[bionet.general] Source of duplicate messages found

kristoff@GENBANK.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson) (04/27/91)

I have tracked down the problem to an address at Ohio State which is
subscribed through IRLEARN in Ireland instead of following our rules
and subscribing through GenBank in the Americas.  Because of this I
can not take direct action myself.  All parties have been notified and
I hope to have the problem resolved no later than Monday AM (in the
event that no one logs in over the weekend).  This illustrates **yet
again** (sigh) why all of you should dump e-mail as a news source as
soon as possible and get your systems manager to install a USENET news
system.  Mail will continue to be vulnerable to loops if people do not
know how to configure their systems correctly.  I can send information
about this to whoever is interested.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

toms@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Tom Schneider) (04/30/91)

In article <CMM.0.88.672769591.kristoff@genbank.bio.net> kristoff@GENBANK.BIO.NET
(Dave Kristofferson) writes:

>This illustrates **yet
>again** (sigh) why all of you should dump e-mail as a news source as
>soon as possible and get your systems manager to install a USENET news
>system.  Mail will continue to be vulnerable to loops if people do not
>know how to configure their systems correctly.  I can send information
>about this to whoever is interested.
>				Dave Kristofferson
>				GenBank Manager
>				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

These bionet groups are the only news groups that regularly have these
problems.  If there is no technical reason that prevents people from switching
to a pure usenet system, then how about making a reasonable deadline for the
switch?  After a certain date news would no longer be sent by mail, perhaps
with the exception of a few 'hardship' cases.  Because of these problems, we
all have to read a lot of junk all the time and it's wasting people's time,
especially yours Dave!  If you can't set a deadline because of a bionet charter
then change the charter.  If you set a deadline, everybody will suddenly be
interested... :-).

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms@ncifcrf.gov

Cherry@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (J. Michael Cherry) (05/02/91)

In article <2138@fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov> toms@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Tom
Schneider) writes:
> These bionet groups are the only news groups that regularly have these
> problems.  If there is no technical reason that prevents people from
> switching to a pure usenet system

The INFO-VMS list has also had lots of problems with duplicates. More
importantly I think the problems generally seem to be associated with
LISTSERVs. There are many Usenet/Mailing list pairs that do not have these
problems. Most of these pairs that seem to work use an Internet mailing
list and not a BITNET LISTSERV. The problem is not simply mailing lists.
As someone who ran a mailing list of 300 subscribers for a year and a half
I know they can work without problems. Thus I wish to stop any move to
eliminate mailing lists from BioSci. I know many people that would not
take the time to use Usenet and would thus not be a part of BioSci. I
should point out that I personally use Usenet and have been reading
newsgroups via Unix, VMS or Macintosh newsreaders for the past ten years.
I agree Usenet is the best method and that everyone should learn to use a
newsreader but teaching old dogs new tricks can be very frustrating.
Usenet swept computer science departments many years ago, it may take
several more years before biology departments convert - and I don't
think they should be forced.

Mike Cherry
cherry@frodo.mgh.harvard.edu
Department of Molecular Biology
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (05/02/91)

Mike,

	I am in general agreement with your position about not forcing
the move, but I do want to strongly encourage people to take action.
I'd also like to elaborate on your point about USENET having already
swept computer science departments.  This illustrates that many
biologists probably have a USENET source somewhere not too far away on
campus if they would just check with their computer science
departments.  They might also find that they can get help feeding the
newsgroups to their departmental computer.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net