[bionet.general] Westinghouse Project

SCF7@manvax.bitnet ("MYRNA E. WATANABE") (11/05/90)

Regarding the suggested Westinghouse Projects that came over the net
from mmm@cup.portal.com and Roy's request (which I deleted by mistake):
this brings up the question of whether a high school student who requests
a Westinghouse or Science Fair project should be handed it from a research
scientist.

I discussed this with my sister, who, for the last four years, ran the
New York City School Science Fair for the New York Academy of Sciences.
The NYAS places students from their Junior Academy in laboratories in the
New York area, but the general attitude is that the students SHOULD NOT be
going into the labs asking for a Westinghouse or Science Fair project.  If
a scientist asks about this, he or she is usually told that they should
tell the student:  "You are welcome to work in my laboratory to learn what
it is like to be a research scientist and learn laboratory techniques.  If
your only goal is the completion of a project for competition, then you
should not be working here.  If, in the course of your work here, a
Westinghouse or Science Fair project develops, I will do whatever I can to
assist you, with the understanding that this project is mainly your own
work."  Obviously, there are limitations here.  For the Science Fair projects,
and, I suspect, the Westinghouse Projects, all invasive animal procedures
must be done by the research scientist and cannot be done by the student.

The point of this, is the fear that the PROJECT becomes the end all and be
all for the student, and that laboratory experience without the immediate
goal of a project also is valuable (albeit, there is no prize or recognition
or admission to Harvard or MIT here).

For the record, I have no opinion on this matter, but I think it is worthy
of debate.

Myrna E. Watanabe
Biology Department
Manhattan College
Bronx, NY 10471
USA
scf7@manvax.bitnet

smith@mcclb0.med.nyu.edu (11/05/90)

In article <9011050217.AA02448@genbank.bio.net>, SCF7@manvax.bitnet ("MYRNA E. WATANABE") writes:
> Regarding the suggested Westinghouse Projects that came over the net
> from mmm@cup.portal.com and Roy's request (which I deleted by mistake):
> this brings up the question of whether a high school student who requests
> a Westinghouse or Science Fair project should be handed it from a research
> scientist.
>
> ... the general attitude is that the students SHOULD NOT be
> going into the labs asking for a Westinghouse or Science Fair project.  If
> a scientist asks about this, he or she is usually told that they should
> tell the student:  "You are welcome to work in my laboratory to learn what
> it is like to be a research scientist and learn laboratory techniques.  If
> your only goal is the completion of a project for competition, then you
> should not be working here.  If, in the course of your work here, a
> Westinghouse or Science Fair project develops, I will do whatever I can to
> assist you, with the understanding that this project is mainly your own
> work."
> The point of this, is the fear that the PROJECT becomes the end all and be
> all for the student, and that laboratory experience without the immediate
> goal of a project also is valuable (albeit, there is no prize or recognition
> or admission to Harvard or MIT here).

I absolutely agree. We had a 'Westinghouse' student from a local high school
here last year.  It was a worthless experience for everybody, and I have NO
intention of doing it again.  The problem is that the schools send the
students out with the charge to 'find a Westinghouse project, dead or alive'.
The schools  themselves need to realize that this idea of asking every
student to  get a Westinghouse project is totally inapropriate.

|Ross Smith, Cell Biology,  NYU Medical Center,  550 First Ave.,  NYC, 10016|
|Phone: (212) 340-5356: FAX: (212) 340-8139 (Alternate NYUMC) (212) 340-7190|
|E-Mail:  SMITH@NYUMED.BITNET (BITNET),  SMITH@MCCLB0.MED.NYU.EDU (Internet)|

NUM208JN@NRCCAD.NRC.CA (JOHN NASH) (11/07/90)

G'morning folks,

About the following comments on high school students coming into labs for help
on Science Fair projects:

and ROSS SMITH writes:

> I absolutely agree. We had a 'Westinghouse' student from a local high school
> here last year.  It was a worthless experience for everybody, and I have NO
> intention of doing it again.

Fair enough, but I've had mixed experiences with such students.  We've had
students come in wanting us to do some fancy cloning experiment for them (and
we've gently made them see the light).  On the other hand, we've had the
pleasant experiences.

Last year, we had a pair of students come to use and ask for help in designing
a basic anaerobic bioreactor.  We gave them the books, a few tips, and they set
up the reactor themselves using equipment available from kitchens and hardware
stores.  We gave them advice (and I believe we analysed some samples through
the GC for them) but they did all the real  work - setting the reactor up,
keeping it alive, etc.  They did fairly well... and I believe we should
encourage such students.

Another year, we had a student do some "Game of Life" programming in
conjunction with a population genetics professor, and the student did a good
job (by himself)!  Maybe the scientists/professors should chat with the
students a couple of times, giving them references to look at during the first
chat, before committing themselves either way.  I've also been a judge at the
local Science Fair (post-docs were "encouraged" to do these things at my last
place!), and you can tell the original projects during the demonstrations.

     cheers,
     John,

     John Nash <bitnet: NUM208JN@NRCCAD.NRC.CA >
     Institute for Biological Sciences,