[bionet.molbio.genbank] general help

horus@wystan.bsd.uchicago.edu (10/10/90)

Could someone please EMAIL to me (or post here) the correct procedures for

	1. submitting files containing sequences in order to get
	an accession number prior to publication.

	2. submitting files containing sequences which can be
	searched against the updated databases for homology etc.

Thanks.

kristoff@GENBANK.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson) (10/12/90)

> Could someone please EMAIL to me (or post here) the correct procedures for
>
> 	1. submitting files containing sequences in order to get
> 	an accession number prior to publication.

The preferred way is to get a copy of the AuthorIn program from us and
use it to prepare your submission.  A free copy is available for IBM
PC's and one will be out in a short time for the Mac.  To obtain a
copy, please send your regular mailing address to

		      authorin@genbank.bio.net.

If you are in a real hurry, you can get a copy of an electronic
submission form which can be filled in with a text editor and returned
by e-mail (instructions and return address are on the form).  AuthorIn
helps error check the submission and prepares it in a fashion for
rapid inclusion in the GenBank RDBMS, while the submission form is
just that, a form which you fill out yourself.  To get a copy of the
form, send a mail message to retrieve@genbank.bio.net.  Leave the
Subject: blank and include the word DATASUB in the body of the mail
message.

> 	2. submitting files containing sequences which can be
> 	searched against the updated databases for homology etc.

I'll send these along in a follow-up message (not cc'ed to the
newsgroup).  For others who want to obtain these instructions, send a
mail message with no Subject and the single word HELP to
search@genbank.bio.net.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager