[bionet.molbio.genbank] finding chromosome markers

wrp@cyclops.micr.Virginia.EDU (Bill Pearson) (10/24/90)

	A colleague has asked me to identify all of the sequences in Genbank
that map to mouse chromosome Y.  How would one do this?

Bill Pearson

pgil%histone@LANL.GOV (Paul Gilna) (10/25/90)

We have been working with the mouse mapping database community at Bar
Harbour to incorporate their mapping data in a similar manner to the
way we handle data from HGML (now gdb); as yet we have not finalised
this work, but hope to soon. In the meantime, if the author provides us
with chromosomal map data, either in a submission or the published
article, we will incorporate them, usually in the COMMENT or the ORIGIN
fields.

This cannot be taken as comprehensive coverage, however, as we are
reliant on the author to provide that information.

Paul Gilna
GenBank, Los Alamos

dadler@milton.u.washington.edu (David Adler) (10/25/90)

Bill Pearson writes:
>A colleague has asked me to identify all of the sequences in Genbank
>that map to mouse chromosome Y.  How would one do this?

You could access GBASE at the Jackson Labs to find out all genes mapped to
the Y chromosome and then cross check each one either using IRX software
at Genbank or Strings search with GCG package.  This manual search is
feasible since there aren't many genes assigned to the mouse or human
Y chromosome as yet.  Not including the pseudoautosomal region I think
the gene count is about 12, Bkm, Hy, Spy, Tdy (now cloned as Sry), Zfy1 and Zfy2,
Mov-24, Xmmv-Y, Yaa, Yb10.  I think only Bkm, Zfys, and Sry have been
sequenced. (BTW Sry very recent). There are several more on human Y.
This is my quick check and should be checked for completeness.