[bionet.jobs] Companion Wanted - Berkeley, CA

thesun@garnet.berkeley.edu (Guest) (04/25/91)

We currently have available a position for a female college
student to serve as intimate companion and confidant to a 40 year old
single white male living in Berkeley.  To apply for this position you
must be a full time undergraduate student at any college.  Students at
UCB or CCAC are preferred but consideration will be given to
applications from students from any institution of higher learning.
This is a live-in position that will require relocation to Berkeley.
    Compensation for this position includes:
       Tuition Assistance
       Free Room and Board
       Living Allowance
       Plus Numerous Other Fringe Benefits
     This is not a sex for money exchange.  A high degree of
compatibility is required.  Applicants will be required to undergo an
extensive interview process including psychological testing.
     This is a marvelous opportunity that comes highly recommended by
the individuals who have held the position in the past.  You are
offered a mutually supportive relationship with an individual who
genuinely cares about your success and needs.
     If you are interested in this position please apply in writing to
the following address:
       AMP
       Personnel Department
       2140 Shattuck Avenue - Suite 2009
       Berkeley, CA 94704
     All applications are held in the strictest confidence.
     PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND VIA E-MAIL.

ilan@leland.Stanford.EDU (ilan vardi) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr25.051508.11763@agate.berkeley.edu> thesun@garnet.berkeley.edu (Guest) writes:
>We currently have available a position for a female college
>student to serve as intimate companion and confidant to a 40 year old
>single white male living in Berkeley.  To apply for this position you

>     This is not a sex for money exchange.  A high degree of
>compatibility is required.  Applicants will be required to undergo an
>extensive interview process including psychological testing.

>       AMP
>       Personnel Department
>       2140 Shattuck Avenue - Suite 2009
>       Berkeley, CA 94704

If this has nothing to do with sex, why is a female required for this
job? Perhaps the AMP personnel department can explain how having a
penis would impair one's ability to do this job.

Furthermore, doesn't requiring the applicant to be female violate some
law?  Also, is there a standard on su.jobs about not posting sexist
job announcements?

fangchin@elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr27.205738.2521@leland.Stanford.EDU> ilan@leland.Stanford.EDU (ilan vardi) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.051508.11763@agate.berkeley.edu> thesun@garnet.berkeley.edu (Guest) writes:
>>We currently have available a position for a female college
>>student to serve as intimate companion and confidant to a 40 year old
                      ^^^^^^^^(1)

Q 1: how intimate?  to what degree?  in what sense?

>>single white male living in Berkeley.  To apply for this position you
>
>>     This is not a sex for money exchange.  A high degree of
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^(2)
Q 2: but many people would infer this is just a cover up.  How do
     you prove it?  Any past references?

>>compatibility is required.  Applicants will be required to undergo an
>>extensive interview process including psychological testing.
>
>>       AMP
>>       Personnel Department
>>       2140 Shattuck Avenue - Suite 2009
>>       Berkeley, CA 94704
>
>If this has nothing to do with sex, why is a female required for this
>job? Perhaps the AMP personnel department can explain how having a
>penis would impair one's ability to do this job.

Do you think we need to report this message to Stanford Police Department?

>Furthermore, doesn't requiring the applicant to be female violate some
>law?  Also, is there a standard on su.jobs about not posting sexist
>job announcements?

I hope this is a joke.  But then our news postmaster should be made aware of
this.

pst@Stanford.EDU (Paul Traina) (04/30/91)

Your news postmaster is aware of it.

This is not an official position of Stanford University,  but rather
my opinion... ignore it.  It's too stupid to waste time with it.

[Official Position Mode On]

There will always be objectional messages posted to the USENET news
system.  Stanford University has no way of controlling the contents of
these messages and is not responsible for their generation or
propagation.  After the fact,  we can destroy messages on demand.
Unless a message specifically violates a University policy or
guideline,  I will be extremely reluctant to remove it--as a policy,
I do not censor.

Messages that are so objectional that an agent of the University (me)
must take an official stand will be handled on a case by case basis.
Under these circumstances,  I may chose to involve my superiors or
other appropriate representatives of the University to cover my own
posterior.

[Official Position Mode Off]

We're all supposed to be reasonably mature individuals.  Part of
maturity is knowing what battles are worth fighting,  and which are
best ignored.  I think that the best way to keep things sane is to
ignore messages that you may consider brain damaged.
--
KC6TCN nee WD6BDK	A well mannered man never insults anyone on purpose.
			A gentleman never insults anyone by accident.

rescorla@rtnmr.chem.yale.edu (Eric Rescorla) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr27.230318.13539@leland.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
>In article <1991Apr27.205738.2521@leland.Stanford.EDU> ilan@leland.Stanford.EDU (ilan vardi) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr25.051508.11763@agate.berkeley.edu> thesun@garnet.berkeley.edu (Guest) writes:
>Q 1: how intimate?  to what degree?  in what sense?
To be honest, who cares?

>Do you think we need to report this message to Stanford Police Department?
What an asshole. We really don't need people like you turning the net into
thought police, like the regular media.
Hell no!

>>law?  Also, is there a standard on su.jobs about not posting sexist
>>job announcements?
Once again, who gives a shit. You don't like it, don't apply.

>I hope this is a joke.  But then our news postmaster should be made aware of
>this.
Gimme a break, huh?
Why do you feel you have to be net.censor.
-Ekr

Eric Rescorla                                      rescorla@rtnmr.chem.yale.edu
Yale University Department of Chemistry             rescorla@psun.chem.yale.edu
"No his mind is not for rent--to any God or government." Peart/Dubois

shedevil@leland.Stanford.EDU (Annie) (04/30/91)

Please realize that some of the posts on here are coming only from
su.jobs, which is an internal Stanford University-only newsgroup that
the person who posted this 'request' had access to.

The post that EK flamed was such a post.  As a University community, we
in fact *do* have a right to set the standards for a newsgroup whose
charter is for *legitimate* AND *EEOC* complying jobs.

On the other hand, Stanford posters should realize that when they
blithely 'F' or 'f', their post is going out to all the national
newsgroups who were cc:'ed, and perhaps you should limit your post to
the newgroup su.jobs alone.

--
 mother - law student - antifeminist - suny@b class of 89 - fathers' rightist
   Anne (She Devil) Mitchell - Stanford Law - shedevil@leland.stanford.edu

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (05/01/91)

As I privately told the original poster of this message a week or so
back, bionet.jobs is an international newsgroup for job postings in
the biological sciences.  The issue of censorship is completely moot.
The posting did not conform to the subject matter of this newsgroup,
and by common network agreement should not have been posted to this
forum.

drw@nevanlinna.mit.edu (Dale R. Worley) (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr30.151720.26702@leland.Stanford.EDU> shedevil@leland.Stanford.EDU (Annie) writes:
   The post that EK flamed was such a post.  As a University community, we
   in fact *do* have a right to set the standards for a newsgroup whose
   charter is for *legitimate* AND *EEOC* complying jobs.

Please remember that the job posting is most likely conforming to all
the Civil Rights legislation -- "domestic employee" jobs are generally
exempt from all nondiscrimination statues.  (At least the Federal
ones.  Does anybody know about the CA ones?)  Also, really small
employers (5? 10? employees) are often exempt.

Dale

zats@leland.Stanford.EDU (yuri zats) (05/16/91)

  One week ago a new cafe was open on University Ave in Palo Alto.
  The owner is looking for people who would agree to come and
  perform there on Fri, Sat, or any other date. Pay is negotiable.
  Any kind of music is considered. The cafe will sit 75 + people.
  If interested, reply to my personal e-mail address.

--