Date:         Thu, 15 Oct 87 11:06:59 CST
From:         JEFF HUESTIS <C81350JH@WUVMD>
Subject:      RE: RE: LEXICON DEVELOPMENT

[Note: This is a continuation of some discussion with Jeff Huestis
from earlier IRList issues.  Jeff has the opportunity to do
experiments with real online catalog data, and so I thought it might
be of interest to IRList readers to consider how "advanced" retrieval
methods might be tested there, and to suggest what studies could be
done with the data that is accumulating. I think that is enough
background to get you into the context of the discussion. - Ed]

I don't have the Brown corpus either, although "we could get it", I
suppose.  What I have (or "had", since I haven't seen it lately) is a
dittoed sheet of the 400 most common words, that Dillon passed out in
the first, introductory, programming course I took from him when I was
still a graduate student in linguistics.  I had somebody key that sheet
into machine-readable form when I was up at Michigan Tech.

[Now discussing idea of research project ... - Ed]
 ...  When we talk about more commitment of people resources or
extensions to our hardware environment then ... I need to
think in terms of at least a ... grant, or alternatively, I need
to find ... something "interesting" also contributes to our
support for library operations (I've done a good deal of that).  On the
other hand, if you want to talk about an intelligent front-end that
could interface with VTLS and/or NOTIS, extensible to other systems (say
other library systems as well as database searching utilities), possibly
in a distributed framework oriented toward the OSI "Linked Systems"
project that LC, RLIN, et al, are involved in, then some place
 ... might be willing to [provide funds] ...  Foundations that give
money to libraries are a lot like venture capitalists investing in expert
systems.

[Note: Well, any comments?  See next note too. - Ed]

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 16 Oct 87 16:16:10 CST
From:         JEFF HUESTIS <C81350JH@WUVMD>
Subject:      A WEIGHTY MATTER

I got started thinking about "angles" this morning while waiting for
recovery from a disk crash, and started looking at your "Extended
boolean information retrieval" paper.  I noticed the location beside
your name under the title--Ibadan--and was surprised to discover you're
an old Third World hand; there aren't too many in this business.  I did
a stint in Nepal, back in '72-'73.  In fact, that is where I got
interested in linguistics, which led to libraries and computers.

[Note: I have heard that the agricultural community is doing some
interesting work with CDROM database, and is trying to use SGML for
some of the international centers. - Ed]

The general idea of extending boolean with other techniques may be a
good "angle" ...
The arguments put forward in yours and other articles
about the shortcomings of basic boolean, and ways in which it might be
improved, may be useful in arguing against acquisition of a system that
we can't modify.

[Note: we have done some testing here with extended Boolean retrieval
on a large library catalog.  Preliminary information should come out
in an article that I expect to appear in "Information Services and
Use" in 1988 - Ed]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Nov 87 17:08:28 PST
From: emma
Subject: CSLI Calendar, November 5, 3:6 [Extract - Ed]

[Note: I thought it might be of interest to find out about visitors to
CSLI and their work. - Ed]

                            CURRENT VISITORS

   SYLVAIN BROMBERGER
   Professor of Philosophy
   Department of Linguistics and Philosophy
   Massachusetts Institute of Technology
   Dates of visit: September 1987--July 1988

   Bromberger is currently interested in the philosophy of linguistics
   and in rational acquisition of knowledge.  In the philosophy of
   linguistics he is working on conceptual issues arising in
   phonology/phonetics.  Under rational acquisition of knowledge he is
   interested in the limits that constrain search for knowledge guided by
   questions and in the semantics of interrogatives.  He is a regular
   participant of the RATAG project.

   KEITH DEVLIN
   Reader in Mathematics
   Department of Mathematics
   University of Lancaster
   Dates of visit: September 1987--August 1988

   Devlin is a mathematical logician.  About three years ago, his
   interest in set theory gave way (via a brief passage through computer
   science) to a desire to work out a genuine, mathematical theory of
   information.  He thought that the approach to this problem adopted by
   Barwise and his colleagues at CSLI was the best way to proceed, and
   has subsequently thrown his lot in with this gang.  He is presently
   writing a book on situation theory.

   CARL GINET
   Chair, Sage School of Philosophy
   Cornell University
   Dates of visit: June--December 1987

   Ginet is a philosopher on sabbatic leave from Cornell.  During his
   stay at CSLI, he will be finishing a book on action, catching up on
   the literature in epistemology, and refining software he has written
   that guides students in constructing derivations in formal logic.

   KIYONG LEE
   Department of English
   Korea University
   Dates of visit: December 1986--December 1987

   Lee is visiting CSLI on a senior research grant from the
   Korean-American Educational Commission and the Council for
   International Exchange of Scholars.  He hopes to acquaint himself with
   new developments in situation theory and semantics, and to write an
   introductory book for Korean readers.  While working on some
   foundational aspects of situation theory, he is very much interested
   in testing its adequacy in treating some concrete problems, especially
   those related to negation, quantification, and tense/aspect in Korean.
   He is participating in the STASS project while he is here and also
   continues developing a computationally tractable, functor-driven,
   phrase structure grammar of natural language by amalgamating a
   categorial grammar with HPSG.

   SALLY MCCONNELL-Ginet
   Professor
   Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics
   Cornell University
   Dates of visit: June--December 1987

   During her time at CSLI (the first half of a year's sabbatic leave
   from Cornell), McConnell-Ginet will be working on a book about formal
   approaches to the analysis of vagueness.  She will also be working on
   a semantics text for linguistics that she and Gennaro Chierchia are
   coauthoring.

   HIDEYUKI NAKASHIMA
   Senior Researcher
   Man-Machine Systems Section
   Electrotechnical Laboratory
   Dates of visit: September 1987--August 1988

   Nakashima is interested in knowledge representation, reasoning, and
   learning.  He is also interested in a model of language acquisition.
   He has his own knowledge-representation system based on logic
   programming, called Uranus.  He is planning to create a programming
   language based on situation theory.

   RONALD NASH
   Dates of visit: January 1987--July 1988

   Nash is at CSLI on a postdoctoral fellowship from the Social Sciences
   and Humanities Research Council of Canada.  He is interested in the
   philosophy of mind and normative psychology, and is particularly
   interested in the work of CSLI's RATAG and DIA projects with respect
   to the cognitive theory of emotion on which he has recently worked.
   He hopes to construct a more formal model while he is here, and will
   be looking at the various formal models being considered at CSLI.

   KASPER OSTERBYE
   Institute of Electronical Systems, Aalborg
   University of Aarhus
   Dates of visit: September 1986--September 1987

   Osterbye's recent work has been on programming languages, especially
   dealing with interactive higher-level debugging.  At CSLI, he is
   participating in the SDL project.

   GORDON PLOTKIN
   Professor
   Department of Computer Science
   University of Edinburgh
   Dates of visit: September 1987--October 1988

   Plotkin is interested generally in issues of language and logic and
   particularly in the modeling and formalization of situation theory and
   in learning situation semantics.  He is also interested in a variety
   of issues in the denotational semantics of programming languages, such
   as concurrency and probabilistic computation, and also in a usefully
   implementable general proof theory.  He is an active participant in
   the STASS project.

   BILL ROUNDS
   Associate Professor
   Department of Computer Science
   University of Michigan
   Dates of visit: September 1987--June 1988

   Rounds is a computer scientist interested in mathematical and
   computational linguistics.  He is developing logics for expressing
   grammars and for understanding grammatical properties, with special
   emphasis on unification-based grammatical systems.  These logics can
   also be used directly in implementations of such systems.  He is
   participating in the MOST project at CSLI.

   HIROYUKI SUZUKI
   Researcher
   Systems Tokyo Research Department
   Corporate Engineering Division
   Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.,Ltd.
   Dates of visit: September 1986--March 1988

   Suzuki's main interest lies in building Japanese dialog systems.  He
   is currently interested in designing a representation language for a
   computer as a participant of conversations, and clarifying strategies
   for generating sentences that are employed by human beings to keep
   conversations coherent.

   SYUN TUTIYA
   Associate Professor
   Department of Philosophy
   Faculty of Letters
   Chiba University
   Dates of visit: November 1986--September 1988

   Tutiya is interested in the development of speech acts theory within
   the framework of situation theory and situation semantics.  He is also
   interested in quantification in Japanese, in Frege and the history of
   logic after him, and has been translating `Situations and Attitudes'
   into Japanese.  He is an active participant in the STASS project.

   SUSON YOO
   Doctoral Candidate and Instructor
   Department of Linguistics
   Korea University
   Dates of visit: March 1987--February 1988

   Yoo is continuing her work with Kiyong Lee, currently at CSLI, and is
   especially interested in learning more about situation theory and
   unification grammar and investigating their universal ramifications by
   testing their linguistic significance and computational applicability
   to the analysis of Korean.

   LOTFI ZADEH
   Professor
   Department of Computer Science
   University of California, Berkeley
   Dates of visit: Fall Quarter 1987

   Zadeh developed "fuzzy" logic and set theory---the central idea being
   that truth or membership in a set isn't simply binary, but permits a
   continuum of values.  He has attended many CSLI functions over the
   past four years, especially on Thursdays, and we are pleased that he
   has arranged to be here several days a week during fall quarter.

END OF IRList Digest