From: goldstein@nsf.gov
To: human-genome-program
Cc: nnsc@nnsc.nsf.net, David Kristofferson <kristoff>
Subject: Connecting your [U.S.] campus to the Internet
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 13:01:07 EST
Sender: sgoldste@cise.nsf.gov

Dear colleagues,

This is a follow-up to David Kristofferson's request that I post
information about connecting to the Internet.  What follows is
a relatively up-t-handbook and selectively updated, as noted below).
It deals only with the United States.

For general information and specific assistance, NSF supports the
NSF Network Service Center <nnsc@nnsc.nsf.net> (617)873-3400 to
answer your questions.

If you have questions about connecting outside the United States
(e.g., most of Western Europe, Canada, Mexico, some of South America,
Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Korea) I will try to refer you to the
appropriate organization, though I suggest you try the NNSC first; they
are very competent and resourceful.

Steve G.

+ ======================================================================== +
||  Steven N. Goldstein                                                   ||
||  Program Director, Interagency & International Networking Coordination ||
||  Div. of Networking and Communications Research & Infrastructure       ||
||  National Science Foundation                                           ||
||  1800 G Street, N.W., Room 416                                         ||
||  Washington, D.C. 20550                                                ||
||  Tel: +1-202-357-9717                                                  ||
||  FAX: +1-202-357-0320                                                  ||
||  goldstein@NSF.GOV (Internet); goldstei@NSF (BITNET)                   ||
+ ======================================================================== +

CONTACTS FOR NATIONAL-LEVEL NETWORKS IN THE INTERNET

ANS

Advanced Network and Services, Inc.
Joel Maloff, VP Client Services
100 Clearbrook Road
Elmsford, NY 10523
(914) 789-5300
maloff@nis.ans.net

CREN-CSnet

Charlotte Mooers, User Services Director
CSnet Coordination & Information Center (CIC)
10 Moulton Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617)873-2777
CIC@SH.CS.NET

PSInet

Performance Systems International, Inc.
William L. Schrader, President & CEO
Martin L. Schoffstal, Vice President
P.O. Box 3850
Reston, VA   22091
(703)620-6651
info@psi.com

UUNET/Alternet

Rick Adams, President
UUNET Technologies, Inc.
3110 Fairview Park Drive, Suite 570
Falls Church, VA 22042
Tel: (703)876-5050
rick@uunet.uu.net

CONTACTS FOR NSFNET MID-LEVEL NETWORKS*

	*[Scanned From "INTERNET Manager's Phonebook",
	NSF Network Service Center (NNSC)
	Cambridge, MA, 1990
    		---------------
	nnsc@nnsc.nsf.net
	(617)873-3400
	operated by Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc.
	10 Moulton Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
	N.B. >>partially<< updated February 15, 1991]

BARRNET

Paul Baer
(415) 723-7520
baer@jessica.stanford.edu

CERFNET

Susan Estrada
(619) 534-5067
estradas@sds.sdsc.edu

CICNET

John Hankins
(313) 998-6102
hankins@cic.net

CREN/CSNET
(see avove)

JVNCNET

Sergio Heker
(609) 248-2400
heker@ nisc jvnc.net

LOS NETTOS

Walt Prue
(213) 822-1511
FUe@venera.isi.edu

Ann Westine
(213) 822-1511
westine@venera.isi.edu

MERIT
(N.B., Merit is also the operator/manager of the NSFNET)

Merit_Computer_Network@um.cc.umich.edu

Eric Aupperle
(313) 764-9423
eaupperle@merit.edu