[bionet.general] Publishing electronic images

SOFER@ANCHOR.RUTGERS.EDU (Bill Sofer) (12/03/90)

My lab uses a high resolution CCD camera to capture grey scale
images for analysis. Mostly, we do desitometric scans of
gel-based electrophoretic assays, but we also measure densities
and positions off of ethidium bromide-stained gels, Southerns, etc.

We can also capture the images and edit them with appropriate
software. Lanes can be cut out, rearranged and marked, and the
output can be sent to a service bureau for near-photographic
output.

My problem is that such output appears to be unacceptable to
most journals. When we recently submitted images treated in the
above manner to a journal we were told that only photographs
are appropriate. I am told that digitized images when subjected
to the processes that printers ordinarily use to put grey scale
pictures into journals produce moire patterns.

I have several questions. First of all, is it true that most (all?)
journals adhere to this policy? Second, if so, are there any efforts
being mounted to change it? In particular, in light of the increased
talk of electronic publications and the fact that many journals take
text electronically, isn't there a need for scientists and publishers
to get together to work out ways to solve problems like this one?
Finally, are there other people out there who have encountered similar
problems and have solved them (without having to go back to
photography, darkrooms, scissors and paste)?

Bill Sofer
Waksman Institute
Rutgers University
Sofer@Biovax.rutgers.edu

rms@acsu.buffalo.edu (robert m straubinger) (12/04/90)

In article <F5F7728D439F403BA3@mbcl.rutgers.edu> SOFER@ANCHOR.RUTGERS.EDU (Bill Sofer) writes:

>My lab uses a high resolution CCD camera to capture grey scale
>images for analysis.
>	(stuff deleted)
>My problem is that such output appears to be unacceptable to
>most journals.
>	(stuff deleted)
> I am told that digitized images when subjected
>to the processes that printers ordinarily use to put grey scale
>pictures into journals produce moire patterns.

	We've had similar problems, but only with some journals. The moire
pattern you mention arises when (some) journals mask the images with
screens of varying density, then reshoot the image through the screen.
CCD images and photographs of monitors *have* regular horizontal/vertical
patterns (even if they look pretty good to the eye) and these elements produce
the moire pattern when screened. In some cases, the moire can be subtle,
and have the effect of creating details -- bands and new 'structures' in cells.
Our (low-tech) solutions include: (1) choose a journal that can print such
photos (I don't know why some journals are *much* better than others; I suspect
care and production methods); (2) call the journal and ask them to reshoot
(sometimes the improvement is amazing); (3) filter out the worst of the CCD
'cell' pattern that causes the moire -- smoothing/blurring/averaging
or fourier -- before producing the final copy you send the journal.
	Just wait 'till you try publishing color images; this is the only
way we can convey some kinds of information in our images, and the costs
are ASTRONOMICAL.

Bob Straubinger
Pharmaceutics, SUNY/Bflo
rms@acsu.buffalo.edu

Robert.H.Gross@MAC.DARTMOUTH.EDU (12/04/90)

   Bill Sofer asks about submitting electronic images.
   I have had success submitting images to NIH and NSF in grant proposals
using digitized gel scans that were printed on the LaswerWriter (at least they
have not complained about the images).  I think in part it depends on what the
images are meant to show.
   One option is to use a densitometric tracing of each gel lane.
   I agree with Bill that there is a need for some standardized method to
submit and publish digitized images.

             Bob Gross
             Dept. Biology, Dartmouth College
             Hanover, New Hampshire 03755
             bob.gross@dartmouth.edu

toms@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Tom Schneider) (12/04/90)

(Bill Sofer) writes:

>My lab uses a high resolution CCD camera to capture grey scale
>images for analysis...

>My problem is that such output appears to be unacceptable to
>most journals.

A paper of mine is now in press that has computer generated figures.  If they
had been photographed, then either the smooth grey background would have been
destroyed, or the lettering would have been degraded.  To assure that the image
was exactly as I wanted it, I sent them negatives.  If your output is in
PostScript, then you can get your image 'typeset' at rather high resolutions
(up to 2540 dots per inch!), and the image can be put directly onto negatives
that the printer can use.  The main thing is to check with the journal and
their printer beforehand to find out what the size requirements are.

On a related topic, I hope to see a growth in electronic submission;
re-typesetting my paper introduced 10 times as many mistakes as it caught!  If
everyone submitting manuals sent them in on disk, perhaps the journals that do
this will begin to see that they are still in the dark ages.

>Bill Sofer
>Waksman Institute
>Rutgers University
>Sofer@Biovax.rutgers.edu

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms@ncifcrf.gov

ccy@po.CWRU.Edu (Cheung C. Yue) (12/06/90)

In a previous article, Robert.H.Gross@MAC.DARTMOUTH.EDU () says:

>   Bill Sofer asks about submitting electronic images.
>   I have had success submitting images to NIH and NSF in grant proposals
>using digitized gel scans .....

    I have seen ads from Stratagene on a system to do such things.
I suspect they are using the Intel Visual Edge board for the HP
LaserJet which allows one to print 64 grey scale images on a Laser
printer.  Other companies have adopted the use of 64 grey scale
thermal printers from Mitsubishi.  I have yet to try any of these
solutions, but sample pictures from some of these outputs are
quite decent.

--
C. Cho Yue                                  ccy%po.cwru.edu@cunyvm.bitnet
Dept of Medicine                            ccy@po.cwru.edu

BACHNER%FRCITI51@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (02/15/91)

Maybe a solution would be to have your pictures encoded in POSTSCRIPT
language which is understood by several professinal printing devices?
Lucien BACHNER Paris