[bionet.molbio.bio-matrix] genome project

gribskov@FCRFV1.NCIFCRF.GOV ("Gribskov, Michael") (02/13/91)

I am glad to see that this discussion has, for the most part, returned
to rational debate.  Dr. Ellingtons's objections to the genome project
seem to me to fall into 3 categories: financial, systematic, and
scientific.

1) Financial -- the genome project is cutting into NIH funding for
   other projects and molecular evolution projects are difficult to get
   funding for.

   While there is some truth to this, I think the bulk of the funding
   for the genome program is new money.  NIH's funding problems can
   be traced to a number of sources, including the large increase in the
   number of continuing grants funded several years ago, and a
   substantial increase in the number of researchers competing for
   grants.  It seems to me that it is very unlikely that cancellation of
   the genome program would result in the transfer of the allocated funds
   to NIH general program.  Congress would probably see a "better" use for
   them (congressional salaries perhaps, certainly not deficit reduction).

   There are also a number of projects funded previously by the NIH
   which are now funded by genome project funding, thereby freeing up this
   money for non-genome projects.  Or another way of looking at it: some
   of the genome project money way already being spent on the same projects
   even before the prject officially existed.

2) Systematic --  the information resulting form the genome project is
   available by other means and few if any new lines of research will be
   opened up.

   To apply this standard to the genome project seems unfair.  Few if any
   grants describe a problem that can't be tackled by other means.  Most
   merely continue an existing line of inquiry and do not open up new
   ones.

3) Scientific - too little is known about human genes; the genetic map
   is too poor to justify sequencing the genome, besides most of the DNA
   is "junk" anyway. Furthermore the project is anthropocentric, ignoring
   the genomes of species which are much better characterized genetically.

   Many, if not the majority, of genes can be identified and the
   identity of the protein product determined by comparison to known genes
   from other organisms.  It is not unreasonable to expect that by the
   time actual genome sequence is available that most genes will be
   able to be identified in this way.  My understanding of the current
   project is the large parts, if not all, of the sequences of the
   following model systems will be sequenced in the course of the genome
   project: E. coli, yeast, fly, nematode, and mouse.  These include
   some of the most well characterized gneetic systems.  Perhaps the
   project should have been called the "lots of genomes project", but this
   would have been difficult to sell to congress.  Although we do not
   understand the function of much of the non-coding DNA, it is really
   premature to call it "junk".  Only a few years ago, the self-splicing
   introns that Dr. Ellington find interesting would have also been
   characterized as junk.
                             --------------------
   As to whether the resulting information will be useful, I admit that
   we won't really know until we have a good piece of it.  The project is
   speculative, as is a lot of good science.  One of my main worries is
   that it is being heavily oversold to congress as a panacaea for human
   disease.  This may ultimately result in a painful congressional backlash.

   The actual sequencing of genomes is still five years or more down the
   road and we will be in a much better position to judge the value of
   the project in a few years.  In the meantime, the five year goals of the
   project appear to me to be very justifiable and of wide general use.
   My synopsis gleaned from the U.S. Human Genome Project: FY 1991-1995
   (DOE/ER-0452P) report.

	1) Complete a fully connected human genetic map with markers
	   2-5 centimorgans apart, each associated with an STS.

	2) Assemble STS maps of all human chromosomes with markers at
	   at 100kb intervals.  Generate overlapping clones with
           continuity over 2mb.

	3) improve sequencing technology to allow sequencing at a cost
	   of $ 0.50/bp.

	4) prepare a genetic map of the mouse genome based on DNA
	   markers and physically map one or two chromosomes.

	5) develop effective software and database designs to deal with
	   mapping and sequence data.

	6) support research training of up to 600 pre- and post-doctoral
	   trainees.

The technique of ridiculing a project (by comparison to phlogiston or
N-Rays) would seem to indicate a lack of real arguments.  Creationists
often ridicule evolution with the same "ohmigosh, it's unimaginable"
in the course of proving that evolution is impossible.  I repeat --
many reputable scientists see some value in the genome project -- not
all of them are fools.  And no, I do not feel that I need to list them;
Most of us know who they are, anyone can find out by reading a little.

Michael Gribskov
gribskov@ncifcrf.gov

Lab320@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU ( ) (02/13/91)

In article <9102121616.AA03441@genbank.bio.net>
gribskov@FCRFV1.NCIFCRF.GOV ("Gribskov, Michael") writes:
> I am glad to see that this discussion has, for the most part, returned
> to rational debate.

Sorry, I'll try to work on this.

> Dr. Ellingtons's objections to the genome project
> seem to me to fall into 3 categories: financial, systematic, and
> scientific.

Actually, I didn't realize my thoughts were that coherent.  Many thanks.
Let me dig my ditch just a little deeper:

1. Financial--Genome Proponents often suggest that the money is
not being stolen from the NIH general program.  Even were this
true, I see two problems, based on the supposition that the Genome
Initiative is "science:"
   (a) Assume, if you will, that there was an "Easter Egg Initiative"
in which a number of researchers were trained to dye eggs.  This
money was sacrosanct, and grants would only be considered if they
related to the general area of egg coloration.  Can you not see why
there would be a hue (heh) and cry from the scientific community
over these funds, even if they wouldn't be turned directly back to
other science? Wasted money for bad science is wasted money that
does not reflect well on good science. (This is not meant to be as
flippant as it sounds; I am trying to convey my  position, not my ire.
Kee-rist, maybe I will start to use the loathesome smiley.)

   (b) In the coming years, as we all pay the costs of the S&L bailout,
the Iraq war, and a general decline in the American Empire, tax
money is going to become very, very scarce.  Most Congresspeople
are going to look at the TOTAL allotment of moneys for science,
and are not going to worry about niceties like Genome Initiative
vs. NIH general fund.  The privileged position of the Genome
Initiative will necessarily make fewer funds available for grants
that are, in effect, all competing against each other.  If the
Genome Initiative is a good thing, let it compete for money with
the projects it purports to do (see other of my communiques for
clarification).

2. Systematic (what in the world do I mean by that?) --

> Few if any
>  grants describe a problem that can't be tackled by other means.  Most
>  merely continue an existing line of inquiry and do not open up new
>  ones.

But almost all grants have a defined goal.  Writing a grant that in effect
says, "Let me do this and I'm sure I'll learn something.  Really." is the
kiss of death.

My point is this:  (a) Most justifications that have been aired in this
forum for the Genome Initiative can clearly (IMO) be done more effciently
with a directed approach.  (b) No justifications have been provided that
the Genome Initiative will open up *new* lines of research.  And (c) vague
justifications that suggest that "there's something out there" wouldn't
stand up to scrutiny by the folks that hand out the money.

3. Scientific--note that Dr. Gribskov doesn't actually answer the points he
takes the pains to restate in the intro to this section.  He merely points
out that we will learn a great deal from sequencing other genomes, a point
I have already agreed on.

However, other genomes cannot be used to 'bootstrap' our way to sequencing
the human genome.  Junk is still junk.  Waste is still waste.  In fact,
once we have all those lovely homologous sequences, why bother with
sequencing the human genome:  that's what hybridization and PCR are for,
right?

As for the rejoinder about "how do we know it's junk until we sequence it
all?" I can only reply that we seem to be doing a bang-up job of figuring
out the junk we already got without sequencing the human genome.  With
self-splicing introns being a good example.  We got lots of junk and
very few insights.  More thinking, less sequencing!

How much good science will flow from this waste?  Some.  How much good
science will be sacrificed to this waste?  Lots.

> One of my main worries is
> that it is being heavily oversold to congress as a panacaea for human
> disease.  This may ultimately result in a painful congressional
> backlash.

I would imagine it horrifies Dr. Gribskov to see that we are in synchrony.
See another of my annoying replies for details.

> The actual sequencing of genomes is still five years or more down the
>    road and we will be in a much better position to judge the value of
>    the project in a few years.

This is the true horror.  Once we are on the path to perfidy, there is no
stopping.  Can you imagine sequencing 10% of the human genome and calling
it quits?  No way!  We will spend 5x more money to get the rest (hey, I
give the sequencing technologists some credit).  And, more importantly,
there will be 600 young researchers whose meat and potatoes are coming
from the project.  Why?  Because that's what we trained them to do!

Believe it or don't, I agree with all the interim goals of the Genome
Project. This is important science that should be done:  but not as
the tip of a very slippery slide into the accumulation of bags of
silly data.  Let these projects compete in the normal grant pool:
if they are worthy they will be funded and science will be better off.
If not, at least we won't have the built-in impetus to clone and
sequence random DNA for no good reason.

> The technique of ridiculing a project (by comparison to phlogiston or
> N-Rays) would seem to indicate a lack of real arguments.

No, it indicates a superabundance of bad humor.  And besides, didn't you
just go to the trouble of reiterating all my arguments, good or not?

Non-woof

(I see that I have begun to repeat myself, which means that we have
just about exhausted this cycle of argumentation.  We will all go
quiescent soon; I bid you adieu.)

elliston@av8tr.UUCP (Keith Elliston) (02/13/91)

Just one more thought on the whole genome initiative.....

Are we really justified in spending the large amount of $$ and time
that it will take to sequence the genome, when we are only interested
in the sequence of G's, A's, T's and C's???  Are we ready to ignore
any and all base modifications that occur?  Do we really know that
the only information that is important is the sequence of the four
bases, and not any other information.

I have not heard any address this issue.  Anyone want to give it a shot?

Keith Elliston
(No Woofs or Non-Woofs.... :)
--
Keith O. Elliston          elliston@av8tr.UUCP           elliston@msdrl.com
AA5A N9734U                elliston@mbcl.rutgers.edu     elliston@biovax.bitnet

"Fly because you have to, to keep some semblance of sanity."