[bionet.software.pc] TERMINAL EMULATOR FOR THE MACINTOSH

IGA.LAMBDA@BIONET-20.ARPA (05/20/88)

From: Doug Brutlag <brutlag@IC2060>

	I have just tried out a new terminal emultor for the MacIntosh
which I liked very much.  Here is a message sent on INFO-MAC about it.

24-Jan-85 21:49:43-PST,2899;000000000001
Date: Thu 24 Jan 85 21:49:43-PST
From: Doug Brutlag <brutlag@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: VERSATERM VT100 EMULATOR/FILE TRANSFERS
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc: smug@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

	Three weeks ago I ordered a copy of Versaterm version 1.1 in
response to a favorable review on INFO-MAC.  I received it 4 days after
ordering it and must have gotten one of the first copies of this version
(serial number 504).  I found two bugs while using it here at SUMEX, one
concerned display emulation of the VT100 and the other concerned file
transfers hanging on noisy phone lines.  I called the company
(Peripherals, Computers and Supplies) on a Saturday and they answered!
The programmer responsible for Versaterm, Lonnie Abelbeck, called me
within minutes.  By Saturday evening he had corrected the problems (they
did not affect VT100 emulation on VAX systems, only TOPS-20) and
actually downloaded a new version of the program over the phone lines to
my Mac!  Talk about service.  In addition, I had a discussion with him
about the importance of a vanilla MODEM in addition to MACGET and MACPUT
protocols.  A week later he downloaded version 1.3 of Versaterm to me
with this improvement and several others.

	I am very impressed, not only with this concern for customer
satisfaction but with the quality of the product.  Versaterm is 1/2 the
size of MacTerminal (only 54 K) and responds much faster.  It does a
near perfect emulation of a VT100 and it also contains the ability to
use the MOUSE in EMACS or VI as a pointing device while editing.  It
also has support for the VT100 numeric keypad.  It has FOUR methods of
file transfer including direct stream recording or sending of files,
XMODEM for both text and binary file transfer, MacMODEM protocol
(compatible with MACGET and MACPUT and other Macintoshes) and of course
the ability to cut and paste to and from the terminal screen.  It
remembers about 5 screen-fulls which can be scrolled.  I have used XMODEM
up to 9600 baud to transfer files to and from an IBM PC and the other
protocols over phone lines to VAX's, 20's etc.  The program stores up to
eight different phone numbers, login/password commands, and terminal
setting specifications all in a single terminal settings file.  One can
map the backspace to a delete key in the terminal settings.  The program
also emulates a Tektronics 4014 and a Datageneral D200 terminals but I
have not tried these modes.  Because of its flexibility of file transfer
and display emulation I use it exclusively now for communications and
have thrown away my MacTerminal and MacKermit disks.

	The program is available by phone or writing to

Peripherals, Computers and Supplies, Inc.
2232 Perkiomen Avenue
Mt. Penn, PA 19606
(215)  779-0522

	I have no connection with this firm other than being an
unsuspecting beta-test site.

Doug Brutlag

-------
-------