[bionet.molbio.genbank] Status of Japanese Flat DB server

cthomas@f.adelaide.edu.au (05/24/91)

I realise this may not be the most appropriate newsgroup, but -
can anyone provide any information about the status of the Japanese DNA
FLAT DB E-mail Network Server.  I have not been able to access it for several
months, nor have I been able to contact it's administrator, Sanzo Miyazawa.
The address used to be as below.  My mailer now says the addresses do not exist.
Any clues?

Connor J Thomas
Dept Micro & Immunol
University of Adelaide
Adelaide
South Australia

netserv@flat.nig.ac.jp (2)              FLAT DB E-Mail Network Server

                                        DDBJ,Genbank(updated 2x daily)
Sanzo Miyazawa                          GENPEPT, EMBL(+new entries)
smiyazaw@nig.ac.jp                      SwissProt, PIR, PRF
                                        keyword searches by author,
                                        journal, accession, and description
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pgil@HISTONE.LANL.GOV (Paul Gilna) (05/25/91)

	From BIOSCI-REQUEST@genbank.bio.net Fri May 24 06:40:34 1991
	To: genbank-bb@ucs.adelaide.edu.au
	Subject: Status of Japanese Flat DB server
	Sender: news@ucs.adelaide.edu.au Posted: Fri May 24 07:12:42 1991

	I realise this may not be the most appropriate newsgroup, but - can
	anyone provide any information about the status of the Japanese DNA
	FLAT DB E-mail Network Server.  I have not been able to access it for
	several months, nor have I been able to contact it's administrator,
	Sanzo Miyazawa.  The address used to be as below.  My mailer now says
	the addresses do not exist.  Any clues?

	Connor J Thomas
	Dept Micro & Immunol
	University of Adelaide Adelaide
	South Australia

____________________________

Connor,

On the off chance that DDBJ are suffering from mail problems and have not seen this message, I have taken the liberty of providing you with the current makeup of the staff at DDBJ and their respective responsibilities; these email addresses should work, as we are in routine communication with the group.

I will forward the initial message to them also

regards,

paul gilna
GenBank, Los Alamos

                    DDBJ PERSONNEL DIRECTORY

                      Executive Officers

Administrative Director
Takashi Gojobori, Ph.D. *
Phone: 559-76-6921
e mail: tgojobor@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

Executive Director
Yoshio Tateno, Ph.D. *
Phone: 559-76-0352
e mail: ytateno@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

                    Division of Database Construction

Associate Director
Yoshio Tateno, Ph.D. *
Phone: 559-76-0352
e mail: ytateno@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

   Database Construction
   Section Manager
   Yoshihiro Ugawa, Ph.D. *
   Phone: 559-76-6911
   e mail: yugawa@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

        Information Review (annotation and review)
        Supervisor
        Yukiko Yamazaki, Ph.D. *
        Phone:427-46-0184
        e mail: yyamazak@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

        Information Coordination
        Motono Horie, Masako Iwase
        Phone: 559-76-6911
        e mail: mhorie@ddbj.nig.ac.jp
        e mail: miwase@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

        Genetic Resources Information
        Yuko Hasegawa
        Phone: 559-76-0352
        e mail: yhasegaw@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

        International Collaboration
        Supervisor
        Mary Shimoyama  *
        Phone: 559-76-6911
        e mail: mshimoya@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

            Staff
          Yuriko Noguchi *
          Phone: 559-76-6921
          e mail: ynoguchi@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

    Software Development
    Section Manager
    Hidenori Hayashida, Ph.D. *
    Phone: 559-76-6911
    e mail: hhayashi@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

                       Division of Public Relations

Associate Director
Naruya Saitou, Ph.D. *
Phone: 559-76-6911
e mail: nsaitou@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

    User Services
    Section Manager
    Naruya Saitou, Ph.D. *
    Phone: 559-76-6911
    e mail: nsaitou@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

         Information Distribution
         Shigeko Suzuki
         Phone: 559-76-6911
         e mail: ssuzuki@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

         Distribution of Genetic Resources Information
         Yoko Ueda
         Phone: 559-76-6911

         Support Planning(DDBJ news)
         Supervisor
         Yuriko Noguchi *
         Phone: 559-76-6921
         e mail: ynoguchi@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

    Administration
    Section Manager
    Takashi Gojobori, Ph.D. *
    Phone: 559-76-6921
    e mail: tgojobor@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

         Personnel
         Supervisor
         Motono Horie
         Phone: 559-76-6911
         e mail: mhorie@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

         Treasury
         Yoko Matsushima
         Phone: 559-76-6911
         e mail: ymatsush@ddbj.nig.ac.jp

All staff members can handle e mail, fax, letters and other communications in
English. For your convenience staff members with a high level of proficiency in
English have been indicated with an * for ease in making telephone calls.
When uncertain of the proper recipient for communications or other questions,
please contact Mary Shimoyama or Yuriko Noguchi, International Collaboration.

NOTE: THE COUNTRY CODE FOR OVERSEAS CALLS IS 81
      FOR DOMESTIC CALLS PLEASE  USE 0559 AS THE EXCHANGE. THANK YOU.

Cherry@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (J. Michael Cherry) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.214242.1@f.adelaide.edu.au>
cthomas@f.adelaide.edu.au writes:
> My mailer now says the addresses do not exist.
> Any clues?
>
> Connor J Thomas

This is the message that was included in the help information from the
DDBJ server in March:

>        This service will be stopped for a while after the end of March.
>

>                FLAT DB E-Mail Network Server
>
>                                                Sanzo Miyazawa

The host flat.nig.ac.jp appears to have been removed from the network. It
is also not listed in the domain named service thus your mailer errors.
The host nig.ac.jp is still there so mail to smiyazaw@nig.ac.jp should get
through.

Mike Cherry
cherry@frodo.mgh.harvard.edu