[bionet.general] listserver messages

MITCHKF%ESVAX@dupont.com (01/29/91)

	What do the recent messages from the listserver at IRLEARN
mean?  Sending a message to it does not seem to work, I get back an
"error in address message".  Do we need to confirm our subscriptions
and, if so, to whom?

Thanks,  Ken Mitchell.

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (01/30/91)

> 	What do the recent messages from the listserver at IRLEARN
> mean?  Sending a message to it does not seem to work, I get back an
> "error in address message".  Do we need to confirm our subscriptions
> and, if so, to whom?
>
> Thanks,  Ken Mitchell.

Confirmation is not necessary unless you subscribe at IRLEARN.  For
those who do, please be sure to send confirmations to the
LISTSERV@IRLEARN.BITNET address and not to the newsgroups!

Please note that any BIOSCI messages posted originally to IRLEARN will
carry the IRLEARN header.  You will see this header even if your
subscription does not originate at IRLEARN because the message passed
through that site.  The only way that you can determine if you are
***subscribed*** through IRLEARN is either:

1) you remember signing up for BIOSCI at that node or,

2) ALL of your BIOSCI bulletins ALWAYS have the IRLEARN header.  A
good case in point would be this message.  All of my postings
originate at the GenBank computer in California.  BIOSCI readers who
get their messages directly from us or through Daresbury in the U.K.
or through Univ. Uppsala in Sweden will not see any reference to
IRLEARN in the header to this message because the message would not go
through IRLEARN's computer.  Only subscribers to BIONEWS directly
through IRLEARN will see their header on any of my postings since
their copy is sent first from GenBank to IRLEARN for further
distribution.  If you read the messages through USENET news, you will
probably never see IRLEARN's header and can safely ignore all
confirmation requests.

Please note that each BIOSCI node has two separate mailing lists.  One
forwards postings to the other three BIOSCI nodes for redistribution
and the second mails to "local" e-mail recipients from that node.  I
have encouraged IRLEARN to set this LISTSERV CONFIRM feature to mail
only to their local list to avoid confusion, but it is not clear yet
if this can be done.  If it can't, I would hope that the CONFIRM
feature would be disabled.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager