[bionet.molbio.genbank] Comments on genbank distribution via Usenet

Mats.Sundvall@bio.embnet.se (Mats Sundvall) (03/16/90)

OK, the updates are great. But I propose you add an extra header to that
will contain a sequence number on your postings. This header can then
be used by some software to ensure that you have recieved all postings
and have a complete database.

As I write this it occurs to me that the subject line could contain~
this info in a standardized format. Then if our site miss a posting
we could request it from genbank with the NNTP SENDME protocol.

This could be done automatically. A program checks for missing postings.
If a posting is missing after some  amount of time (maybe some days) the
program connects to genbank and request retransmission.

	Mats Sundvall
	BMC
	Uppsala University
	Sweden

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (03/16/90)

Mats.Sundvall@bio.embnet.se (Mats Sundvall) writes:
> OK, the updates are great. But I propose you add an extra header to that
> will contain a sequence number on your postings [...] Then if our site
> miss a posting we could request it from genbank with the NNTP SENDME
> protocol.

	We've been discussing doing something like that (actually it was
Ross's idea, to give credit where due), but we're not quite sure what's the
best way to approach the problem.  Just putting a sequence number on each
posting will let people know they missed a posting, but won't directly let
them get it using NNTP/SENDME since you need a message-id for that.  But
that's a detail; some other form of retrieval could be worked out that only
requires sequence numbers, I suppose.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

kristoff@genbank.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (03/16/90)

Mats,

	We'll consider implementing your suggestion.  The software is
actually being written by Ross Smith and Roy Smith in New York in
colloboration with GenBank.  In terms of retrieving missing entries,
however, the checks would have to be run pretty regularly (read every
day or two) since we do not plan to keep a GenBank USENET archive
on-line for a lengthy period of time in addition to our FTP archives
*and* our on-line databases.  After a while all of these different
forms of distribution will just start consuming too much disk space.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank On-line Service Manager