[bionet.general] LISTSERV messages

gribskov@FCRFV1.NCIFCRF.GOV ("Gribskov, Michael") (01/29/91)

I am a little confused about the recent series of messages
from the IRLEARN LISTSERV, and I think maybe others will be too.
I subscribe to bionews through the U.S. genbank.bio.net site.
Are we supposed to confirm our subscriptions, or is this only for those
who subscribe through the listserver at IRLEARN?

Thanks for the help

Michael Gribskov
gribskov@ncifcrf.gov

JREES@vax.oxford.ac.uk (01/29/91)

Mike Gribskov asks one of two questions relating to the listserv's
desire to maintin its self into the future (Dave, didn't we all answer
your survey??!)

>I am a little confused about the recent series of messages
>from the IRLEARN LISTSERV, and I think maybe others will be too.
>I subscribe to bionews through the U.S. genbank.bio.net site.
>Are we supposed to confirm our subscriptions, or is this only for those
>who subscribe through the listserver at IRLEARN?
>
>Thanks for the help
>
>Michael Gribskov
>gribskov@ncifcrf.gov

But for those of use who do need to use the confirm: the syntax given is
non-functional, it seems to want lots of "+" signs along the lines of:

CONFIRM EMBL+DB
CONFIRM +GENBANK
CONFIRM BIO+SOFT
CONFIRM +BIONEWS

Yours, (confused but confirmed),    Jasper Rees

Jrees@Vax.Oxford.ac.uk
Seqtest@wccf.MIT.edu

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (01/29/91)

> I am a little confused about the recent series of messages
> from the IRLEARN LISTSERV, and I think maybe others will be too.
> I subscribe to bionews through the U.S. genbank.bio.net site.
> Are we supposed to confirm our subscriptions, or is this only for those
> who subscribe through the listserver at IRLEARN?

I'll check what happened there, but I think that this posting was a
mistake.  The only people who should pay any attention are people who
subscribe directly at IRLEARN, but, on the other hand, only those
people were supposed to receive the message according to my
understanding.

                                Sincerely,

                                Dave Kristofferson
                                GenBank Manager

                                kristoff@genbank.bio.net

harper@nic.funet.fi (Robert Harper) (01/29/91)

JREES@vax.oxford.ac.uk writes:

>>I am a little confused about the recent series of messages
>>from the IRLEARN LISTSERV, and I think maybe others will be too.
>>I subscribe to bionews through the U.S. genbank.bio.net site.
>>Are we supposed to confirm our subscriptions, or is this only for those
>>who subscribe through the listserver at IRLEARN?
>>
>>Thanks for the help
>>
>>Michael Gribskov
>>gribskov@ncifcrf.gov

I could try to give some explaination but it would be like trying
to knit a string vest out of spagetti so instead I will only give
some advice.

1) If you read bionet messages on USENET IGNORE confirm requests
2) If you have subscribed to the BIOSCI node at GENBANK, DARESBURY
   or BMC IGNORE confirm requests.
3) If you are subscribed to the BIOSCI node at IRLEARN then you will
   get a message from LISTSERV@IRLEARN asking you to CONFIRM your
   subscription... so look at the mail address header to see where the
   message is coming from.

This CONFIRM is a new feature to LISTSERV, and I already warned Dave
Kristofferson that something like this would happen. I have no idea
if this feature can be disabled... I fear it might be hard coded into
LISTSERV. Anyway I will scout around and see if there is any solution.

NUM208JN@NRCCAD.NRC.CA (JOHN NASH) (01/30/91)

Hello netfolks...

This CONFIRM business has also got me confused.  First, I confirmed using the
syntax recommended by the "please CONFIRM" note.  The LISTSERV told me that I
was not subscribed to the respective LISTS.  Then I saw the following message:

---

jr>But for those of use who do need to use the confirm: the syntax given is
jr>non-functional, it seems to want lots of "+" signs along the lines of:

jr>CONFIRM EMBL+DB
jr>CONFIRM +GENBANK
jr>CONFIRM BIO+SOFT
jr>CONFIRM +BIONEWS

jr>Yours, (confused but confirmed),    Jasper Rees

---
So... I followed this syntax, and the LISTSERV has just (re)-told me that I am
not subscribed to the relevant LISTS.  Hmmmm!  Any tips?

yours (confused and still not confirmed),

John Nash.   <bitnet: NUM208JN@NRCCAD.NRC.CA>