[bionet.molbio.genbank] Genbank FTP server

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (12/06/90)

A number of individuals have reported problems involving loss of
connection during an FTP session with Genbank.  If you've had such a
problem, please contact me (lear@turbo.bio.net).  We are in the
process of isolating the problem (which may be some incompatability
between FTP versions).

Thanks,
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

ken@golgi.harvard.edu (Ken Cleary) (05/28/91)

This may be a silly question, as I may have overlooked previous discussion about this,
but...
What happened to the FTP server on genbank.bio.net?  When I try to come in on anonymous
FTP, I get thrown into a kermit session.  This threw me for a loop.  I'm not sure I
understand the purpose of using kermit when you are coming in on a TCP/IP link...
I've done Anon-FTP from this server previously, and this is the first time I've seen this.

Ken Cleary.

will@turbo.bio.net (Will Nelson) (05/29/91)

In article <6886@husc6.harvard.edu> ken@golgi.harvard.edu (Ken Cleary) writes:
>This may be a silly question, as I may have overlooked previous discussion about this,
>but...
>What happened to the FTP server on genbank.bio.net?  When I try to come in on anonymous
>FTP, I get thrown into a kermit session.  This threw me for a loop.  I'm not sure I
>understand the purpose of using kermit when you are coming in on a TCP/IP link...
>I've done Anon-FTP from this server previously, and this is the first time I've seen this.
>
>Ken Cleary.

Genbank.bio.net was flaky early this morning. The process
table was full from 03:28 am until we rebooted at 06:46 am.
This resulted in bogus error messages such as "illegal protocol"
when people tried to rlogin. I suspect that what you thought
was a kermit session was an artifact on the process table
overflowing during that period.

Anonymous ftp is working ok now.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Will Nelson
GenBank Systems Programmer

--
Will Nelson			Internet: will@presto.ig.com
Intelligenetics, Inc.		Uucp:     ames!ig.com!presto!will

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (05/29/91)

ken@golgi.harvard.edu (Ken Cleary) writes:

>This may be a silly question, as I may have overlooked previous
>discussion about this, but...  What happened to the FTP server on
>genbank.bio.net?  When I try to come in on anonymous FTP, I get
>thrown into a kermit session...
>Ken Cleary.

Ken,

Perhaps there was some bug, but could it be that you used TELNET
instead of FTP to connect to genbank and then logged in as anonymous?
This will place you into kermit.  If you wish to use anonymous FTP,
you should run your FTP client, which will connect via TCP to
Genbank's FTP server, and then log in with username ``anonymous''.

Best Wishes,
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]