[bionet.molbio.genbank] Genbank Search from networked Macs

Don.Gilbert@IUBio.Bio.Indiana.Edu (Don Gilbert) (10/31/90)

The GenBank Search is a Macintosh Hypercard stack for interacting with the
computer services of GenBank, the molecular biology databank. The GenBank
computer provides two generally useful services for molecular biology by
electronic mail:

* Searching of the current GenBank databank for similarities with a query
nucleic acid or protien sequence of yours, and

* Retreival of a sequence in the current GenBank by locus name or
accession number.

To use this GenBank Search stack, you must have:

--  a Macintosh that is connected to the national Internet network, thru
an Appletalk or Ethernet cable,

--  your Mac must have the MacTCP communications software, and Hypercard
version 1.2 or later, from Apple Computer,

--  you must have a valid Internet return mail address.

This stack includes a simple sequence editor, so you can enter your
sequence directly here, and it includes features to read from disk a
variety of sequence formats.  The Search card then takes whatever sequence
you have in the Editor card, bundles that with some information on how to
perform the search, and sends it off thru the Internet network using SMTP
(simple mail transfer protocol) methods.

For the Fetch card, you need to supply an Accession number or GenBank
Locus name, which is send off by SMTP to another maildrop at the GenBank
computer.

GenBank Search stack is available via anonymous FTP to
Iubio.Bio.Indiana.Edu, cd [archive.molbio.mac], Get GBSearch.Hqx.   This
file is a binhex encoding of a stuffit archive of the stack.

-- Don Gilbert

Don.Gilbert@iubio.bio.indiana.edu
biology dept., indiana univ.,  bloomington, in 47405, usa

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (10/31/90)

Dave Kristofferson asked me to take a look at your stack, and I found
it to be quite nicely done.  I'd like to applaud your efforts to
improve on the user interface to SEARCH and RETRIEVE.

One accesses the GenBank stack as one would any other - by either
double clicking on the file, or by jumping to it from Hypercard.

The stack then presents you with an introductory display, which is
made up of clips from an actual fasta run, I presume.  This display
also has the author information in it.

After a click, a table of contents is presented.  The user may access
either SEARCH or RETRIEVE from this stack, and it will take data from
either a file, or a data card.

After collecting all the relevant information, the stack uses XCMDs to
talk to MacTCP to communicate with GenBank.  The communication, as
envisioned by Gilbert, is most amusing to watch.  GenBank, pictured
as a gargantuan roman building, accepts a beam of light from my little
Mac, and the SMTP transaction is mimicked.

The results were then processed and returned by GenBank to an account
that I specified in the Hypercard stack.

Over all, a very nice veneer for the mail system.  The one enhancement
I would love to see over time would be for the Mac to wait for results
from GenBank, and then present them to the user.  That's no small
task, though.

There was one bug in the stack - apparently it only works properly on
a Mac II because of the screen size.  I don't think this would be a
problem if there is a command to turn off the menu bar in Hypertalk.

--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

gilbertd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.175125.1@csc.fi> harper@csc.fi writes:
>the laser from the MAC to the TEMPLE, and the SLOW donkey moving
                               ^^^^^^
Hey, that isn't a monolith or a temple, it is a BANK which i lifted
from another hypercard stack (maybe an ancient bank, modern ones
look like drive in burger joints).   -- don

Don.Gilbert@Iubio.Bio.Indiana.Edu
biocomputing office, indiana univ., bloomington, in 47405, usa

harper@csc.fi (11/01/90)

In article <7243@cica.cica.indiana.edu>, Don.Gilbert@IUBio.Bio.Indiana.Edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
> The GenBank Search is a Macintosh Hypercard stack for interacting with the
> computer services of GenBank, the molecular biology databank. The GenBank
> computer provides two generally useful services for molecular biology by
> electronic mail:

I just received GBsearch using another of Don's products HYPERFTP
which is a must if you are doing much FTP'ing

Just like to report that it fired up no trouble at all... loved
the laser from the MAC to the TEMPLE, and the SLOW donkey moving
in the background was a nice touch of humour... I set the return address
to HARPER@CSC.FI, and believe it or not with FETCH I had just time to
walk down the hall from the machintosh room to my own terminal just
in time for the mail to arrive back from Genbank.

I could imagine a hypercard stack to talk to the BIOSCI nodes at
IRLEARN to help people subscribe to lists and more importantly
signoff without having to remember all of those queer commands.

Thanks once again for a nice programme

-=ROB=-

P.S. You should copy your note into BIO+SOFT since I am sure
     lots of people would like to run GBSEARCH on their MAC's

Cherry@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (J. Michael Cherry) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Oct31.175125.1@csc.fi> harper@csc.fi writes:
> I just received GBsearch using another of Don's products HYPERFTP
> which is a must if you are doing much FTP'ing

The HyperFTP stack was written by Douglas Hornig at Cornell University.
See the ? button in HyperFTP for more information. Don Gilbert did modify
the HyperFTP stack so that it worked correctly with the VMS directory
syntax.

> Just like to report that it fired up no trouble at all... loved
> the laser from the MAC to the TEMPLE

Everyone thinks its a temple. Sure looks like a government bank to me.

Mike

cherry@frodo.mgh.harvard.edu
Department of Molecular Biology
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston