[bionet.molbio.genbank] accession no. won't return sequence

jjw@rsbs0.anu.oz@ (10/12/90)

Dear Netlanders,
	I've got a problem. (No flames please!) I am trying to obtain a
sequence, the accession number of which is given in a recent paper (PNAS
vol 87, pp5397-5401, by Feiler and Jacobs). The paper states that the
sequence had been deposited in the GenBank data base and an accesion number
was given, X53035.  I have tried with no success to obtain the sequence from
<retrieve@genbank.bio.net> and from the EMBL server ( I don't have the address
at hand but it's worked for me countless times before).  Both servers give
me back the message that this particular data file can not be found.  I've
tried to check the veracity of the accesion number by checking the EMBL
newauthor index; again no joy.  Can anybody out there help me?  I would realy
like to get hold of this sequence and the inability to get it from the
servers using a published accession number is realy bugging me.
	Many thanks in advance.

Jeremy Weinman		Plant Microbe Interaction group
			Research School of Biological Sciences
			Australian National University

	Email:		jjw@rsbs0.anu.oz
	Phone:		61 6 2495051
	Fax:		61 6 2490754
	Snail:		PO Box 475, Canberra, ACT 2601, AUSTRALIA

elliston@av8tr.UUCP (Keith Elliston) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct12.164624.1@rsbs0.anu.oz>, jjw@rsbs0.anu.oz@ writes:
> 	I've got a problem. (No flames please!) I am trying to obtain a
> sequence, the accession number of which is given in a recent paper (PNAS
> vol 87, pp5397-5401, by Feiler and Jacobs). The paper states that the
> sequence had been deposited in the GenBank data base and an accesion number
> was given, X53035.  I have tried with no success to obtain the sequence from
> <retrieve@genbank.bio.net> and from the EMBL server ( I don't have the address

I have seen this at least once myself lately.  The sequence of the D3 receptor
was published in Science a few weeks ago, with an accession number.  I tried
to get the sequence from the Genbank server, Genbank online, and from the EMBL
server.  I kept trying, and after about a week it finally showed up at EMBL.

I also have noticed that at least Genbank has been known to give out accession
numbers without actually having the sequence in hand.  Perhaps it is time to
standardize things, such that when an accession number is finally granted, the
data will be available for accession.  This might impede the publication of
a paper that needs the accession number before publication, but would stop
all this frustrating business of trying to track down the data.

just my $0.02

Keith

uunet!av8tr!elliston
Keith O. Elliston       |    .signature really under construction....
uunet!av8tr!elliston    |

kristoff@GENBANK.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson) (10/13/90)

Dear Jeremy,

I can appreicate your frustration, but let me assure you that, even
though the author has an accession number, this does not mean that
they released the sequence to the public.  Even though they may submit
data prior to publication, authors often request that data be withheld
until the article appears in print (sometimes in a completely
different journal than the one that they report to us!).  This puts an
additional delay into the works because the database staff must still
scan the literature, determine that the article has actually appeared
and then retrieve and release the data.  While we still save on having
to annotate the sequence from scratch, a significant amount of time
may still go by from the time that data is first sent to GenBank until
it appears in the database.

Unfortunately this happens with sufficient frequency that we can not
handle these kinds of requests routinely without impeding progress on
producing the next release of the database.  If the paper is out in
print there is a very decent chance that it will make it's way into
the database in the next few weeks.  It is possible that the data may
appear at any point, so I would encourage you to try again
periodically.  If you don't find anything within a month to six weeks,
please send us the reference again, but I doubt that you will have to
wait that long.

In summary, getting an accession number in advance does help get the
data into the database more rapidly, but requesting confidentiality
introduces another delay.  Perhaps we would be happier all around if
everyone were willing to release their own data as quickly as they
request to see results from others.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

jjw@rsbs0.anu.oz@ (10/13/90)

<From: Dave Kristofferson <kristoff@genbank.bio.net>
<.
<To: genbank-bb@genbank.bio.net, jjw@rsbs0.anu.oz.au
<.
<I can appreicate your frustration, but let me assure you that, even
<though the author has an accession number, this does not mean that
<they released the sequence to the public.  Even though they may submit
<.
<to annotate the sequence from scratch, a significant amount of time
<may still go by from the time that data is first sent to GenBank until
<it appears in the database.
<.
<the database in the next few weeks.  It is possible that the data may
<appear at any point, so I would encourage you to try again
<periodically.  If you don't find anything within a month to six weeks,
<please send us the reference again, but I doubt that you will have to
<wait that long.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the situation now. Only one comment, though:
The PNAS paper the accession number appeared in was July 1990.  It's now
mid-October.  If that's the usual sort of wait, then I guess I'll just have
to chant a few mantras and wait it out, but two and a half months seems
a bit longer than the few weeks <Elliston@av8tr.UUCP> mentioned for the
appearance of the D3 receptor sequence from an accession no. published
in Science.  Anyhow, I'll just keep sending to the servers and hope that
sooner rather than later something bounces back.
		Thanks again for the info,
			Cheers

rak@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Bodo Rak) (10/14/90)

jjw@rsbs0.anu.oz@ writes:

>I've got a problem. (No flames please!) I am trying to obtain a
>sequence, the accession number of which is given in a recent paper (PNAS
>vol 87, pp5397-5401, by Feiler and Jacobs). The paper states that the
>sequence had been deposited in the GenBank data base and an accesion number
>was given, X53035.  I have tried with no success to obtain the sequence from
><retrieve@genbank.bio.net> and from the EMBL server

                                - deleted -

>newauthor index; again no joy.  Can anybody out there help me?  I would realy
>like to get hold of this sequence and the inability to get it from the
>servers using a published accession number is realy bugging me.

A few days ago I had the same problem with two sequences that had been
published in September and July, respectively and found a fast and efficient
solution: I sent a short note to DATALIB@EMBL.BITNET, in which I explained
my problem. A few hours later both sequences were available from the EMBL
file server.

I could imagine that we all could support the people at EMBL and GENBANK
who must be trying hard to find out which of the submitted sequences have
indeed  finally made it to a publication by giving them this kind of feedback.

Regards, Bodo Rak

Dept. of Genetics
University
D-7800 Freiburg - FRG
RAK@RUF.UNI-FREIBURG.DBP.DE

pgil%histone@LANL.GOV (Paul Gilna) (10/15/90)

Frequently, an author will request that the sequence be held
confidential until publication. This means that although we have the
sequence in hand we cannot release the data until we "spot" the
appeareance of these data in a journal, at which point we are free to
release them. With every submission of this ilk, we strongly encourage
authors to inform us of the impending date of publication so that we
can have the data out in time, but few respond in this manner.

To someone who spots an accession number that cannot be retrieved, I
would request that you do us all a service and inform GenBank directly
(mail to genbank%life@lanl.gov); we can get the annotated data out and
on the servers within 24 hours as soon as we know that the data have
been published.

There is no doubt in my mind that the necessity of holding onto data
seriously hampers our ability to have those data on-line, at the time
of publication. We in fact have pondered a great deal over just this
topic and are working on a number of solutions that hopefully should
lead the way in the whole issue of timely release of data. In the
interim (and indeed beyond) I would reiterate my request to the
community to help us out.

Paul Gilna
GenBank, Los Alamos.

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (10/16/90)

Jeremy Weinman writes:

> Thanks for the reply. I understand the situation now. Only one comment, though:
> The PNAS paper the accession number appeared in was July 1990.  It's now
> mid-October.  If that's the usual sort of wait, then I guess I'll just have
> to chant a few mantras and wait it out.

This delay is definitely outside of our target window, so thank you
for notifying us.

Paul Gilna at GenBank LANL also replies:

> To someone who spots an accession number that cannot be retrieved, I
> would request that you do us all a service and inform GenBank directly
> (mail to genbank%life@lanl.gov); we can get the annotated data out and
> on the servers within 24 hours as soon as we know that the data have
> been published.

My thanks to Paul for stating LANL's policy here.  I just talked to
him on the phone however, and Paul emphasized that the above applies
to annotated data waiting in the release queue until appearance of the
publication.  For those who might want to get a jump on the gun,
please be aware that GenBank cannot hunt down and release data in
advance to people who request the sequence of some particular gene
that they may know is in press.  The above policy applies only to data
that we can verify is published, so everyone will benefit to the
maximum if requests for the release of data that are not available on
the servers follow these guidelines.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson