processor formats.
Indeed, many word processors have the ability to read or write in 'foreign'
formats.  In a few cases, this capability even extends to digitized images.
So, to create an electronic journal, we need journals like NAR and CELL to
archive compressed versions of articles for availability via FTP. It doesn't
cost them much (other than disk space) to set up, because most of the work
has already been done! Most likely they will charge a fee for each article
downloaded, with a discount per article if you download a whole issue. At first,
the articles don't necessarily have to come to the user in the exact, final
form that they appear in the hard copy journal.  If your word processor can
generate something fairly nice with the characters and graphics you get, that
will often be satisfactory.

These problems will iron themselves out.
As people start to use this service, the demand for translation software will
cause that software to be written; de facto standards in format will also
arise by 'natural' selection, as they always do.  As people begin to see the
value of getting fresh, clean copy from their office computer, rather than
having to truck over to the library and use an overworked, abused xerox machine,
more subscribers will be willing to pay for access to electronic journals. As
popularity increases still further, the more innovative users will take
advantage of the fact that having journals in electronic form means that
you can easily scan large numbers of articles by keyword, to find whatever
it is you're looking for.  Over time, electronic services provided by journals
will be a significant percentage of the income of these journals. Libraries can
save money too.  After all, isn't it cheaper to build a shelf to hold journals
on CD than it is to build a new wing?  Who needs all that paper?

By this time, the more innovative journals will have started including
hypermedia concepts into their publications.  This will pave the way to
making the computer be what we really want it to be: a general purpose machine
that finds and correlates data in response to queries.  Ideally, the
computer can be one big database (although I have a feeling that there is some
sort or square or cube law that makes the interconnections among all these
pieces of data get very complex very quickly).

Anyway, the electronic journal is the place to start, and it should start with
existing journals, as I have described above.  In a short time, we'll
wonder how we ever got along without them.

Brian Fristensky                | "... and finally, after silent minutes of
Dept. of Plant Science          | reflection upon his sparkling image in the
University of Manitoba          | mirror, he was forced to come to grips with
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    | the shameful truth about what he had become:
frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca          | an Elvis impersonator."
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |
FAX:            204-275-5128    | from  TALES FROM MICKEY'S SUBCONSCIOUS

westerm@aclcb.purdue.edu (Rick Westerman) (10/05/90)

> frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:
>
> (deleted)
>
>So, to create an electronic journal, we need journals like NAR and CELL to
>archive compressed versions of articles for availability via FTP. It doesn't
>cost them much (other than disk space) to set up, because most of the work
>has already been done! Most likely they will charge a fee for each article
>downloaded, with a discount per article if you download a whole issue.
>
> (rest deleted)

But this charge scheme can't work because the current networks (Internet
& Bitnet) are NON-COMMERICAL; there is no way to charge for FTPing, mailing,
or anything else. The journals could be published on a commerical network
such as Compuserve or Genie, but not all scientists have access to such
networks, nor are these networks high speed. The journals could also set up
their own bulletin board system with modems and a user subscription fee, but
this is an incredible amount of hassle for little gain and, additionally,
it is also low speed. Or the journals could publish a companion diskette to
their paper-copy journals -- many computer magazines already do this -- but
once again the gain is minimual.

I repeat my position (mentioned a couple days ago): Until the USA has a
high speed, near universal, commerical (or semi-commerical) network the
concept of an electronic journal is just a dream, no matter what nifty
hardware devices or software we envision using.

westerm@BCHM1.ACLCB.PURDUE.EDU (Rick Westerman) (10/05/90)

> frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:
>
> (deleted)
>
>So, to create an electronic journal, we need journals like NAR and CELL to
>archive compressed versions of articles for availability via FTP. It doesn't
>cost them much (other than disk space) to set up, because most of the work
>has already been done! Most likely they will charge a fee for each article
>downloaded, with a discount per article if you download a whole issue.
>
> (rest deleted)

But this charge scheme can't work because the current networks (Internet
& Bitnet) are NON-COMMERICAL; there is no way to charge for FTPing, mailing,
or anything else. The journals could be published on a commerical network
such as Compuserve or Genie, but not all scientists have access to such
networks, nor are these networks high speed. The journals could also set up
their own bulletin board system with modems and a user subscription fee, but
this is an incredible amount of hassle for little gain and, additionally,
it is also low speed. Or the journals could publish a companion diskette to
their paper-copy journals -- many computer magazines already do this -- but
once again the gain is minimual.

I repeat my position (mentioned a couple days ago): Until the USA has a
high speed, near universal, commerical (or semi-commerical) network the
concept of an electronic journal is just a dream, no matter what nifty
hardware devices or software we envision using.

-- Rick

Rick Westerman                        AIDS Center Laboratory for Computational
Internet: westerm@aclcb.purdue.edu    Biochemistry, Biochemistry building,
(317) 494-0505                        Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN 47907

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (10/05/90)

One thing which concerns me about electronic publication, and
that only occurred to after reading a couple of the posts on
this subject, is this: I have done the bulk of my research
in the tropics (I'm a coral reef ecologist; don't ask me why
I'm in Ohio now, I don't really know...). It's hard enough to
get PAPER journals there, let alone computer access to the net,
or CD-ROM readers....we in the first world often forget that
there are scientists in the third world, too, and they rely
just as we do on journals for dissemination of information.

I would urge the scientific community as a whole not to forget
the economic realities in the non-technological parts of the
world.
------
Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
voice: 513-529-1679      fax: 513-529-6900
jahayes@miamiu.bitnet, or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
Now look inside; what do you see? That's easy: that's a pickle.

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (10/05/90)

> I repeat my position (mentioned a couple days ago): Until the USA has a
> high speed, near universal, commerical (or semi-commerical) network the
> concept of an electronic journal is just a dream, no matter what nifty
> hardware devices or software we envision using.

I tend to agree for any journal of major significance.  Copyright
issues are also a major problem for electronic distribution.  However,
I think it is still possible for smaller groups such as BIO-MATRIX to
have their own specialty electronic journals.  I would not be
surprised if the readership of BIOSCI, for example, is larger than
that of CABIOS.  A moderated newsgroup would require a donation of
time by some prominent scientists who would agree to review electronic
papers and then post them to the newsgroup.  This would not be flashy
production, but it might work in small, but computer literate
specialties.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

harper@csc.fi (Rob Harper (Supercomputer Centre Finland)) (10/06/90)

In article <90278.101449JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET>, JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:

> I would urge the scientific community as a whole not to
forget
> the economic realities in the non-technological parts of the
> world.
> ------

I was recently in Knoxville at an international meeting
on Biological Nitrogen Fixation. I did some demo's of the
BIOSCI newsgroups and the most enthusiastic people were
from the "third world" who could not believe their eyes
that the list of contents of major journals were being
published online a couple of months before the journals
would be available for sale.

I also showed the ANU NEWS interface to a visiting Professor
from Checkoslovakia who commented that when he gets Nature
it is 6 months old, and he can never get reprints since they
are all gone by the time he requests them.

I also know of projects at the University of Guelph where
they use a conferencing system called CoSy and they have
collaboration with Univrsities in Indonesia. Say a research
worker wants a literature search. There are people at Guelph
who will run the search on their library mainframe, and
dump it into the researchers mailbox for collection.

I think that this type of "Scientific interaction" is perhaps
the best possible "aid" that the first world can give to the
third.

Rob "do the right thing" Harper.

dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk (David S. Stodolsky) (10/27/90)

Full paper to be posted shortly:

Consensus Journals:
Invitational journals based upon peer consensus

Computer networks open new possibilities for scientific communication
in terms of quality, efficiency, and rapidity. The current project is
developing a method of scientific communication that has the economy
of invitational journals and the objectivity of journals based upon
the peer review. That is, all articles are published and the reader
benefits from article selection based upon impartial refereeing. An
additional benefit of consensus journals is that the negotiation
process, that typically occurs prior to publication, is automated,
thus saving efforts of participants.

All readers are free to submit reviews that evaluate articles on
multiple dimensions. A statistical procedure is used to identify the
most knowledgeable representative of consensus positions and these
referees are invited to submit articles that justify the review
judgments they have submitted. A major advantage of this approach is
the ability to develop reputation without article publication.

The method includes a protection mechanism based upon pseudonyms,
that substitutes for the protection of anonymous review typical with
scientific journals. This reduces the potential for irresponsible
behavior and facilitates reputation development.  The level of
quality enhancement is superior to that achievable with anonymous
peer review.

Eliminating the need for an editor and the delay associated with
conventional refereeing makes message quality enhancement available
in systems for educational and business environments.

--
David S. Stodolsky                  Office: + 45 46 75 77 11 x 21 38
Department of Computer Science                Home: + 45 31 55 53 50