Date: Thu, 10 Dec 87 00:43:51 est
From: fox (Ed Fox)
Subject: email changes

Friday, 11 Dec. 1987, vtcs1 will be unplugged.  Be sure to stop sending to
        fox@vtcs1 ...
Use BITNET: foxea@vtvax3
or  Internet: fox@vtopus.cs.vt.edu

There may be some disruption - please bear with IRList! - Ed

------------------------------

Date: 27 November 1987, 08:08:47 EST
From: Dr Abigail Ann Young      1-416-585-4504       YOUNG at UTOREPAS
Subject:   online access to standard reference works

Dear Prof. Fox,

I am a member of HUMANIST, and just received your mailing
about IRList.  I'd like to subscribe, and if possible to receive
the last archived digest, to get an idea of the level of discussion
(ie, whether I understand it or not!).   I'm trying to devise
a sensible scheme for making the information in a standard
reference work in my field (which is the history of biblical
exegesis) accessible on-line, and need to find
out as much as possible about information retrieval and
databases.

Thank you very much,

Abigail Ann Young (Dr)
Research Associate
Records of Early English Drama
Victoria College
University of Toronto
YOUNG@UTOREPAS

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 29 Nov 87 11:23 PST
From:    IIN4CLB@UCLAMVS
Subject: IRLIST question

Ed,
  re:  IRLIST.  I was intrigued by the list of current visitor
to CSLI -- very impressive.  But what is CSLI???

  Thanks for the info...

Chris

[Note: CSLI is the Center for the Study of Language and Information.
I occasionally include news from CSLI in IRList under that heading.
CSLI is located on Stanford campus, and involves people from a number
of neighboring organizations as well as visitors. - Ed]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 87 22:03:19 EST
From: dws@eddie.mit.edu (Don W. Saklad)
Subject: Re: IRList Digest V3 #41

Greetings,

...just noticed that "Discussion - Lexicon development: terms used
by library catalog searchers" article wasn't in
the digest v3 #41, yet was listed in the table
of contents?

[Note: Right!  It was in the table of contents from an earlier issue
and should have been deleted. Sorry - Ed]

Best wishes,

Don

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Nov 87 17:34:16 +0100
From: "Anthony Tomasic" <tomasic@ecrcvax.uucp>

please stop my ir-list subscription as we recieve ir-list under newsgroup
comp.theory.info-retrieval.  By the way, IR shouldn't be under the
"comp.theory" classification with all the theoretical people.  Someone must
have misunderstood IR to have something to do with information theory.
                                                Anthony

[Note: others who receive USENET may want to get IRList that way too
instead of directly.  I also wonder how the newsgroup was placed in
that category. Does anyone know? - Ed]

------------------------------

Date:         Sat, 28 Nov 87 11:56:58 EST
From:         "Gerry Gold, York University (Anthropology)" <YFAN0001@YORKVM1>
Subject:      IRNET - please sign me up

Within anthropology, I have been most interested in the problem of data
retrieval. This has led me to other disciplines and their work .. from
sociology to the physical sciences. If you are managing a newsletter on
data retrieval, please sign me up and I wull contribute if and when I can.

[Note: yes, information retrieval does involve data retrieval.  Let us
know more about what is done in anthropology with information storage
and retrieval, please. - Ed]

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 30 Nov 87 14:33:27 CST
From:         JEFF HUESTIS <C81350JH@WUVMD>
Subject:      JOB POSTING

 . . .

JOB POSTING

The following is a job posting as it appeared (more or less) in the
November 1987 issue of American Libraries.
                       ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
The applications have been even more meager than expected.  Granted, the
starting pay is rather low for the caliber of person we are looking for.
However, I am looking more for potential than experience.  Also, it is
recognized by most of the right people here that the pay is too low.  I
expect that there will continue to be upward pressure until something is
done about it.

I would appreciate it if anyone on the IRLIST could recommend some of
their more promising present or former students to me or the names of
other people who might be in a position to make such recommendations and
whose recommendations would have some weight.  If a copy of this posting
could be distributed to such persons, that would also be helpful.

While this position is most likely to appeal to a library "type", I
would consider going as far afield as a linguistics, philosophy, or
education degree (we won't even talk about CS) if the individual could
convince me of his or her interest in information retrieval.  More
particularly, this position necessarily involves a certain amount of
getting one's hands dirty with library problems--we still have a lot of
foundation work to do here.

As far as programming languages are concerned, the reference to
assembler is more to cover some basic understanding of machine semantics
than the ability to code extensively in assembler.  (The ability to read
assembler with the help of a manual is, however, important.)  Pascal, C,
etc. are fine in lieu of PL/I.

Finally, let me reiterate that this is an excellent position in terms of
the exposure (opportunity to learn) it gives to the right person,
especially someone coming straight out of graduate school and, for
whatever reason, not immediately considering the pursuit of a terminal
degree.

--Jeffrey C. Huestis
  Head, Library Systems Services
  Washington University Libraries
  St. Louis, MO 63130
  (314) 889-5409      c81350jh@wuvmd.bitnet

Systems Librarian:  [This is the official posting, with emendations.]

Participates in the ongoing development of an automated library
information system and helps to maintain the efficient operation of all
existing automated processes on a dedicated library-owned IBM machine.
[Currently a 4361 with 12 Mbytes real memory, 2 gigabytes of mass
storage.] The Olin Library System automation program receives
substantial funding from a dedicated endowment [$4 million].

Desirable qualifications are: working experience in an academic research
library; programming experience and/or coursework in assembler language
(preferably IBM360/370) and a block-structured higher-level language
(preferably PL/I); knowledge of interactive applications and
text-processing applications in an experimental context.

Required:  an MLS from an ALA-accredited library school or a graduate
degree in a discipline related to information science.

Minimum salary: $20,904.

Applications will be accepted until Nov. 30 or until the position is
filled.  Send letter of application, resume [and transcripts], and 3
letters of reference to:  Virginia F. Toliver, Director of Library
Personnel and Administrative Services, Olin Library, Washington
University, St. Louis, MO 63130.

The submission of programming samples is encouraged, but not required.

Washington University is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action
employer.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Dec 87 12:09:09 est
From: isfac stephen hirtle <idis!sch>
Subject: Classification Society Mtg

          CLASSIFICATION SOCIETY OF NORTH AMERICA

           1988 ANNUAL MEETING CALL FOR PROPOSALS

     New York City, NY    Co-Chair, Program Committee:
     June 16 - 18         Stephen C. Hirtle & Sharon L. Weinberg

     The 1988 Classification Society of North America (CSNA)
Annual Meeting will be held June 16 - 18 at the Greenwich
Village campus of New York University in New York City.  The
CSNA is a interdisciplinary organization whose purposes are
to promote the scientific study of classification and
clustering (including systematic methods of creating
classifications from data), and to disseminate scientific
and educational information related to its fields of
interests.  Programs for previous meetings may be found in
the _Journal of Classification_.

     Proposals for papers and/or symposia should be
submitted as soon as possible, and must be received by March
1, 1988.  Each proposal should consist of three copies (8
1/2 X 11 paper) of a single spaced summary for use in
judging the merits of the proposed paper and/or symposium.
The amount of time required should be indicated (15-20
minutes recommended for papers);  and, each paper should be
classified into one of the following areas:  applications,
classification, data analysis, factor analysis, mathematical
models, measurement theory, multivariate analysis, pattern
recognition, scaling, statistical methods, other (specify).
The heading of the summary should use the following format.
In the upper left corner, type the title of the paper,
author(s), institution(s).  In the upper right corner, state
the name of presenting author and the mailing address.

     For U.S. mail, please include one self-addressed,
stamped, business-size envelope for notification of
acceptance and scheduling and submit to Stephen C. Hirtle,
Interdisciplinary Department of Information Science, 752 LIS
Building, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260,
USA;  412-624-9434.

For e-mail, submit to Stephen C. Hirtle at
     UUCP:   {cadre, pitt, decvax, floyd, mcnc}!idis!sch
     CSNET:  sch%idis.uucp@pitt.csnet
     BITNET: IDIS!SCH@PITT or IDIS!SCH@PSUVAX1
Notification of acceptance and scheduling will be mailed
soon after April 1, 1988.

     Information on registration will be sent to all members
of CSNA.  If you are not a member and would like
registration information and/or other information related to
the meeting, please notify Sharon L. Weinberg, Program of
Educational Statistics, 933 Shimkin Hall, New York
University, New York, NY 10003, USA; 212-998-5206.

END OF IRList Digest