[bionet.molbio.bio-matrix] matrix

karp@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Peter Karp) (05/24/89)

Dan:

I hope that when you say the matrix concept is about reasoning by
analogy, that you don't mean it's only about reasoning by analogy.
For example, my these work involves using knowledge in what I might
call a micro-matrix to formulate hypotheses about gene regulation.  My
work has nothing to do with reasoning by analogy, but I believe it has
something to do with what the matrix is about.  I believe the matrix
will provide the core knowledge for many different forms of scientific
reasoning.  Some of this reasoning will be performed by people, and
some of it will be performed by computers.

Nice to see some nonadministrative content on this mailing list for a
change...

Peter

kristoff@NET.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (05/24/89)

> Nice to see some nonadministrative content on this mailing list for a
> change...

Glad to oblige in geting the ball rolling.  Peter, I recall your
attempt of some time back to talk about your research and commend you
for it.  Unfortunately few others followed your lead.  You, of course,
are a computer scientist doing biological applications.  Can't some of
the biologists on the lists join in the discussions too?
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIONET Resource Manager