[bionet.molbio.bio-matrix] Oh foolish supporters of genome sequencing

gribskov@FCRFV1.NCIFCRF.GOV ("Gribskov, Michael") (02/12/91)

At the risk of once again incurring the fiery wrath and ridicule of
Dr. Ellington, due to anyone who speaks favorably about the genome
initiative, let me just train my antennae on his "tiny mind".  He makes
the following cogent arguments against the genome project:

	he doesn't like it
	he doesn't think it's real science
	he thinks it's really worthless

Perhaps a more tightly reasoned argument would be more convincing? There
are certainly quite a few people who see some value in the genome
project, even if they don't agree entirely with its goals/or
implementation.  Not all of those people are fools.  I would certainly
like to know the names of the ofFfFensive person or persons who "would
suggest I should just bag my ideals and go off to happily catalogue
genes at random.  And I am outraged that *alternative service* in
science may come to mean just that." Furthermore, there is a big
difference between systematically sequencing an entire genome, and
sequencing genes at random.  I would say they are opposite ends of a
spectrum, in fact.

Michael Gribskov
gribskov@ncifcrf.gov

m.witten@CERBERUS.CHPC.UTEXAS.EDU (02/12/91)

I'm all for open discussion. But Im getting tired of the FLAME war.
Can we cease this infantile behavior on all sides. If we want to
get into philosophical flame wars, lets do it in usenet.sci.phil
or somewhere like that.

> At the risk of once again incurring the fiery wrath and ridicule of
> Dr. Ellington, due to anyone who speaks favorably about the genome
> initiative, let me just train my antennae on his "tiny mind".  He makes
> the following cogent arguments against the genome project:
>
> 	he doesn't like it
> 	he doesn't think it's real science
> 	he thinks it's really worthless
>
> Perhaps a more tightly reasoned argument would be more convincing? There
> are certainly quite a few people who see some value in the genome
> project, even if they don't agree entirely with its goals/or
> implementation.  Not all of those people are fools.  I would certainly
> like to know the names of the ofFfFensive person or persons who "would
> suggest I should just bag my ideals and go off to happily catalogue
> genes at random.  And I am outraged that *alternative service* in
> science may come to mean just that." Furthermore, there is a big
> difference between systematically sequencing an entire genome, and
> sequencing genes at random.  I would say they are opposite ends of a
> spectrum, in fact.
>
> Michael Gribskov
> gribskov@ncifcrf.gov

Matthew Witten, Ph.D.
Director, Applications Research & Development
Associate Director, UT System Center For High Performance Computing
Balcones Research Center, 1.154 CMS
10100 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78758-4497 USA

Phone: (512) 471-2472  FAX: (512) 471-2445/2449

E-MAIL  M.WITTEN@HERMES.CHPC.UTEXAS.EDU
        M.WITTEN@UTCHPC.BITNET

"some intellectuals make their living by creating obscurities for the
rest of us to puzzle over"

tone@biomath.mscs.mu.edu (Peter J. Tonellato) (02/12/91)

In article <9102111918.AA00663@morpheus.chpc.utexas.edu> m.witten@CERBERUS.CHPC.UTEXAS.EDU writes:
>I'm all for open discussion. But Im getting tired of the FLAME war.

Agreed. This newsgroup is an obvious forum for the discussion of the
pro's and con's of scientific funding, emphasis, ... and (even)
direction and validity. As such, we are all obligated to contain
the personal attacks. I was disappointed that the nature of the
discourse took the negative/critical track. I think it is important
and useful to air the views and hear the arguments (both for and against any
topic of interest) of researchers from such diverse backgrounds.

My vote: Continue the discussion - without the nastiness.

Peter J. Tonellato

US Mail: Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science
         Marquette University
         Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233
Voice:   414-288-5228 (Office)
         414-288-7573 (Message)
FAX:     414-288-5472 (FAX)
Arpa:    tone@biomath.mscs.mu.edu

Ellington@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (Deaddog) (02/12/91)

In article <9102111908.AA07006@genbank.bio.net>
gribskov@FCRFV1.NCIFCRF.GOV ("Gribskov, Michael") writes:
> Perhaps a more tightly reasoned argument would be more convincing?

From my point of view, Michael, this is rather like trying to argue against
N-rays or phlogiston:  you point out that there is no evidence to support
their existence, and that's about the end of it.

I am sure that I will see justification for the project at some point,
but so far none has appeared.  I am truly mystified:  given the ability to
clone genes by a variety of methods (probing with oligos based on protein
sequences, complementation, hybridization with homologous sequences,
panning, subtraction cloning, etc.) I do not see a need to sequence
the human genome.  I do not see what information will be gained that cannot
be garnered by other, more directed means.  In terms of genetic disease,
for example, the search for a given gene would still seem to be a directed
search.

You contend that sequencing genes at random and systematically sequencing
a genome are opposites:  I contend that they are both undirected searches
and,in the current research climate, such undirected searches should not be
funded to the detriment of research which has a higher probability of
producing new insights into biology/chemistry/medicine.

While there are genome mapping/sequencing projects whose goals I understand
("we want to know the sequences of all the genes in X, because we have a
fantastic genetic map of organism X, we already know what many of the genes
do, and we don't have to worry about the 95% of the genome that is essentially
junk;therefore, the sequence of X's genome is just a way to get at a glut of
information that we can immediately interpret"), these arguments do not seem
to apply to humans.

Even in this form, though, it is not sequencing "the genome" that is
important, but sequencing "all the genes that we know are important."  It
seems as though anthrocentricity is driving this project, rather than a true
quest for scientific knowledge.

Consider:  I remember when the sequence of all of SV40 was first
determined; I also remember when the chloroplast genome was completed.  What
new lines of research have been opened up by this information?  New lines
mind you, that wouldn't have been available had not the sequence of the whole
genome been available.  For example, I am grateful for the sequences of
additional Group I introns from the chloroplast genome, but a more diverse
range of sequences has become available from directed searches of many
different genomes.

And if you defer to thinking about the sequence of the human genome as a
tool, then it is a very, very expensive tool.  And again I would suggest
that finding the mechanism of one gene which causes MS is worth much more
than knowing  the sequences of all the genes together (when you don't know
what the genes do and still have to go back and find out).

> I would certainly
> like to know the names of the ofFfFensive person or persons who "would
> suggest I should just bag my ideals and go off to happily catalogue
> genes at random.  And I am outraged that *alternative service* in
> science may come to mean just that."

David Kristofferson (apologies for mis-spelling, if such is the case)
makes the point that academics should consider industry as an option.  A
worthy point and one which I take to heart.  However, he goes on to suggest
that researchers should consider not doing 'real science,' and that a
wealth of (not-'real-science'?) opportunities will be related (just how, we
are not sure) to the Genome Project.

Thus, my obviously fanciful statement is based on:

(1) The contention that scientists should somehow be fulfilled "not doing
real science," which seems like a self-contradictory sentence, and
(2) The notion that the Genome Project will somehow provide opportunities
in industry for real or unreal science.  Again, I find this hard to imagine.

IMO (obviously H would be a bit out of place here) the Human Genome
Project does not have a direction or purpose that would make it more useful
than a telephone book in a forgotten language.

Non-woof

(Look Ma, no flames!  Yet.)

(Michael, for someone who characterized my arguments as "he doesn't like
it," you should do better than "9 out of 10 top docs support the Genome
Initiative;" rather like a National Enquirer special report.)

chacko@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (George W. Chacko) (02/12/91)

In article <9102111918.AA00663@morpheus.chpc.utexas.edu> m.witten@CERBERUS.CHPC.UTEXAS.EDU writes:
>I'm all for open discussion. But Im getting tired of the FLAME war.
>Can we cease this infantile behavior on all sides. If we want to
>get into philosophical flame wars, lets do it in usenet.sci.phil
>or somewhere like that.

Hear! Hear!

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (02/13/91)

> (1) The contention that scientists should somehow be fulfilled "not doing
> real science," which seems like a self-contradictory sentence,

ARGGHHH 8-)!!!!  Perhaps my writing is extremely unclear, but, after a
couple of attempts at clarification, this "paraphrase" still shows a
misunderstanding of my position.  I hope others who did not have a
direct involvement in this exchange understood what I was trying to
say.  It was never my intention to try and "convert" Dr.  Ellington,
but only to speak to those scientists who were *already* tired of
"real science" and let them know that, despite the trauma one can
experience in deciding to leave research, there are other fulfilling
career options out there.  Enough said on this topic.

Dave Kristofferson

steeg@ai.toronto.edu ("Evan W. Steeg") (02/13/91)

In article <Feb.12.08.23.44.1991.3915@genbank.bio.net> kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) writes:

>ARGGHHH 8-)!!!!  Perhaps my writing is extremely unclear, but, after a
>couple of attempts at clarification, this "paraphrase" still shows a
>misunderstanding of my position.  I hope others who did not have a
>direct involvement in this exchange understood what I was trying to
>say.  It was never my intention to try and "convert" Dr.  Ellington,
>but only to speak to those scientists who were *already* tired of
>"real science" and let them know that, despite the trauma one can
>experience in deciding to leave research, there are other fulfilling
>career options out there.  Enough said on this topic.
>
>Dave Kristofferson

Dr. Kristofferson,

 Good stuff!  Keep the asbestos suit on for a while longer, but
there are people out here who understand and appreciate what
you've been trying to say.

  I did my degrees in math and CS and am now finishing my
PhD in CS by working on problems in "computational biology"
(sequence analysis and RNA/protein structure prediction).
While I love "real science" and I know that my heart will
always quicken when I open up a _Science_ or _Nature_, I
am fed up and frustrated with many aspects of academic
science.  I will finish my doctorate and may even do a
postdoc or some such if I get a really good offer, but
I know that I might turn my attention before long to work
in industry and  also in science and technology policy.
Just as I don't narrowly define myself as *only* a computer
scientist, but rather as a *problem-solver* trained in a
few fields for interesting interdisciplinary work, similarly
I don't see myself as *just* a scientist but rather as a
scientifically trained thinker (well, I try,), problem-solver,
and world citizen.

  I, too, have seen the lives of friends in science *crumble*
(temporarily, thank goodness,) when their ride on the Real
Science Fast Track[tm] came to a sudden halt, due to personal
or funding reasons, and they had *no* idea that there is
anything else they could do with their intelligence, diligence,
and energy.

  The narrow, all-or-nothing views of many of our colleagues
sadden me, because their lack of breadth threatens not only
to impoverish their own lives and careers but also diminishes
the quality of scientific research, which increasingly requires
diverse backgrounds, vivid imagination across disciplines,
and flexibility w.r.t where and how science is done.

 -- Evan

--

Evan W. Steeg (416) 978-7321      steeg@ai.toronto.edu (CSnet,UUCP,Bitnet)
Dept of Computer Science          steeg@ai.utoronto    (other Bitnet)

frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca (02/13/91)

In article <5695@husc6.harvard.edu> Ellington@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (Deaddog) writes:

>I am sure that I will see justification for the project at some point,
>but so far none has appeared.  I am truly mystified:  given the ability to
>clone genes by a variety of methods (probing with oligos based on protein
>sequences, complementation, hybridization with homologous sequences,
>panning, subtraction cloning, etc.) I do not see a need to sequence
>the human genome.  I do not see what information will be gained that cannot
>be garnered by other, more directed means.  In terms of genetic disease,
>for example, the search for a given gene would still seem to be a directed
>search.

....deleted stuff about genome project competing for funds w/other science
... deleted stuff about sequencing at random

>do, and we don't have to worry about the 95% of the genome that is essentially
>junk;therefore, the sequence of X's genome is just a way to get at a glut of
>information that we can immediately interpret"), these arguments do not seem
>to apply to humans.

But how do you KNOW it's junk? There are still lots of chromosomal
functions that repetitive DNA could play, but we wouldn't have been able to
detect for lack or a global picture. Such functions might include
higher-order packaging of chromatin during chromosome condensation,
facilitation of chiasma formation,  attachment to the nuclear matrix or
the definition of functional "domains" [Bodnar, 1988]. It should be obvious
now that gene expression is _not_ just a question of having the right
promoter or enhancer. These are clearly only one component of a much more
complex mechanism for genome function that is made possible by the
deliberate organization of the chromatin in the interphase nucleus.

The importance of repetitive DNA is further underscored by evolutionary
studies such as those done by Narayan with the plant genera Clarkia,
Nicotiana, Lathyrus and Allium [Narayan (1985), Narayan (1982)]. Basically,
Narayan has demonstrated that, in a wide range of genera examined,
interspecific differences in genome sizes are in discrete increments,
rather than being a continuous variation. Similarly,  Flavell and colleagues
have used hybridization kinetics to demonstrate that specific subsets of
interspersed repetitive sequences can be selectively lost or gained as spec-
iation occurs [Flavell et al. 1977].  I am a firm believer in "junk
DNA" and I do think that a lot of the genome is junk. But not all of that 95%,`
or whatever figure you wish to use.

The Genome Project is an exploratory mission, like Darwin's voyage on the
H.M.S. Beagle. Although Darwin was perhaps perceived as an unimportant crewman
on this exploratory trip, the wealth of data obtained by Darwin served as his
'database' for thinking about biology from a global perspective. At first,
his work was merely 'bookkeeping'.  Who really cared how many types of
finch were on each island?  Nonetheless, it was these years of observation
that made it possible for Darwin to obtain the global perspective necessary
for the formulation of the most fundamental theory in biology: the theory
of evolution.

>Even in this form, though, it is not sequencing "the genome" that is
>important, but sequencing "all the genes that we know are important."  It
>seems as though anthrocentricity is driving this project, rather than a true
>quest for scientific knowledge.
Again, how do you KNOW which genes are important? At the present time, the
sequence databases are largely biased towards highly-expressed genes,
because those are the ones most likely to be detected and cloned. These are
important, in the sense that the cell needs thousands of copies of their
transcripts. But it is often the case that <25% of the mass of the mRNA
represents >95% of the sequence diversity.  There are literally thousands
of genes for which only 1-10 copies of the transcript are present in the
cell [Okamuro and Goldberg, 1989]. It is only by obtaining a clear view of
what the cell does with these rare transcripts that we will have a complete
understanding of how gene expression results in a differentiated organism.
>Consider:  I remember when the sequence of all of SV40 was first
>determined; I also remember when the chloroplast genome was completed.  What
>new lines of research have been opened up by this information?  New lines
>mind you, that wouldn't have been available had not the sequence of the whole
>genome been available.  For example, I am grateful for the sequences of
>additional Group I introns from the chloroplast genome, but a more diverse
>range of sequences has become available from directed searches of many
>different genomes.
It took Darwin more than 20 years after his voyage to understand the
meaning of the data he had collected, and publish Origin of Species. Getting
the data is the easy part, and will take a finite time. Understanding it
will take generations.  I like to compare molecular biology to planetary
astronomy.  There is so much data from space probes (eg. Ranger, Surveyor,
Mariner, Viking, Voyager, Pioneer) that it is reasonable to do an entire
PhD thesis without ever touching a telescope. Sadly, much of this data is
virtually inaccessible because NASA has not been able to do anything with
it other than store the tapes in vaults. The advances that our database
managers are making with biological sequence data should serve as a source
of optimism that the same thing will not happen to newly-obtained sequence
data.

>And if you defer to thinking about the sequence of the human genome as a
>tool, then it is a very, very expensive tool.  And again I would suggest
>that finding the mechanism of one gene which causes MS is worth much more
>than knowing  the sequences of all the genes together (when you don't know
>what the genes do and still have to go back and find out).
Yes, it is cheaper to clone one gene than to sequence the human genome. But
there are several hundred known genetic diseases in humans. With the
entire genome sequenced, we will have all of them. It seems likely to me
that sequencing the genome will be cost effective, as compared to hundreds
of separate projects to clone individual genes.