[bionet.molbio.genbank] Database software

ODONNELL@arcb.afrc.ac.uk (08/04/90)

A faint echo of Dan Davisons remarks here. I understood what he
meant first time, and I sympathise.

New NAQ?
--------
How about some super-duper s/w to allow VAXes to cope with the vast increase
in Dbase size? NAQ is getting old, and is very slow in coping.

Dbases in bits
--------------
I know I am supposed to use Genbank and EMBL divided up into chunks, but
that means the average user has to do the same search several times on
several different bits of the dbase. And I just KNOW someone (the average
biologist user) will moan at me that the PRIMATE data is not in the
VERTEBRATE data - and why not?

Fast indexing
-------------
Yes - I would like something like the OWL database - Index files larger
than the database itself. But I don't have the disk space, and I'm
asking for more disk space than Administration has (what!!!!! you CAN'T
need that much!)

Shopping list
-------------
I would like a means of processing my own original dbases to work in conjunction
with some new s/w ie:Faster indices. An NAQ with the ACCESSION number feature
in instead of having to create something for PSQ.

You're doing a good job
-----------------------
And how many of you out there are tinkering with the old PIR programs with
each release of Genbank and EMBL, everytime the format changes. Be brave -
we are the unsung heros! Anyone else suffer EMBL23's entry XLRN01
which  had > 25 lines before the DE line?

This is where the computer-literate biologists end up: computing support!

I am not complaining - I enjoy the challenge, but I can think of other
things to do.

Cary O'Donnell			Tel: (+44) 582 762271 ext 226
AFRC Computing Centre		Fax: (+44) 582 761710
West Common			email: ODONNELL@UK.AC.AFRC.ARCB
Harpenden			(Molecular biology support at AFRCCC)
Herts AL5 2JE
U.K.    			(AFRC = Agricultural & Food Research Council)

Disclaimer: You can please some of the people all of the time .....

JRAMON@ccuam1.uam.es (08/07/90)

Something more...

        I would also like to know of your needs. My programs only take care of
the sequence, hence I've not thought too much about other accesses. Any
suggestions?

        Oh! Isn't it nice to go back to the metaliguistics of the list? It is
all fine to discuss about witches and other theories about database formats,
but... Why not better touch a positive solution? I mean, you change the format,
and tell this is better. No doubt! But, why?

        I suppose you had something in mind before doing this. Why not share it
so that we can design our sw not only for our punctual specific purpose but
also in such a way that it could be useful for other guys. Enginnering a sw
project is more easy if you know in advance all the reasons for changes, all
the needs expected and the uses it is intended for.

        My apologies for the english, I've just re-read this and sounds
horrible. (Just some more meta-linguistics).

        J. R. Valverde
        Instituto Investigaciones Biomedicas, CSIC
        &
        Dpt. Bioquimica, Facultad de Medicina, UAM

        (Both in Madrid. Spain, of course).
Disclaimer: Que bonitos ojos tienes,
            debajo de esas dos cejas.
        (not in point, but sound well, and I also like silly senetences)

kristoff@genbank.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (08/08/90)

> Why not share it
> so that we can design our sw not only for our punctual specific purpose but
> also in such a way that it could be useful for other guys. Enginnering a sw
> project is more easy if you know in advance all the reasons for changes, all
> the needs expected and the uses it is intended for.

As Dave Benton mentioned in an earlier message, GenBank, EMBL, and
DDBJ have been circulating this info for some time.  There was nothing
secret about this process.  I would recommend that anyone who develops
software that utilizes any of the sequence databanks become a regular
reader of the various release notes and also get on any databank
mailing lists that are available.  The databanks can not hope to reach
everyone personally with an interest in these matters, but, if one
wishes to do things "by the book" and avoid wasting time, a certain
amount of effort to stay informed must also be made on the part of the
software developer.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank On-line Service Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

davison@UHNIX2.UH.EDU (Dan Davison) (08/09/90)

> As Dave Benton mentioned in an earlier message, GenBank, EMBL, and
> DDBJ have been circulating this info for some time.  There was nothing
> secret about this process.

Even Dave K. misses my point. Sigh.

SO WHAT?

What I keep trying to emphasize is responsibility to the community
that has come to depend on software.  All concerned in this venture
did not think about the consequences on users NOW.

dan
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU
myself.