[bionet.molbio.bio-matrix] No Insults Intended, But...

BABCOCK@ANCHOR.RUTGERS.EDU (02/06/91)

	"Science: The End of the Frontier?" a supplement to Science
magazine January 1991 should be read by everyone in the Scientific
community. The bottom line is that, with the present environment
of funding, morale is way down, and those who would potentially enter
the field are choosing alternative, non-academic career paths because
of the dismal future they see. How do their findings effect anyone
interested in cross-disciplinary research? It is because of this
supplement along with the growing number of my acquaintances (and myself)
looking for jobs, planning their goal directions and redirections,
and generally sweating through layoffs that I place this on the
bulletin board.
	Last year, at the Bio-Matrix meeting, the question arose:
what should the purpose be for a Bio-Matrix Society? What would the group
accomplish that could not or was not being accomplished by being a
sub-discipline of another group (potentially AAAI, Biophysical
Society etc.)?
	One viewpoint for the group would be for the exchange of
scientific insights and provide a place for like minded people (who
normally would not run into each other at the other societies meetings)
to gather, and hopefully help the field to progress.
	In todays tough economic times however, a more important function
might be to simply help the field survive. The bio-matrix, by definition,
is comprised of scientists from multiple disciples with interests which
are cross-disciplinary encompassing a biological or chemical science
and computer science. In order for the network to work, collaborations
and free exchange of information is imperative. One of the more frightening
lines from the report (pg 11) was : "These scientists are also
increasingly viewing their fellows as competitors, rather than
colleagues, leading to an increasingly corrosive atmosphere." This growing
attitude could be fatal to the lofty ideals of creating an environment
where the present knowledge of biology was available through
interconnected databases.
	Furthermore, as the economic situation get tighter, researchers
that fit between disciplines will have more trouble getting jobs,
grants, etc. Are the researchers interested in a Bio-Matrix doomed
to become an endangered or extinct species? I especially want to ask question
about the academic researcher trying to run a small research group. While
most academic institutions can appreciate why a computer person
interested in biological applications is important, the computer science
department may not want to give a precious slot to a 'bio' type, and conversely
a biologist interested in computer tools may have trouble getting jobs in a
biology department since most of what they are doing appears to be
computer science. (Yes, I know three schools at least have joint mol.
bio. computer graduate degree programs, but that type of open-ness is
a minority opinion from what I've been hearing).
	To what funding agencies should grants go? This has been answered
to some extent at the bio-matrix meeting, but there is much research which
doesn't fit into the neat categories of most agencies. Furthermore,
since the research requires expertise in multiple disciplines, writing
an understandable grant for a reader from only one of the disciplines
makes it much more difficult, especially with grant page limitations.
Even more important, there is usually a tendency to fund one's own
field or what one would like to see accomplished, than something that
would most likely appear in a journal the reviewer would rarely if
ever read. There can even be some resentment as new areas take funds
away from older well established fields.
	Additionally, since the field is fairly new, expectations
tend to be unrealistic. There is an expectation of much better and
faster results from both the researchers and external observers who
would be interested in using some of the databases, tools etc. being
created at this time. Databases are useless without a long term commitment
in both money and time to create, maintain, update and create easy access
to them by a user community. Unfortunately, there is a certain stigma
placed upon database creation and maintenance which make it considered
something less than 'real research'. This was brought up at the meeting
during a discussion on how often the creator of a database managed to
get tenure and thus stick around long enough to see the fruit of their labor.
The discussion suggested too rarely.
	There are many researchers who are not involved in database creation,
but who are involved in creating programs to analyze, synthesize and generally
make new discoveries by utilizing one or more databases to gain new
insights into their favorite problem. It is just as important to include
their programs in some database so that the emerging databases can be better
utilized. (Yes, many of the databases have people working on such programs,
but individual efforts are still required). Again, there is an attitude
that creating analysis programs is not 'real science'. How are these
people going to get and maintain independent research positions in an
academic environment? Increasingly, companies are performing the task of
packaging the most popular programs and types of programs (e.g. Biosym,
Intelligenetics, GCG). Will the student or researcher afford, or justify
affording access to programs that they might never use again? How about
the researcher who wants to maintain and extend their own programs
and ensure that they absolutely freely (and with no charge) distributed?
(Most of the commercial companies do an excellent job of making
programs affordable for academic institutions. If, however, there are
for instance limited computational capability or external connections
(modem time can get expensive),individual programs on a PC or workstation
may be the only possible, desirable or necessary way for some labs to
use a program. There is still the problem of freelance researchers who
is trying to avoid getting gobbled up by the larger projects.
I refer to freelance as an individual who creates a program they really want
to utilize and then make it available to others.) After all, a biologist who
thoroughly knows the experimental side of the problem and learns or
collaborates with a computer scientist has an excellent opportunity for creating
a really good tool. Conversely, a computer scientist with a really powerful
computer approach finding a biological problem that appears to be custom
made for their approach will also have an edge. How can they compete with
commercial companies or even the larger better funded databases who
can throw many warm bodies on a project in order to get a product,
when the individual academician spends so much time writing
grants just to survive. And what kind of freedom will their students have
to explore their own projects if the labs grant dictates otherwise?
	We can't solve the funding problem. But we should be working to
help the little guy as well as the big databases survive. How about a
database or clearing house for people who know of or are seeking to form
collaborations for a particular project? How about a place to put research
ideas that you may not have the time or expertise to do yourself but
would like to see done? (This helps all the computer science students
asking the number one question- "Do you know of a project in the biological
field that I could work on and get a computer science degree?"). And
last but not least, a job listing where those who know of a job, or are
looking for a job can try and find the right environment to survive
with there multi-disciplinary interests. Bio-matrix meetings will not
be very interesting if there are few places and people working in the
field because researchers have had to get 'practical' and stay within
the confines of their own fields. How about trying to make the Bio-matrix
something more than just a summer meeting? Our very survival may depend
upon it.

ABOLA@PB3.CHM.BNL.GOV (02/06/91)

Questions on support for development and maintenance of databases
specially in the biological fields are now being seriously addressed
by the funding agencies - NSF and NIH/NLM are two places that have
initiated programs in this area.  Although funding is indeed tough;
one could only hope that these new initiatives would eventually help.

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (02/06/91)

> 	Furthermore, as the economic situation get tighter, researchers
> that fit between disciplines will have more trouble getting jobs,
> grants, etc.

Frankly, this is not new, although it may be worsening.  The gist of
the report was that funding did not rise as fast as the number of baby
boomers who want to get a slice of the pie.  This shouldn't be news to
anyone.

Coming from a BIO-PHYSICAL-CHEMISTRY background which included
substantial computing, this kind of interdiscplinary "lack of
identity" problem had a lot to do with my own career choices and with
why I am now at IntelliGenetics.

Suffice it to say that I was the first in one of my advisors groups to
go into dreaded industry in 1986.  However, I would like all of you to
know that

		     there is life in industry!!!

I was told by one person a long time back (being one of their "prize
students") that if I ever went into industry he'd "cut off both of my
legs."  While I am sure that this was stated with a slight amount of
exaggeration 8-), it nonetheless reflects an attitude in academia that
I encountered repeatedly.

No, I am not doing "real science" any more, but, frankly, I am happy
in my job and have no regrets.  In fact, when I think back about the
academic position that I turned down prior to coming to IG, I sigh
with relief at the choice I made.

The thing that bothers me about the situation above is that so many
young people are essentially brain-washed into thinking that, if they
don't make in in academics, they've failed.  This is absolutely
asinine and a complete disservice to them as part of their
"education."  High tech companies are not the mindless industrial
mills of the 19th century, and capitalists are not vampires who suck
blood out of widows and orphans.  What is sad is that a more positive
attitude towards industry is not fostered in academia.  For example,
the Genome project will undoubtedly lead to all kinds of new jobs for
people in this area, but many of those jobs would be in the private
sector.  Thus one is confronted by the protest of young academics who
are concerned about their money being sucked away.  I believe that if
one looked at the overall picture without rose-colored glasses, one
might actually find that these people might be better off if they
considered other options.

I would be the first to applaud if Congress decided to expand
scientific funding to the point where all qualified people could get
grants.  However, this is not the case, probably won't be the case for
some time to come, but still isn't cause for total despair.  There are
other options.  It takes a lot of exertion to change one's mindset and
realize that, unfortunately.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

P.S. - I don't expect the above to be especially popular and am
prepared to take my lumps 8-).

Ellington@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (Deaddog) (02/09/91)

In article <Feb.5.13.42.45.1991.2583@genbank.bio.net>
kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) writes:

> No, I am not doing "real science" any more, but, frankly, I am happy
> in my job and have no regrets.

and

> the Genome project will undoubtedly lead to all kinds of new jobs for
> people in this area, but many of those jobs would be in the private
> sector.  Thus one is confronted by the protest of young academics who
> are concerned about their money being sucked away.  I believe that if
> one looked at the overall picture without rose-colored glasses, one
> might actually find that these people might be better off if they
> considered other options.

So, would it be correct to paraphrase this as:  "As long as scientists
don't mind not doing 'real science' there will be plenty of money for them?"

Non-woof

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (02/09/91)

> So, would it be correct to paraphrase this as:  "As long as scientists
> don't mind not doing 'real science' there will be plenty of money for them?"
>
> Non-woof

If one wants to be cynical, yes.  I was trying to emphasize the fact
that many scientists are hung up over "real science."  It is also
possible to contribute to the progress of science in a non-academic
(gasp) support role (gag) AND be happy doing it (AND sometimes make a
bigger contribution to progress than those engaged in solitary
research projects ... look at how many publications never even get
cited).  Of course, one can imagine the psychological trauma that such
a change might entail if this meant giving up one's dreams of getting
into the history books 8-) (sly grin).

Woof

Ellington@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (Deaddog) (02/11/91)

In article <Feb.8.23.21.43.1991.27182@genbank.bio.net>
kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) writes:
> I was trying to emphasize the fact
> that many scientists are hung up over "real science."

Yes, this is the crux of the matter.  Is "real science" more important
than bookkeeping efforts such as the Genome Boondoggle?

"Real science" generally addresses questions (the old "test the
hypothesis" saw).  Of course, if there were unlimited resources
for data accumulation, the necessity for focus would be minimized:
we could chain those million hoary monkeys to typewriters to see
if they really would write Shakespeare (well, at least until the Animal
Rights Activists blew the Institute of Monkey Shenanigans to
smithereens).

But, sadly, there are not unlimited resources.  Therefore, some
semblance of focus must be maintained.  For the public sector, this
has been provided by peer review of grants.  Questions which begin
with "how" and "why" and "what" are answered.  For the private
sector, the magic of the marketplace has held sway.  Questions which
begin with "how much can we make" are answered.

If the Genome Boondoggle was a corporate effort I would cheer.  And I
would gladly pay through the nose for the sequence of the BLAH gene.

But as a public sector project, I must demur.  There are (a very few)
"how" and "what" and "why" questions that will be answered by having a
sequence of the human genome.  In addition, it will be a wonderful
resource for answering questions that haven't even been asked yet.
But that in no way justifies the expenditure, especially given that it
siphons resources away from "real science" (please, no rehash of
this debate:  those of us who scrounge for grants say one thing, while
those of you who are contemplating which Genome Center to go to say
another).

More importantly, regardless of whether the Genome Boondoggle is
"real science," it corrupts "real science."  Your message was a prime
example.  I did not spend the last ten years of my life in indentured
servitude so that I could become a Certified Public Genetic Accountant.
I want to do "real science" on questions that I think are interesting.  And
it galls me to see money wasted on projects that ask few and tiny questions.
And it galls me to see facile statements such as:

> one can imagine the psychological trauma that such
> a change might entail if this meant giving up one's dreams of getting
> into the history books (skewer the smiley)

Most researchers put up with anonymity and low pay and the constant
hassles of teaching and grant writing so that they can Do What They
Want To Do.  And to suggest otherwise is ridiculous and, in fact,
insulting.  Saying that a researcher should not be "hung up over 'real
science'" is like telling an aspiring actor that s/he shouldn't be upset
at having to wait on tables, or telling a college athlete that if s/he
doesn't make the pros he can still play in a league on weekends.  It's
just not the same thing.

Non-woof

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (02/11/91)

> Most researchers put up with anonymity and low pay and the constant
> hassles of teaching and grant writing so that they can Do What They
> Want To Do.  And to suggest otherwise is ridiculous and, in fact,
> insulting.  Saying that a researcher should not be "hung up over 'real
> science'" is like telling an aspiring actor that s/he shouldn't be upset
> at having to wait on tables, or telling a college athlete that if s/he
> doesn't make the pros he can still play in a league on weekends.  It's
> just not the same thing.

You continue to miss my points and "paraphrase" them to absurdity.
Having also spent close to ten years under the same kind of conditions
I too once thought that way.  After about seven of those years it
wasn't clear to me that I was really doing "what I wanted to do" but
instead, looking back on it, I kept on going because "I wasn't a
quitter ... I had so much invested in it ...  I loved the academic
lifestyle and didn't want to get tied down to the slavery of an
uncreative 9-to-5 job ... (I'm sure you can fill in the rest)."  I
have seen several people stick to this line of reasoning for so long
that it cost them their marriage.  I am well aware of the sacrifices
that can be exacted and have a certain "respect" for those who have
the stamina to make them.

My message was/is not directed to those out there (of whom I assume
you are one) who still find their career choice to their liking, but
instead to those who opted for academics and feel like they *have* to
keep going despite their misgivings.  You may find my message
insulting, but it wasn't intended to be.  Instead I meant it as a
message of hope to those who might be thinking about a career change,
but couldn't get up the nerve to do it.  My message was simply that
life can be pretty good on the other side of the wall.  I put up with
a fair number of insults from those who thought I was bailing out,
quitting, etc., and it was a very difficult decision to make.  You
chose the metaphor of still being able to "play in a league on
weekends" but that is also not my point.  I make ***absolutely no
pretense*** about doing any research any longer.  My point was that I
found other things to do which I enjoyed even more.  I am NOT trying
to convince you to change your career, but I would be vehemently
opposed if anyone used metaphors of failure like the above to pressure
others who might be thinking about leaving the field.  I have seen
this kind of thing done too many times before, and, given the current
funding situation, it will probably occur many times again.

The economic fact is that the research funding situation is not going
to grow sufficiently to accomodate everyone who tries to go on in
research.  Some people obviously have a much better chance of getting
a slice of the pie than many of the people who come from less
high-powered institutions.  There are many people out there who are
continuing to strive hard against odds which may be impossible for
them to overcome.  However, when anyone tries to tell them that there
may still be hope for them elsewhere, the usual barrage "if you do
anything other than science you're a failure; you're only playing in a
weekend league" starts up.  I hope that you *do* succeed in the career
which you are striving for.  I wish everyone who wants to succeed in
research will do so.  I too have known the excitement of waking up at
2 AM with a brilliant idea and of rushing into the lab to test it out.
I published about 12 papers in graduate school.  However, after a
series of personal events during my time as a postdoc which I need not
bore you with, I made the decision to leave the field.  It was an
extremely difficult decision; I remember being **extremely** depressed
about the whole situation.  When I finally did make up my mind there
was very little support, but lots of people who would make comments
about going back to the bush leagues, etc.  It seemed to me that some
people had to try hard to convince themselves of the correctness of
their career choice by denigrating mine.

My point, *once again*, is that there are other things in life that
people trained as scientists can do, can do *well*, can enjoy, and can
make a decent living at.  I apologize to anyone who is offended by
this, but I stick by this statement.  If you love what you are doing,
then best wishes for your success; you can ignore my blithering.  If
you don't like your current situation, my message is simple: don't
give up hope.  Even though a career change out of research is a very
difficult thing to reconcile oneself to, you may find yourself smiling
after it is over and wondering why you took so long to make your mind
up.

Now someone can come along and accuse me of undermining the will of
American researchers .... 8-).  I have no apologies here.  If the
country really wants more researchers, the money will be found and
there won't be legions of people who can be undermined.  I still think
we are faced with an oversupply situation in research, and it is more
humane to help people find other jobs.  One can always point to other
countries spending more on research as a % of GNP, but it will be
interesting to see if those percentages are maintained once their GNP
reaches the size of ours.  Given the shape of some of our industries,
I would think that the country might want to encourage some of its
more talented people to direct their efforts there, so that hopefully
there will continue to be people in this country who can pay the taxes
to support the research effort.  I would hope that American academic
institutions would work more closely with industry because the net
result could be mutually beneficial.  However as long as industry is
viewed in academics as a "weekend league" this country will continue
to shoot itself in the foot.

Dave Kristofferson

elliston@av8tr.UUCP (Keith Elliston) (02/11/91)

(Ongoing discussion of academics vs. industry...)

In article <Feb.10.23.02.04.1991.6193@genbank.bio.net>, kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) writes:
> I would hope that American academic
> institutions would work more closely with industry because the net
> result could be mutually beneficial.  However as long as industry is
> viewed in academics as a "weekend league" this country will continue
> to shoot itself in the foot.

I have been watching (reading) this little debate, and have just a couple
of things to say.  First, neither of the 2 views offered on academia and
industry are either typical (in my view), or are a good representation of
the current situation.  Second, I think that the view most people have
of industrial science are very outdated.  In fact, in the past 4 years
(which is the same number of years I have spent in industry) the best
science that I have personally seen, has been industrial science.  I
have been witness to some of the absolute best in collaborations,
cooperation, and innovation that I have ever seen, in any setting.

I don't want to go on spouting my views, and giving all my viewpoints, but
I do want to say that industry has really taken up the slack in science
lately, particularly in biotechnology.  A large amount of the research
funding in the area has come from industrial sources, and industrial
labs are doing a large amount of basic research that is being published
and is available to the world.  I saw the most backward scientific efforts
in academia when I was there, and saw people backstabbing, stealing ideas,
and abusing graduate students and Post-docs for their own personal gain.
At least in industrial, the merit system seems to work.  People tend to
get credit for their own work, and are rewarded for it.

Don't think that real science (what is that anyway???) is only done in
academia.  The best science I have seen of late has been done in the
industrial setting, and I don't think that I will ever consider
going back into academia for this very reason.

Take a look at all sides, look at the number of high quality research
papers coming for industrial or industry supported labs (Roche Inst,
Merck, Monsanto, DuPont.... just to name a few).  Compare these to
the bastions of academic research, and I think you may be surprised.

My $0.02.

Keith Elliston

--
Keith O. Elliston          elliston@av8tr.UUCP           elliston@msdrl.com
AA5A N9734U                elliston@mbcl.rutgers.edu     elliston@biovax.bitnet

"Fly because you have to, to keep some semblance of sanity."

In article <620@av8tr.UUCP> elliston@av8tr.UUCP (Keith Elliston) writes:
> Don't think that real science (what is that anyway???) is only done in
> academia.  The best science I have seen of late has been done in the
> industrial setting, and I don't think that I will ever consider
> going back into academia for this very reason.

I couldn't agree more.  Which is why I am currently making the rather
agonizing decision over whether to remain in academic science or go into
industry.  There is no reason that I couldn't Do What I Want To Do in
industry; the real question is whether industry wants to do, What I Want
To Do (Do-Doop-De-Doop).

I am not anti-industry; I personally feel that some of the MOST innovative
science being done is coming out of industry.

But there is still a great deal of very good science that can only be done
in an academic setting.  And this science is getting bashed about the head
by falling funding.  And the Genome Boondoggle, that great Telephone Book of
Human Sequences, is not helping matters.

Non-woof