[bionet.software.pc] Drawing on the Macintosh

MAULIK@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (Sunil Maulik) (08/22/88)

Mats,

one useful free program is PlasmidDraw by Wolfram Siede.
This will be available soon on BIONET, and is also available directly
from the author at :

Wolfram Siede,
320 E. O'Keefe #2,
East Palo Alto, CA., 94303
(415) 322-0204
(415) 723-7561

The program is quite useful, and  the price is right.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Sunil Maulik
Senior Scientific Consultant
BIONET
(415)-962-7342
Internet:Maulik@bionet-20.bio.net
-------

doelz%urz.unibas.ch@RELAY.CS.NET (Reinhard Doelz) (08/23/88)

... Drawing Plasmids on the Mac, reply to Mats:

I recommend to use an obect- oriented drawing program like MacDraw or
Cricket Draw. Some of us regularly try to use SuperPaint because
it is supported by the local computer center at the university. In
object mode, that's fine as well.

A possibility I am using if I want to produce nice graphics is that
one may write the GCG package's output into a Draw compatible file
if you use Versaterm Pro as a terminal emulator. (I'm lucky enough to
have a 5 megs color Mac II and you even get the color across). It is important
to select a sufficient enlargement factor in Versaterm in order not to
loose graphics quality in the Tek4105 rasterizer. A real shame is that you
have to be patient in reprocessing the files, because *any* small object
(even letters) are split up into numerous objects. But it works, e.g. if
you want to show an entire plasmidmap enlagred, you may easily combine
graphics, recombine them, modify them etc.
Unfortunally, the "normal" SE takes ages (if it's capable at all) processing
the Versaterm graphics. Therefore, I cannot recommend this method for other
than the Mac II.

One problem is that I don't have a program
for retranslating postscript into a processable Macintosh file. It were
really easy to create some kind of template in Postscript!

Reinhard

P.S.:
SuperPaint, CricketDraw, MacDraw and VersatermPro are commercial programs.

  *   Dr. Reinhard Doelz           *           SWITZERLAND               *
  *     Biocomputing               *                                     *
  *      Biozentrum                * doelz%urz.unibas.ch@relay.cs.net    *
  * Klingelbergstrasse 70          *                                     *
  *     CH-4056 Basel              *                                     *

sys_ms@bmc1.bmc.uu.se (08/24/88)

In article <48*doelz@urz.unibas.ch>, doelz%urz.unibas.ch@RELAY.CS.NET (Reinhard Doelz) writes:
> .... Drawing Plasmids on the Mac, reply to Mats:
>
> I recommend to use an obect- oriented drawing program like MacDraw or
> Cricket Draw. Some of us regularly try to use SuperPaint because
> it is supported by the local computer center at the university. In
> object mode, that's fine as well.

We have tried all of these program and find them very difficult to use,
especially for drawing circular maps. If you want to mark regions (ie.
Amp r gene) with a different line width you have to do it in a very
unintutive way because you can not draw just a part of a circel.

> A possibility I am using if I want to produce nice graphics is that
> one may write the GCG package's output into a Draw compatible file
> if you use Versaterm Pro as a terminal emulator. (I'm lucky enough to
> have a 5 megs color Mac II and you even get the color across). It is important
> to select a sufficient enlargement factor in Versaterm in order not to
> loose graphics quality in the Tek4105 rasterizer. A real shame is that you

We use GCG but I have not tried this way.

> have to be patient in reprocessing the files, because *any* small object
> (even letters) are split up into numerous objects. But it works, e.g. if
> you want to show an entire plasmidmap enlagred, you may easily combine
> graphics, recombine them, modify them etc.
> Unfortunally, the "normal" SE takes ages (if it's capable at all) processing
> the Versaterm graphics. Therefore, I cannot recommend this method for other
> than the Mac II.
>
> One problem is that I don't have a program
> for retranslating postscript into a processable Macintosh file. It were
> really easy to create some kind of template in Postscript!

Yes, if there is a program that can import a Postscript file and then
continue with the editing on the Mac. This would be nice. Can you do
this with Illustrator or some other program?

> Reinhard
>
> P.S.:
> SuperPaint, CricketDraw, MacDraw and VersatermPro are commercial programs.

	Mats Sundvall				+46/18174583
	Biomedical Center			mats@bmc1.BMC.UU.SE
	University of Uppsala, Sweden		psi%24020010020620::MATS

sys_ms@bmc1.bmc.uu.se (08/24/88)

In article <12424498434.30.MAULIK@BIONET-20.ARPA>, MAULIK@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (Sunil Maulik) writes:
> one useful free program is PlasmidDraw by Wolfram Siede.
> This will be available soon on BIONET, and is also available directly
> from the author at :

Is this program available on the net?