[bionet.molbio.genbank] Turn around time for FASTA search at Genbank.

harper@csc.fi (Rob Harper (Supercomputer Centre Finland)) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct4.130708.1@csc.fi>, harper@csc.fi (Rob Harper (Supercomputer Centre Finland)) writes:

> the Genbank
> results usually arrive the next day... I have never had to wait days for a
> reply.

   Recently I had a TALK session with Dave Kristofferson over  Internet,
   and the response time was so good that we decided to  test the FAMAIL
   service from Genbank on a "good day". Yesterday morning I did a test
   run. Here are  the results...  The search was initiated at 11:13 local
   Finnish  time. Three minutes later I sent Dave this mail message at
   11:16

>     #133        16-OCT-1990 11:16:34.19 !!!!! TIME
> From:   OPMVAX::HARPER       "Robert Harper (CSC) Finland"
> To:     IN%"Kristoff@genbank.net.bio"
> CC:     HARPER
> Subj:   Checking turn around time for FASTA with PSMNODC.BA
>
> FAMAIL set from FINFUN at 11:13 to the Genbank server.
> This mail sent directly after it.
> -=ROB=-

   Surprise... surprise the results of the search came in at 11:24  which
   gives a turn around time of 11 minutes from California to  Finland. The
   local California time was 02:14 so it would seem  that if you choose
   your time to do searches then the results  are delivered quickly.

>     #135        16-OCT-1990 11:24:04.00  !!!!! TIME
> From:   IN%"daemon@genbank.bio.net"
> To:     harper@CSC.FI
> CC:
> Subj:   Result of FASTA Run