[bionet.general] RE codon usage data base

cgautier@BIOMAC.UNIV-LYON1.FR (02/18/91)

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 22:49:00 GMT
From: AJB@DLVH.DARESBURY.AC.UK
Subject: Codon usage database
To: Multiple recipients of <+BIONEWS@IRLEARN.BITNET>

I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of such a thing.
It'd make translation of orfs from nucleic acid database sequences much
easier.

Thanks in advance

Alan Bleasby
SERC Daresbury Laboratory
Daresbury
Warrington WA4 4AD
UK

Email: AJB@DLVH.DARESBURY.AC.UK

cgautier@BIOMAC.UNIV-LYON1.FR (02/18/91)

answer to codon usage database

It is relatively easy to construct codon usage
for a species from data bank as EMBL or GenBank.
Some software do that nearly automaticaly. However
this have a biological significance only for
species having an homegeneous codon usage
(well known case are E. coli (see work of IKEMURA)
Y. saccaromyces (the same author) D. melanogaster
(work of P. Sharp)). For many species like mammals
most viruses no "mean codon usage" exists and
several strategy exists inside the same genome.
This invalidate methods using an overall codon
usage for CDS detection (in my opinion at
least!)

C. Gautier Univ Lyon I
cgautier@biomol.univ-lyon1.fr