[bionet.general] Help with rRNA data banks

SANDRO@if1.ufrgs.anrs.br (06/26/91)

Hi,
    I am needing a set of aligned (by secundary structure)
sequences of small, large and 5S rRNA genes for a phylogenetic
study. I am aware of the existence of compilations and data
banks of such sequences, but I would like to get them by Email.
     Can anyone help me with electronic addresses or other
information ?

         Thanks in advance,

Sandro L. Bonatto
Departamento de Genetica
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
Porto Alegre, RS, BRASIL
Bitnet: SANDRO@IF1.UFRGS.ANRS.BR

cb@INTRON.LANL.GOV (Christian Burks) (06/27/91)

Your query about databases might be answered by browsing through
the LiMB database, which is a directory of molecular biology and
related databases.

You can acquire a copy of LiMB by send an e-mail message to
"bioserve@genome.lanl.gov" that contains the single word, "limb-data",
in the message text.

 - LiMB Database Manager

   LiMB Database
   T-10, MS K710
   Los Alamos National Laboratory
   Los Alamos, NM  87545

   e-mail: limb@genome.lanl.gov
   fax: 505-665-3493

harper@nic.funet.fi (Robert Harper) (06/27/91)

SANDRO@if1.ufrgs.anrs.br writes:

>Hi,
>    I am needing a set of aligned (by secundary structure)
>sequences of small, large and 5S rRNA genes for a phylogenetic
>study. I am aware of the existence of compilations and data
>banks of such sequences, but I would like to get them by Email.
>     Can anyone help me with electronic addresses or other
>information ?

As one of my first attempts at running WAIS I chose the LIMB database
as a suitable candidate as a SOURCE. It is on nic.funet.fi as limb.src
If I do a search with WAIS for ( 5S rRNA con.net ) it delivers three hits
BRD, SRRSD and SRSRSC. The first one does not have a con.net
The second one you can try fox@uhrcc2.bitnet or fox@uhrcc2.crcc.uh.edu
and for the third one  DEWACHTER@CCV.UIA.AC.BE

The address for BRD is as follows:

con.nam     Thomas Specht
con.add     Institut fur Biochemie-FB Chemie
            Otto-Hahn-Bau Thielallee 63
            D-1000 Berlin 33
            WEST GERMANY
con.tel     [011-49] 30-838-6404

Rob "WAIS" Harper

usercu11@mts.ucs.ualberta.ca (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.131046.3683@nic.funet.fi> harper@nic.funet.fi (Robert
Harper) writes:
>As one of my first attempts at running WAIS I chose the LIMB database
>as a suitable candidate as a SOURCE. It is on nic.funet.fi as limb.src
>If I do a search with WAIS for ( 5S rRNA con.net ) it delivers three hits
>BRD, SRRSD and SRSRSC. The first one does not have a con.net
>The second one you can try fox@uhrcc2.bitnet or fox@uhrcc2.crcc.uh.edu
>and for the third one  DEWACHTER@CCV.UIA.AC.BE
>
>Rob "WAIS" Harper

I'm sorry, but could you explain that!
Are you using WAIS to search LIMB on a foreign machine or did
you bring LIMB over to yours?
And what's a  "con.net"?

Anyone else also had a problem un-binhexing WAIS and the demo?
I got an error in both (twice).
Maybe I'll try the Houston server.

 Chris "hexed" Upton (apologies to Rob)